Hello All

Mandi

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some info about caring for a chameleon. I am wanting to get a young one, preferably a Veiled.

I currently have 2 garter snakes, and a whiptail lizard who is recovering from a cat attack. All of them are very healthy and happy.

Hoping to meet some awesome people and learn a lot.

I have an empty 10 gallon tank with a screen top. Is that a good starting habitat for a young Veiled?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

you will find endless amounts of care tips here.

And no a 10 gallon with a screen top will not work. A full screen Repti breeze enclosure is recommended.

Thanks for the welcomes so far.

ok. I will have to save up and get one of those screen enclosures.

How are chameleons as far as personality? Are they typically friendly if handled a lot?

Are some species more prone to being tempermental?
Which is a good starter species?

I like the look of adult veiled which is why I am leaning towards one of those.

Personalities very, and are almost always hilarioius :) It really depends on the cham about handling. Some are people lovers, and others will resort to violence if you try to handle them :rolleyes: Definitely do not handle him a bunch when you first get him, it will stress him out. Take everything slow at first.
Not sure about temperment, however I was told that Jacksons are more inquisitive, again, it depends on the chameleon.

Which is a good starter species?

My first chameleon was a Veiled :) He was great! I got him a little bit younger than I should have, but that was with trusting a petstore :rolleyes: He had a great temperment, and awesome personality. My boyfriends sister has a veiled as well, and he's kind of a butt.

I had hardly any problems with husbandry/caring for my Veiled, it actually was pretty simple after the initial set up. In saying that, it wasn't simple like some other reptile species, you have to stay on top of things, but simple as in not a "chore" I enjoyed taking care of mine, hopefully you will enjoy it as much :)

If you have any questions, the people on here are great about helping new owners :)

Back
Top Bottom