Hello dehydration! =\

HollySaurusRex

So I decided... I will stick to what I know for now and maybe stray off to experiment later. I traded my carpet cham for another jackson male. So now I have 2 males, well I got this little guy from the pet store I've been going too.. but I noticed his eyes were sunken.. so I was like oh jeez he's dehydrated.. well I got him home and he was drinking like a horse.. and then he gaped his mouth open.. well he pooped on me.. his urate was super orange and his poop was diarrhea? I think he might be sick so I messaged the lady and I'm assuming if he dies she's going to buy me a new one.. but I'm doing all I can.. giving him tons of water and I put him in his enclosure with crickets but he doesn't seem to be going after them.. he has likeno strength.. :( he had to have been like this for a few days with no water maybe even a week.. I'm posting 2 pics of his eyes before the water..

View attachment 2012-07-14 16.40.35.jpg

View attachment 2012-07-14 16.40.54.jpg

:( I hope he survives.. he's cute </3

Holly

Oh my! Those pics are shocking - he looks in such bad shape - very thin as well as dehydrated. Poor little Jackson. I would keep his humidity up and drip water over the end of his nose fairly often to encourage him to drink. I know the horn gets in the way but when I offer mine water I use that to my advantage. If you get a plastic eye dropper and let a drop form on his top lip just below the horn base he will probably drink. I know these guys don't eat much at all if they are not well hydrated. I use a very fine spray mister bottle for Monty which really helps with his hydration and humidity level.

i

Yeah lilly.. when I saw him he was in a 10 gallon glass aqaurium flipped on its side wth a few vines in there.. and just a heat bulb.. no uvb what so ever.. I thought I NEED to try and save this little guy.. it was so sad =( his eyes are getting alittle better since I sprayed him for like 15 minutes with him gulping.. and he's all different colors of green.. but I'm worried about him not having strength.. I'm going to keep working with him.. I will not give up hope on him! :D

I don't know jacksons care at all. Do you feed any/many silkworms/hornworms? I know they're good for hydrating.

Sorry I can't help more.

Well there was some improvement.. thank you both for the advice, I did give him a shower and that's when he drank and drank.. his eyes don't look too much better yet but I did feed him 2 crickets (force fed) I waited until he gaped his mouth open and then I stick a cricket in.. once it was in his mouth he was eating it like he's never aten before.. so the 2nd one I dusted with reptivite so he can hopefully get some vitamins and some strength.. i m hoping for the best! :)

AND just incase people think I'm a bad cham owner, I'm going to post pics of my healthy and handsome high blue male jackson chameleon named REX :D I love him<3

Sick Chameleon:

View attachment 2012-07-14 18.59.02.jpg

View attachment 2012-07-14 18.59.29.jpg

REX :

View attachment 2012-07-14 18.50.35.jpg

View attachment 2012-07-14 18.51.36.jpg

Holly :)

I'm new here and i dont exactly know a lot but what you are doing is amazing:). I really do hope that he gets better!

Not trying to be rude but......why did u trade a healthy carpet chameleon for a sick Jackson? Also carpets are worth alot more money than Jacksons:confused:

So I decided... I will stick to what I know for now and maybe stray off to experiment later. I traded my carpet cham for another jackson male. So now I have 2 males, well I got this little guy from the pet store I've been going too.. but I noticed his eyes were sunken.. so I was like oh jeez he's dehydrated.. well I got him home and he was drinking like a horse.. and then he gaped his mouth open.. well he pooped on me.. his urate was super orange and his poop was diarrhea? I think he might be sick so I messaged the lady and I'm assuming if he dies she's going to buy me a new one.. but I'm doing all I can.. giving him tons of water and I put him in his enclosure with crickets but he doesn't seem to be going after them.. he has likeno strength.. :( he had to have been like this for a few days with no water maybe even a week.. I'm posting 2 pics of his eyes before the water..

View attachment 59802

View attachment 59803

:( I hope he survives.. he's cute </3

Holly

He won't re-hydrate immediately. It took him a while to get into this bad condition and it will take a while for him to recover if he ever does. The loose poop could be due to a large parasite load, to organ failure, or even to a huge dose of water. One thing to remember about re-hydrating any animal is not to overdo it. Their system can only handle so much water at a given time. Give him drinks more often, but a little less volume so he can metabolize it better. If he drinks too large a volume of water in desperation it can actually cause more problems because his electrolyte balance goes haywire.

And, DON'T feed him such a large feeder while he's in that shape! He probably can't digest it. Dehydrated chams don't or can't really eat much, so even if he did swallow it he might have trouble digesting it.

Wow. Looking rough that one...

I have used in dehydration cases a 50/50 mix of water and gatoraid. I do not spray it. Usually I'll use a drip system or a srynge. Just once a day and the other times during the day I'll use regular water.

It will take a good week for the animal to look better...go easy on the feeding for the first few days. Nothing big. Just a few small food items. Good luck.

I had a sick veiled years ago. It was suggested to me to use pedialyte. Same theory as the gatorade I guess. But just throwing it out there.

Poor little guy, he's really in a bad shape. But Rex looks great so I bet the sick one is in good hands now :)

Good luck

:(

An update, The Jackson Chameleon did pass away yesterday :( i notified the reptile store owner that i deal with, and she said that the graceful she got from the same company is the same way.. so maybe they have parasites? but in return in a couple weeks she is going to order me a panther chameleon of my choice! :D i think i want a nosy be but i'm not sure! if you have ny suggestions, you should look at the thread PANTHER CHAMELEON OWNERS! i have posted :) thank you all for the posts! i do the best i can to take care of my little guys..

Holly

So sorry to hear, I sense u are leaning towards more of a blue cham so I would go with nosy be or faly

Awww, I am so sorry he didn't make it. I was so shocked at the pics you posted as i had never seen such a sick looking Jackson. You gave it your best shot and at east he had some love good care in his last few days. RIP little man. x

i do the best i can to take care of my little guys..

Holly

you get a carpet, claim to love him so much, find out it's a girl, trade it in for a sick chameleon, it dies, now you want a panther? what are you going to do if it's a girl or not the color you like, trade it in again? yeah you really do the best to take care of your guys. that's if you decide to keep it first :rolleyes: you treat them like they were shoes.

An update, The Jackson Chameleon did pass away yesterday :( i notified the reptile store owner that i deal with, and she said that the graceful she got from the same company is the same way.. so maybe they have parasites? but in return in a couple weeks she is going to order me a panther chameleon of my choice! :D i think i want a nosy be but i'm not sure! if you have ny suggestions, you should look at the thread PANTHER CHAMELEON OWNERS! i have posted :) thank you all for the posts! i do the best i can to take care of my little guys..

Holly

Parasites were only part of the problems the store's chams had. That jackson's was one of the worst I've seen and doomed as you found out. They were starved, dehydrated, stressed, and improperly cared for. IMHO, you need to slow down and think through more carefully what specific cham you will commit to. What's going to happen to your little carpet you traded?

Back
Top Bottom