HEAT!

BabyRANGO

I use a 60w heating bulb. But my screen take temp won’t go any higher than about 50-60 degrees.
My humidity is perfect all the time. It’s at a steady 70%

But what should I do about the heat!

Rango stays close to the bulb which I’m afraid is because he’s cold :(

What is the basking site temperature? If that is too low you can add a higher wattage bulb, but if not you can add another heat lamp. I use two in my enclosure to provide different basking sites and temps. It definitely adds to the overall heating and even helps with nightly temperature drops (more noticeable variance).

i use a 100 w uvb basking bulb and basking temp is 85 but my cage is also 6ft tall. if i where you id get a chorded thermometer and put it under the bulb. if still too cool the i would bump up the wattage

that could be 100 percent right but if its not getting past 60 i would try it again. as long as you dont see him hanging his mouth open (overheated) then he should be fine. plus you can always just find a stand for the light and raise and lower it for the perfect temp. how old is he? i have two one being 8 months and one around 6 months and its fine for them

@nightanole said..."Um have you not looked into the weather of the home terf? Its called the yemen chameleon. December it was 70F daily high and below 45F most nights. Hell in summer it might get to 85F June of last year"... It's true that the temperatures in parts of Yemen do drop quite low sometimes during the year but they don't live at that temperature all year and that's what I think you made it sound like. Just because they CAN tolerate those low temperatures doesn't mean they will do well in them. They are one of the few species of chameleons that can tolerate temperature ranges that wide though they prefer to live in a temperature range of 75 to 95 degrees F. Please stop swearing...I find it offensive.

Evidently my veiled just cant take the heat. Much above 85 and he starts hiding in the room. 75-80 seems to be his peak activity level. Even at 60 in the winter (it doesnt drop below that at night) he still just warms up on the lamp, wonders over and looks out the window for an hour, rinse repeat.

I HAd my male VIEled in a glass tank, same 60w temperature would be 85 . He would die rocket get out of the tank. So I recently bought him his mesh tank. He loves it but as I informed you guys it’s not hot temp usually is 60-70 ! He doesn’t seem to be to happy.

I’m a new Cham owner by the way. I got him about two weeks ago.

How do I create a basking temp? Pet store told me to buy a heating pad and stick it under. But I don’t want to cook my little guy! What should I do !

Definitely do not use a heat pad. Are you measuring the temperature directly under the basking bulb?? With what instrument? It's very hard for me to believe that a 60W bulb can't get the temp above 70 for the basking spot alone... I use a 60W bulb for my 4' tall screen enclosure and I had to lower the branches to make sure it wasn't getting to hot (as it was in the 90s when I was first setting up).

How are you measuring the basking temperature? I highly recommend a digital temperature gun so you can accurately pinpoint the temperature grades throughout your enclosure. I personally use a 100w household bulb to achieve my temperature goal.

Back
Top Bottom