Hello all!

Hello, I am a first time cham owner and just wanted to say hey! I bought a blurple ambanja panther cham from vital_chameleon through my local reptile store a month and a half ago. She/ he was supposedly 3 months old when I purchased her/him and was sold as a male. There is a bit of discrepancy, I swear he is a she. I will post pics of my setup/ husbandry and the little guy/ girl. Im new to chams, but after doing extensive research I and from what I can see, girl... I know that is a different topic and a completely different post, as I will be posting in the sexing topic next. Hopefully y'all can teach me so much more about these amazing lizards!

Hi! I don't know much about sexing panther chams but I know there are people here who can help. More people can help you (I know it helped me) if you fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Just waiting on pics of this "blurple" little guy/gal lol sorry just suck at the waiting game
For your viewing pleasure.lol
This is essentially when I bought him.
I named him Loki, I'm not sure what to name him if he turns out to be female!

Attachments

• 20210207_102130.jpg
    20210207_102130.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210124_190213.jpg
    20210124_190213.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 94
hopefully you have upgraded your UVB lighting. The compact bulbs are not recommended

hopefully you have upgraded your UVB lighting. The compact bulbs are not recommended for chameleons.
I asked my local reptile store this question if I needed a t5 system, which I'm accustomed to. They suggested I use mercury vapor bulbs considering they have an output of uva and uvb. I only use the compact florescent style uvb for a larger roaming top canopy. I did not use any "chameleon" kit lights. My uva/uvb penetration is decent, of course it could be better.

I asked my local reptile store this question if I needed a t5 system, which I'm accustomed to. They suggested I use mercury vapor bulbs considering they have an output of uva and uvb. I only use the compact florescent style uvb for a larger roaming top canopy. I did not use any "chameleon" kit lights. My uva/uvb penetration is decent, of course it could be better.
Are you using the MV bulbs with a solarmeter 6.5? These bulbs put out very high output of UVI and heat. They are dangerous without a solarmeter to give you the exact distance. Which is why they are not recommended within the hobby unless you have a solarmeter to dial in the UVI level to basking distance.

Ugh! Ok. Someone needs to have a set husbandry with products and product information cause I'm getting a TON of discrepancy between products and information given. I can't get certain products people suggest because they are only online and shipping to my location is a joke.
I've been trying to get everything right as much as possible, apparently I've wasted much money so far...
I will keep husbandry up to tip top condition if I can help it, but I cannot afford a $300 light meter especially if its trash in the first place. I'd rather buy a cheap heating lamp with the proper system. Where do you suggest I buy a t5 with the bulb in the spectrum my cham needs?

I've already spent way over $1000 so far cause I pieced everything together as most have recommended. I just want this neverending buying battle to stop. Its almost as if everyone i take info from gets a commission whether online or not. Im a furniture/ cabinet builder and there must be a better way to teach new cham owners cause what im going through would shy most away and end up truely not caring for these amazing creatures! Like create a REAL cham kit!

I've already spent way over $1000 so far cause I pieced everything together as most have recommended. I just want this neverending buying battle to stop. Its almost as if everyone i take info from gets a commission whether online or not. Im a furniture/ cabinet builder and there must be a better way to teach new cham owners cause what im going through would shy most away and end up truely not caring for these amazing creatures! Like create a REAL cham kit!
I so hear you!!!! Struggles many of us have been through. You’re not alone, friend! My wallet hurts :ROFLMAO: All I can say is IMO and in the opinions of many here, the chameleon academy is the best way to go for soaking in information. I know of no other similar comprehensive source.

At least with the chameleon academy, you hear from actual professionals and experts throughout the fields of lighting, nutrition, insects, locales, herpetology... this is real research!!! I’d lean into that resource and this community.

Arcadia and Reptisun seem to be the top options for T5 UVB lighting. I’m sure others will chime in! Unfortunately, the nature of the hobby is to piece things together.

Ugh! Ok. Someone needs to have a set husbandry with products and product information cause I'm getting a TON of discrepancy between products and information given. I can't get certain products people suggest because they are only online and shipping to my location is a joke.
I've been trying to get everything right as much as possible, apparently I've wasted much money so far...
I will keep husbandry up to tip top condition if I can help it, but I cannot afford a $300 light meter especially if its trash in the first place. I'd rather buy a cheap heating lamp with the proper system. Where do you suggest I buy a t5 with the bulb in the spectrum my cham needs?

This is why I gave you this link for all correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/
This website is done by Bill Strand a leader in our hobby. He also has the chameleon caging company Dragon strand and the podcasts here https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

Everyone has been there buying incorrect items because we are told by uneducated idiots that we are supposed to buy them.

For your system... You want a basic basking fixture with a regular 60watt bulb. Temps your looking for at basking are 80 degrees.
Then for UVB you want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. This would be placed on the screen top with basking 8-9 inches below to give you an approximate 3 UVI level.

Since you have live plants you will need plant lighting as well. So either a cham safe LED option such as jungle dawn bars or sansi led lights. Or you can go with 6500 day light bulbs that are in T5HO fixtures.

I run 3 of these T5HO fixtures... They come with the daylight bulbs and can daisy chain together or turn on independently. 1 of my fixtures I have replaced the daylight bulb with a 6% arcadia UVB bulb. This one only has to be replaced every 12 months.
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

Here is the link to the 6% bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html

Welcome to the club. Most of the people on here including myself have spent money on useless lights and accessories. You should definitely listen to @Beman As they are a lot of members go to person for all sorts of help on here.

Sadly and unfortunately this is the case lots of undereducated people in ( chameleon requirements) in pet shops sell stuff well that is rubbish or not correct (or stuff that is mass sold by the big companies that is not great/ incorrect ) for example zoo med chameleon. Neptune the chameleon you tube has done a run down on requirements and costs and lots of great videos.

Sorry yall got the end of my aggravation towards the handlers I've previously encountered. Thanks Beman! I will definitely learn up and change my husbandry asap! Being a craftsman, I honestly want to make a TRUE cham kit to absolve this problem with correct products and husbandry. Im seeing so many horror stories about chams all over the place. If people were educated properly with the right products those horror stories might decrease and cham popularity might increase.

Back
Top Bottom