Heating/Basking Lamp!

MaryMoorebid

Okay so I have a little anxiety about how hot the lamp is, is it supposed to feel BURNING hot when I put my hand near the top? Or is this normal?

Putting your hand really close to the bulb will be hot yes.

That's why the basking branch should be 6-8" away.

What wattage bulb is it?

The real issue is how hot the basking site is. The best way to tell is with an IR thermometer. What type of bulb are you using? How far away from the basking site is it?

Yep, as stated by others, get an infrared temp gun and point it directly at your Chameleon's branch by the basking spot. I got one for $8 with free shipping on Ebay and it works great compared to the $50 I got locally. If it is indeed to hot, adjust the wattage of the bulb you're using.

Her basking temp is good always less than 90 degrees. What I think im really worried about is the lamp over heating on its self and breaking. I believe I either have a 75 watt or a 100 watt.

I'm curious as to what kind of lamp you are using. Naturally your lamp is going to get hot, that's why you need to buy a lamp that can handle that kind of heat. Is the electrical housing plastic or ceramic?? You definitely need one that is ceramic. A 75 watt bulb is plenty IMHO.

Okay so I have a little anxiety about how hot the lamp is, is it supposed to feel BURNING hot when I put my hand near the top? Or is this normal?

Remember, using your hand to determine a basking temp just won't work very well. What feels hot to you (with your body temp of 98.6 F) could be near or over 100 F, much too hot for a cham's basking area. Get a temp gun and use that to judge the temps.

Just an observation I've had recently regarding temp guns in the past and i'm not sure if it will make much of a difference to most people's set ups and will probably just highlight my temperature OCD :p. I've used a temp gun on my chameleon's basking branch before in order to take a measurement and altered the wattage of the bulb or the distance of the heat bulb accordingly. However I didn't take into consideration the height of my chameleon. The temperature reading the temp gun takes is at the chameleon's foot level and therefore where the heat hits him on his back would be a higher temperature than what the gun indicates. I now use a digital thermometer and have the probe hanging at the distance from the bulb where my chameleon's back is. This also helps with a real time basking temp which can change depending on the changes in ambient room temp.... As I said temperature OCD o_O

Im feeling kinda better about the lamp now. And yes it is ceramic, and yes I have a heat gun its always at a constant 80-85 degrees

Back
Top Bottom