Hello all!

Welcome to the forum. Most of us are really concerned about the welfare of your cham. You can get alot of info here (altho most of it is redundant) it has been tried and tested by keepers who have hands on experience with correct husbandry.
Enjoy your journey. 😉

Sorry yall got the end of my aggravation towards the handlers I've previously encountered. Thanks Beman! I will definitely learn up and change my husbandry asap! Being a craftsman, I honestly want to make a TRUE cham kit to absolve this problem with correct products and husbandry. Im seeing so many horror stories about chams all over the place. If people were educated properly with the right products those horror stories might decrease and cham popularity might increase.
Your welcome. And we understand your frustration. This is why the chameleon academy is my go to site for new people to the hobby. It is the only site that will not steer you wrong.

This is my full setup after a little cleaning. I had only planned to keep this small enclosure for a month or two and build a proper one with drainage etc. I will update my husbandry ASAP as I am not one who fools around miskeeping animals. I will post all my cham details on a sexing thread! That might determine if I confront my reptile store!

Btw she/ he was very pissy when I picked him/ her up. This is the first time since I brought him/her home

Attachments

• 20210225_082646.jpg
    20210225_082646.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210225_082012.jpg
    20210225_082012.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210225_082051.jpg
    20210225_082051.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210225_082032.jpg
    20210225_082032.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210225_082002.jpg
    20210225_082002.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210225_081550_01.jpg
    20210225_081550_01.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210225_081640.jpg
    20210225_081640.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210225_082222.jpg
    20210225_082222.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 80
For your viewing pleasure.lol
This is essentially when I bought him.
I named him Loki, I'm not sure what to name him if he turns out to be female!

I've already spent way over $1000 so far cause I pieced everything together as most have recommended. I just want this neverending buying battle to stop. Its almost as if everyone i take info from gets a commission whether online or not. Im a furniture/ cabinet builder and there must be a better way to teach new cham owners cause what im going through would shy most away and end up truely not caring for these amazing creatures! Like create a REAL cham kit!
I know the amount of misinformation and inadequate products are so frustrating . Glad you found the forums.

This is my full setup after a little cleaning. I had only planned to keep this small enclosure for a month or two and build a proper one with drainage etc. I will update my husbandry ASAP as I am not one who fools around miskeeping animals. I will post all my cham details on a sexing thread! That might determine if I confront my reptile store!

Btw she/ he was very pissy when I picked him/ her up. This is the first time since I brought him/her home
Baby sized cage is fine for now. It will help you monitor fecals and urates. Careful on handling... Babies will jump to get away from you. Sit low on the floor and make sure there is carpet below you.

Only thing I see besides the uvb lighting. Is the plastic on the bottom. Pull that out. It is a risk because baby may climb down in between the side and plastic and have issues getting out.

You want duct window film for the outside to go over the screen. Mount it to the frame of the cage. This will keep water from getting on your walls. Then you need a drainage tray. You can either buy one from dragon strand or go the creative option using even a large storage bin lid for it to sit on then wet vac that.
OR if you do not want to deal with wet vac.
Order something like this. https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-6-2424L-Drain-Plastic-Large/dp/B00QW2J380/ref=sr_1_33?crid=1WI724OPWXN5K&keywords=hot+water+heater+pan+24&qid=1552797054&s=gateway&sprefix=hot+water+heater+pan,aps,274&sr=8-33

Put shims under the back side so the water drains to the pipe connection at the front and have that connect to a hose to drain into a bucket. You could even have the bucket on the side of your cabinet and have it angle that way as well.

How secure is the foam thing that insects climb on in his feeder?

Baby sized cage is fine for now. It will help you monitor fecals and urates. Careful on handling... Babies will jump to get away from you. Sit low on the floor and make sure there is carpet below you.

Only thing I see besides the uvb lighting. Is the plastic on the bottom. Pull that out. It is a risk because baby may climb down in between the side and plastic and have issues getting out.

You want duct window film for the outside to go over the screen. Mount it to the frame of the cage. This will keep water from getting on your walls. Then you need a drainage tray. You can either buy one from dragon strand or go the creative option using even a large storage bin lid for it to sit on then wet vac that.
OR if you do not want to deal with wet vac.
Order something like this. https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-6-2424L-Drain-Plastic-Large/dp/B00QW2J380/ref=sr_1_33?crid=1WI724OPWXN5K&keywords=hot+water+heater+pan+24&qid=1552797054&s=gateway&sprefix=hot+water+heater+pan,aps,274&sr=8-33

Put shims under the back side so the water drains to the pipe connection at the front and have that connect to a hose to drain into a bucket. You could even have the bucket on the side of your cabinet and have it angle that way as well.
Thanks for the input!! I will be upgrading my lighting when I get paid Monday. As for my plastic shower curtain I will be removing it and replacing with a drain tub and window film asap.

Back
Top Bottom