Heating

Destany

How to bring down the heat in my cage.

We were told by everyone on here to keep the temp in the cage highest at 80 degrees.
We moved down to a 50 watt basking light and moved the uvb light strip up off the cage so it would put out less heat into the cage.
The uvb bulb is a t5 5.0 uvb reptisun.

The heat is still getting up very high. There is not a chameleon inside the cage yet but need to have it figured out before we get our new baby.
Right now inside the cage it is 100 degrees in the basking spot with both of the lights on.

Also was going to ask why when we took our chameleon to the vet and I told her that our basking spot in our other cage was at 80-85 degrees she said we were doing it wrong and that her basking spot should get all the way up to 100 degrees, but everything else I have read and been told is that 80 degrees is the highest to get.

How to bring down the heat in my cage.

We were told by everyone on here to keep the temp in the cage highest at 80 degrees.
We moved down to a 50 watt basking light and moved the uvb light strip up off the cage so it would put out less heat into the cage.
The uvb bulb is a t5 5.0 uvb reptisun.

The heat is still getting up very high. There is not a chameleon inside the cage yet but need to have it figured out before we get our new baby.
Right now inside the cage it is 100 degrees in the basking spot with both of the lights on.

Also was going to ask why when we took our chameleon to the vet and I told her that our basking spot in our other cage was at 80-85 degrees she said we were doing it wrong and that her basking spot should get all the way up to 100 degrees, but everything else I have read and been told is that 80 degrees is the highest to get.
When you say basking bulb is it a basking bulb as in focused heat with a flat bottom bulb? If so this is the issue. You want a regular incandescent white household bulb.

Your vet was wrong about temps. Chameleons die under those extreme temps. This is the issue with having Vets that do not know the exact husbandry for the specific animal. They use their links for info which is not always accurate.

With a female no hotter than 80 at basking. With a male 80-85max at basking.

With a young cham always no hotter than 80.

When you say basking bulb is it a basking bulb as in focused heat with a flat bottom bulb? If so this is the issue. You want a regular incandescent white household bulb.

Your vet was wrong about temps. Chameleons die under those extreme temps. This is the issue with having Vets that do not know the exact husbandry for the specific animal. They use their links for info which is not always accurate.

With a female no hotter than 80 at basking. With a male 80-85max at basking.

With a young cham always no hotter than 80.
Yes my basking bulb is the flat bottom bulb.
I will try the different bulb.
If we have the uvb strip and the bulb you told me to change it to and the cage is still very hot is it okay to not have a extra bulb just use the uvb?

Also the vet told me that 50 percent humidity during the day is okay but told me it should be close to 100 percent humidity at night.
But at night my humidity never gets high when all the lights go out. Even when the mister kicks on before the lights go out.

Yes my basking bulb is the flat bottom bulb.
I will try the different bulb.
If we have the uvb strip and the bulb you told me to change it to and the cage is still very hot is it okay to not have a extra bulb just use the uvb?
Yes it is but on a screen or even hybrid I seriously doubt you will get 80 degree temps with just the 1 UVB T5. If you are running LED plant lights then it would be possible. In summer those that run multiple lights will turn off a basking fixture if temps at the top branches are basking level temps. Those flat bulbs produce really intense hot spots with high heat. I think you will find the regular incandescent works much better.
Also the vet told me that 50 percent humidity during the day is okay but told me it should be close to 100 percent humidity at night.
But at night my humidity never gets high when all the lights go out. Even when the mister kicks on before the lights go out.
40-50% daytime humidity and only up to 100% at night if you can get a temp drop down down to 65 at least, you do not want hot temps with high moisture levels. This is simply another hydration method. Most will use foggers at night if they can achieve the temps needed along with air circulation deeded. Without proper temps and circulation respiratory infections are possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom