Heatpad for dubia colony

nstd

Established Member
Do you guys mount the heat pad on the inside or outside of the rubbermaid and on the sides or bottom?

I currently have the small fluker at the bottom with a piece of glass and it heats up the tub to 71 during the day and down to 60ish at night. I know i need to bring that temp up.

Personally I keep mine underneath the container. Rubnermaid brand containers are made a little better than the off brand ones. Some of the off brand containers are made thin and the plastic will melt or thin out with the heat pad underneath. I have never personally had that issue, but I've heard a lot of people mention that. I've had dubia roaches for 6 years, and I've had my heatpad under the container. I've never had an issue before.

Might be better off with some Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape and maybe a light bulb dimmer for tuning. The stuff is pretty cool running (20 watts per square foot) so melting plastic is not an issue.

Do you guys mount the heat pad on the inside or outside of the rubbermaid and on the sides or bottom?

I currently have the small fluker at the bottom with a piece of glass and it heats up the tub to 71 during the day and down to 60ish at night. I know i need to bring that temp up.
I mount mine on the outside sides of all my dubia colonies and it works just fine for correct temp gradient. I have had them for about 2 years now. I use the Rubbermaid tote method as well. Underneath does work to, you just have to make sure to pay attention to the type of material the container with heat pad is sitting on.

So where can you get this stuff? Walmart?
How much does it cost?
From what I understand, you have an electric heat pad that you plug into the outlet. How do you control the temperature?

Might be better off with some Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape and maybe a light bulb dimmer for tuning. The stuff is pretty cool running (20 watts per square foot) so melting plastic is not an issue.

Where do you get the flex watt? How do you set it up?

If you are not using it with a species who needs high humidity (which you are doing dubia) going underneath is fine. Just be careful to only mount on about 1/3 of either the side or underneath. They need to be able to regulate safely

I use these under my bin.. first i had it in between a towel just to test how hot it gets.. but now i have the towel on my run then the mat and then the bin. Im ordering a second one for the side too because its not getting warm enough for breeding I dont think.. i keep waiting and waiting and nothing.. I did see one tiny roach.. but not sure if he was in there from the start or if they did have one bunch of babies... These mats also have a temp regulator.. i keep it on high tho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182354531722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I use these under my bin.. first i had it in between a towel just to test how hot it gets.. but now i have the towel on my run then the mat and then the bin. Im ordering a second one for the side too because its not getting warm enough for breeding I dont think.. i keep waiting and waiting and nothing.. I did see one tiny roach.. but not sure if he was in there from the start or if they did have one bunch of babies... These mats also have a temp regulator.. i keep it on high tho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182354531722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

what's the temp inside your enclosure?

To be completely honest.. I have no idea hahaha my house is kept at 75-77 degrees and it has the heat pad in a closet.. ill put a thermometer from a cage and check tonight...lol I need to buy more thermometers.. educated guess is its around 80-85 in there... Have not had one dead roach yet tho.. had them for about 2 months now.. but it says they will lay every 2 months.. soo maybe tonight ill have a dubia explosion... lol

It depends how old they are and how long they've been adults. The funny thing is I have seen some of my females give birth just when I am cleaning and rooting around. It's absolutely amazing watching them go through contractions and all of a sudden pushing out around hundred tiny white nymphs <3

Back
Top Bottom