Heating

jennleila

Im having trouble getting my cham's basking spot to 85-95. It stays at 80 degrees. It is 5 inches down from the 100 watt basking bulb. Is it safer to get a 150 watt bulb rather than move her basking area up to only 3 inches below the bulb? Im not sure what to do to raise the temp. I know most people can get it to ideal temps with 60 to 100 watt bulbs. I have an all screen 24x24x48.

I recently removed a red heat lamp and replaced it with a household bulb and had to increase the wattage to get the same temperature. I'm not entirely sure it is the bulb or the draftinessof my home with the cold weather.

Couple of things I would do.

First, instead of using one high wattage bulb that gets super hot I've had really good results with 2 lower wattage bulbs. Like a 75 watt and a 40 watt. The 40 watt warms up the ambient a bit and allows the 75 to get the basking spot warmer. Also if you don't have a good reflector buy the indoor flood style bulbs, they direct heat much better.

Also, if your house is drafty you will need to cover up 2 - 3 sides of the screen enclosure. There will be plenty of air movement with one open side and avoiding cold drafts is way more important.

Back
Top Bottom