Hello and Panther Build In Progress

DeltaYaz

New member here...this is my second reptile build in as many months. My older son requested a ball python for his birthday back in January. The store where we bought the snake had a collection of panther and Jackson's chameleons - my younger son decided he wanted one for his birthday, which was about 6 weeks out. Fast forward to the present, his birthday approaching in two weeks, time to get this build going. I've put a down payment on a panther from a reputable breeder I found on this forum. I also placed orders for all the equipment ahead of time so I can get the enclosure built, running, and stable prior to bringing the animal to his new home.

Here's a look...

Cage
Dragon Strand Tall Hybrid Enclosure (24x24x48)

Lighting
AquaticLife 24" Quad T5 Fixture
EcoTech Radion XR30 Pro LED
Arcadia 12% T5 Bulb
Daylight 6500K T5 Bulbs (if needed with or instead of XR30)
Heat Lamp

Hydration
MistKing Ultimate
PetsPioneer Humidifier

Other Electronics
Solarmeter 6.5R
Herpstat 2 Spyderweb

Some pictures of the progress so far. Next steps are to get the plants, finish up the branch work, and hook up all the electronics and hydration equipment.

50946925933_f837e994db_b.jpg

50947724902_8a7330dbe3_b.jpg

50947624426_ecba82d763_b.jpg

50946926058_ae1335b507_b.jpg

50946926028_b1689d4d4f_b.jpg

50947724852_7dc6042c45_b.jpg

Welcome to the forums, and great work! Make sure the 12% T5 HO bulb is the correct distance away (which will be super easy to check since you have a Solarmeter 6.5- kudos on getting that!). If you want us to review your husbandry, feel free to fill out the ask for help form, preferably in as much detail as possible, so we can help you make sure everything is 100% for your son‘s new cham!

Sure will - I'll take a look at the form and see if I need anything. I did forget to mention that I ordered BOTH a 6% and 12% UVB bulb so I can ensure the levels can be adjusted correctly.

Thanks for the reply!

Awesome looking build so far!! You seem to be sparing no expense to ensure your new pet has a good home. I'm doing the same. I just got a DS Tall Hybrid enclosure as well, and if I weren't still waiting on a custom background pic for the back wall to come in, I'd have it all assembled already. Any tips/tricks to consider when assembling my cage? Did it go exactly per instructions?

Welcome! You are motivation, these are goals for setup!!! Thanks for posting. Agree with @timber64 you are sparing no expense and that is admirable! Super excited for you and your kids. I have a feeling you all will do just fine :)

Awesome looking build so far!! You seem to be sparing no expense to ensure your new pet has a good home. I'm doing the same. I just got a DS Tall Hybrid enclosure as well, and if I weren't still waiting on a custom background pic for the back wall to come in, I'd have it all assembled already. Any tips/tricks to consider when assembling my cage? Did it go exactly per instructions?
My build went very well, it did go exactly per instructions. All the parts were there and properly labeled, all holes and panels lined up perfectly.

One tip is to pay CLOSE attention to how the inside vs. the outside of the panels are marked and described in the instructions. It was all correct in my case, but I could see where one could easily get something backwards. The good thing is that there is a bit of a self-correcting design in that if you do get something backwards, chances are you will find holes for hinges or some other connection not lining up. The other suggestion is to be careful to not overtighten things, the screen frames are sturdy enough, but you can strip out a hole if you get too aggressive. I did not have this happen to me, but I made it a point to only use hand tools and keep my impact driver in the bag. This is all called out in the instructions, but worth noting.

Ok, I've never seen that lighting option. That's Def got my attention. Would love an all inclusive fixture for heat, plant lighting and uvb lighting.

Ok, I've never seen that lighting option. That's Def got my attention. Would love an all inclusive fixture for heat, plant lighting and uvb lighting.
Yes, I ran across it while looking for a quad T5 fixture. The fact that it was designed to accept a LED fixture was a bonus. I happen to have two LEDs that I am not using from previous reef setups. This one is the easier of the two to program. You could easily slide it over to make room for a heat lamp.

I'm not asking for any help at the moment, but will go ahead and fill in the information that I have right now.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male, red body blue bar ambilobe
  • Handling - N/A
  • Feeding - Feeding instructions supplied by breeder, including supplement schedule - currently feeding 3/8" - 1/2" crickets, small silkworms, and small dubia roaches
  • Supplements - ZooMed ReptiCalcium (one with and one without D3), Repashy Lo-D, Spirulina, Bee Pollen
  • Watering - Will have a Mister and Fogger - following (to start) the hydration schedule listed on the Chameleon Academy Basics literature
  • Fecal Description - N/A
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Addressed above
  • Lighting - Type is explained above, schedule is planned to be 12 on/12 off, again following the Chameleon Academy guide for lighting and UVB
  • Temperature - Will advise when set up and running - I will be able to measure and chart temperature with the Herpstat as well as a Govee WiFi temp/humidity device
  • Humidity - See equipment list - potential to control humidity with the Herpstat, or maintain with misting and fogger schedule
  • Plants - Not bought yet, but did go to Lowe's to explore - pothos, schefflera, weeping fig, money tree, fittonia were available. I would like a wandering jew when I can find one.
  • Placement - Will be in my son's room, low traffic, one A/C vent in the room, top of cage will be roughly 6 Ft from the floor
  • Location - Northeast US

Tomorrow is the big day, we are going to pick up our new friend! I got most of the enclosure all ready to go, just need to tweak a few minor things and tidy up the tubing and wiring for all the components. I'm probably not the best decorator, but gave it my best shot.

The lighting is going to work well, I think. I have two potential basking branches - one is more directly under the UVB tube and the other is closer to the rear of the cage and under the two daylight bulbs. UVB readings on the front branch read from 2.0 on the low end to 3.8 on the high end. They tend to be in the 0.5 range on the rear branch. This is with the 12% tube - I have another 12% or 6% that I could install in the rear bank if needed.

Picture of the cage, ready to accept the plants
50984301681_131094d0d2_b.jpg

Plants watered up and ready to go in
50983596403_284f3c038d_b.jpg

Everything ready to go!
50984301401_0813d3841d_b.jpg

Looking good!! I’m working on a similar project with the same enclosure. I see you positioned the two misting nozzles at opposite corners. I like that idea. Assuming the back left corner will have lots of plants and be his hiding spot this makes sense to me. I’m curious what position others often use and why.

We got Camo home last Saturday and all is well so far. He seems happy, active, and appears to be eating well. He'll eat 2-3 small dubia and 2-3 crickets per day (he's about 3 months old). The setup is working well and is all automated now. I may add a ceramic heat fixture to have some heat with no visible light.

51007488202_e709d14040_b.jpg

51007382866_f84efbfcc5_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom