Heisenberg fasting/odd behavior :(

ojr5

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther, male, 1 yr old, in care since 4 mo.
Handling - Once every few weeks to examine for any issues
Feeding - Started on crickets, then to dubias, feeding schedule WAS about 7 crickets/dubias a day which would last from 1-2 days. In a pinch, ~1/month, some mealworms.
Supplements - herptivite every 2 weeks, Repcal w/o D3 every time, Repashy w/D3 every 10 days
Watering - One side of cage is wet area w/humidifier and dripper, heavy misting in morning and drip/humidifer through afternoon and heavy misting in evening. I used to have someone misting him throughout the day but that hasn't been the case in about the past month and a half, just a real heavy misting in a.m., humidifier and dripper (lasts about 1-2 hrs) throughout day and a misting at night. He seemed to be doing fine on this but perhaps it's time to get a mistking.
Fecal Description - Last freshly observed feces was ~14 days ago, was ideal. Poos always have been picture-perfect basically.
History - Heisenberg has generally been doing very well, he started acting differently when I moved apartments about 2 months ago. Colors darkened and became a little lethargic but was still eating.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, large reptibreeze
Lighting - 12h on/12h off. Arcadia 12% UVB, two 60W heat bulbs in different spots, one 3000k lamp light
Temperature - Ambient temp about 70 during day w/one basking spot at 80ish another around 90. Drops to about 55 at night.
Humidity - around 50 on dry side and basically saturated on wet side with a range in between.
Plants - One massive Umbrella, one small one.
Placement - On a stand, top is about 6 ft high, nothing noteworthy. Nobody in there during the day.
Location - NYC

Current Problem -
Heisenberg has generally been doing very well, he started acting differently when I moved apartments about 2 months ago. Colors darkened and became a little lethargic but was still eating. Seemed to adjust after a bit and do OK. Now it's been about 10+days without any sign of Heisenberg eating or being interested in doing so. He's had dubias in his bowl, then some crickets. Nothing. Let one crawl past the screen next to him and he's uninterested.

Apart from this fasting he honestly seems fine. He moves around easily, is fairly active, his grip is strong, his mouth (inside/out) looks exactly as a chameleon's should (comparing to previous posts/photos), his tail curls perfect Fibonnaci, his eyes are always open and not sullen, and his colors are usually pretty gorgeous.

I have noticed one other thing, which could be my imagination, but it does seem his right side is a little 'inflated' some times. But it could just be his shape, I'm not sure. Pic below of him on branch attempts to show this.

I've read chameleons may go on a fast but for how long? the last thing I'm sure he ate was a mealworm or two about 10-14 days ago. There have been a few crickets disappear from his bowl but we all know how that goes, no reason to believe it's him.

I'm thinking a vet visit is in order to check for parasites but any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I spot-clean the cage and clean out the feeding bowl regularly, and there is no standing water. Is a piece of driftwood that is regularly misted/wet a point of concern for mold?

Four attached pictures are current (the fifth - of him curling backward looking up, is from a month ago). The one where he looks lethargic is about the worst I see him, when he lays flat on his stick before bed.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Snapchat-20141005042819.jpg
    Snapchat-20141005042819.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Snapchat-20141005042838.jpg
    Snapchat-20141005042838.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 10632768_10153274610694408_6037978921314498184_n.jpg
    10632768_10153274610694408_6037978921314498184_n.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 1413140980874.jpg
    1413140980874.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 1912545_10153184425729408_3077628075050542724_n.jpg
    1912545_10153184425729408_3077628075050542724_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
also, as i'm in Manhattan and there are very few herp vets with good reviews, any input is ESPECIALLY appreciated.

also, as i'm in Manhattan and there are very few herp vets with good reviews, any input is ESPECIALLY appreciated.

I know you are concerned, but I am not seeing anything very obvious here. He looks beautiful to me. If you are still offering food daily, stop. At this age he isn't growing nearly as fast and may simply not have as much appetite. Offering food every other day is plenty. I wonder if you are seeing the effects of several things:

Boredom: Chams often decide they are bored with their usual diet and stop eating. Sometimes offering flying feeders such as houseflies can get them interested again. If you can weigh him do so. He may not be losing much weight during a fast.

Time of year: it is normal for chams to slow down in our fall-winter even if their cage lighting hasn't really changed. Slight drop in room temp and daylight intensity still affects them. You've moved, and he may still be adjusting right at the age he would normally not eat as much, at a time of year when he may be slowing down, and if he's roaming more than usual he may be mate hunting instead of food hunting.

IMHO a parasite load isn't likely to stop him eating. Its always a good idea to get a fecal checked periodically so you know what he might be carrying and to what degree. Stress can create a bloom in parasites. I doubt that's the issue, but its a simple test that may reveal a problem.

Thanks for the input Carlton. Let's hope that's true!

I'm working on setting up a fecal test once I find a well-reputed vet (regretting not doing this earlier...) but, since he hasn't eaten, I'm not sure what I'll take in for a sample without any defecation.

What's the longest-lasting hunger strike that people have heard of? Is there another way to pique his interest apart from flies? Unless... can one get wingless flies?

I'm going to try taking his plant into the shower this evening for a little humidity bath as I've read that can help with digestion issues in case that's at play.

Is there another way to pique his interest apart from flies? Unless... can one get wingless flies?

I'm going to try taking his plant into the shower this evening for a little humidity bath as I've read that can help with digestion issues in case that's at play.

Um, the thing about flies that intrigues them is the flying aspect. The flies will tend to cluster up toward the light/heat, so if you put some fresh fruit on a wire or skewer at the cage top it will help keep them there.

Back
Top Bottom