Hello all :)

ABbuggin

Hey guys!

I finally decided to get some chams! A little info about me.....

I've been breeding exotic mantids for about 5 years now.

photobucket album: http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z254/ABbuggin/Gongylus gongylodes/

I've always wanted something besides my mantids. Tarantuals didn't seem cool enough, and I don't really care for snakes. Chameleons are the only lizard I really like. :) I figured since I have a background raising exotic inverts (I work at an insectaruium at a museum) I should be fine with a pair of chams.

I've been doing a lot of "mulling" here and on other sites, but I like this one the best. I've also done a lot of research and have settled on a pair of veilds. :)

Maybe somebody on here would be interested in a trade for some mantids? :D

AB

AB

Welcome!
Here is a link for you: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

If I had babies ready, I would totally do that trade .... my eggs are not due to hatch for awhile though.
Good Luck!
Glad you're here ... mantids are a fun project at our home as well .. although we don't have any right now.

-Brad

Thanks for the link. :)

How long until they hatch? I wont be ready for any chameleons for a little bit my self....I need to make room (in my tiny bedroom). lol :D

...have settled on a pair of veilds. :)...
Howdy,

Welcome :). Unless you have your heart set on a pair right away, you might want to start out with one (a male) :eek:. That way, you only have to buy and support one enclosure for a while before you buy the second larger enclosure. Once the first Veiled is big enough to live in a 24x24x48 enclosure, you'll have the original smaller juvenile enclosure ready again for the second one until it's time to buy another large enclosure for that one.

What part of the world are you located?

I'm in the US (north carolina). :)

I may only get one male to start out with, but my reasoning with the pair is mainly because money isn't of an abundance for me. :rolleyes: If I got two juvies, they would be a LOT cheaper than buying one juv now and once he grows up, an adult female later on. Its also a time thing, I dont want to buy a juvie now and buy another and have to wait for it to mature for breeding.

But then again, I am new to chameleons, so I guess I'm undicided. lol :confused:

I'm in the US (north carolina). :)

I may only get one male to start out with, but my reasoning with the pair is mainly because money isn't of an abundance for me. :rolleyes: If I got two juvies, they would be a LOT cheaper than buying one juv now and once he grows up, an adult female later on. Its also a time thing, I dont want to buy a juvie now and buy another and have to wait for it to mature for breeding.

But then again, I am new to chameleons, so I guess I'm undicided. lol :confused:

If you are thinking of breeding, be sure that money is an abundance BEFORE you do it. Check out this thread and I've seen others on here just like it.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-18467/

If you are thinking of breeding, be sure that money is an abundance BEFORE you do it. Check out this thread and I've seen others on here just like it.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-18467/

I actually read the thread a few days ago (thanks for posting it though!), (I've been "mulling" for a few weeks). I've been researching a lot, making sure I've got all the bases covered. :)

TBH, I'm still not sure if I want 1 or 2 chams or just one. If I breed, I wouldn't have the cost of feeders, as I breed them all my self. That would save me a lot of money. :)

I guess it would be best for me to get one male for now, that way I'd have time to make sure I'm doing things right.

Sorry for all the yapping, I still trying to figure out what to do. :rolleyes:

I actually read the thread a few days ago (thanks for posting it though!), (I've been "mulling" for a few weeks). I've been researching a lot, making sure I've got all the bases covered. :)

TBH, I'm still not sure if I want 1 or 2 chams or just one. If I breed, I wouldn't have the cost of feeders, as I breed them all my self. That would save me a lot of money. :)

I guess it would be best for me to get one male for now, that way I'd have time to make sure I'm doing things right.

Sorry for all the yapping, I still trying to figure out what to do. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum!
I love mantids as well! I have 3 of them right now.
as far as your comment above, you will be surprised how many insects the little buggers can eat in a day. They eat like machines.
1 is ok. But, 40 of them... lol I bet lots of members here can chime in on it.

I agree on your thought about getting 1 male.
Make sure that you get the cham no younger than 2.5 months. During young age, they are very prone to dehydration and so on.

Also, as always, don't buy chameleons from pet store.
try to get it at reptile expo or breeders directly.
you will be a lot more content coming home with a healthy chameleon.

Welcome to the forum!
I love mantids as well! I have 3 of them right now.
as far as your comment above, you will be surprised how many insects the little buggers can eat in a day. They eat like machines.
1 is ok. But, 40 of them... lol I bet lots of members here can chime in on it.

I agree on your thought about getting 1 male.
Make sure that you get the cham no younger than 2.5 months. During young age, they are very prone to dehydration and so on.

Also, as always, don't buy chameleons from pet store.
try to get it at reptile expo or breeders directly.
you will be a lot more content coming home with a healthy chameleon.

Thanks for your input. I know how pet stores are, their animals/feeders aren't always the best. :rolleyes:

I would like to buy one from an expo (get to see it first hand, no shipping costs), but I think the one in my area isn't for a few more months, so I'll either wait or get one from off of here. :)

Thanks for your input. I know how pet stores are, their animals/feeders aren't always the best. :rolleyes:

I would like to buy one from an expo (get to see it first hand, no shipping costs), but I think the one in my area isn't for a few more months, so I'll either wait or get one from off of here. :)

Julirs, from here still has some nice ones left......check out the classified section here. Best of luck to you and you have all the members here to help you. This is a great place! Jann

If Julirs is out of males RaceMom has one with the cage and everything.....a great deal.

Last edited:
Julirs, from here still has some nice ones left......check out the classified section here. Best of luck to you and you have all the members here to help you. This is a great place! Jann

If Julirs is out of males RaceMom has one with the cage and everything.....a great deal.

Thanks so much for all your help. :) It's amazing how some forums can be so helpful, while others dont really care for the newbies.

I was really interested in the one that racemom has, I'm waiting for a response, but I'll give her a call tonight. Seems like a great deal and it save all the hassle of having to buy everything. :D

I've been talking to RaceMom a few times, but I've been waiting for pictures, and she never returns a call.....

I noticed under the classifieds that Julirs has a couple males left and some females. Everyone on here has been very happy with her babies. You might want to check them out. Her babies are a good age too for a newbie.

Back
Top Bottom