Heat wave in uk

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi its Currently breaking temp records here in the uk Q1 do I turn off the heat light ( which I have done) Q2 do I uncover the sides of her enclosure temps are around 80/86f and humidity is at 80/ 90,% windows open during the day ( she is sitting lower down in her enclosure at the front where there is more cooler air) thinking about leaving windows/ window open 2night tonight. I know reading another thread sure they will experience fluctuations in temps and humidity in the wild but my girl isn't in the wild any thoughts as I'm sure you guys and gals on the other side of the pond will experience higher temperatures and humidity fluctuations than here in the uk . Tia

I would turn all her lights off. you can put ice packs on top of her cage and the cold will seep down slowly. Just monitor temps closely. What kind of Cham do you have? Do you have a fan running in the room to circulate air? Not on her but around her cage.

I would go ahead and turn off the basking light any time the temp reaches or exceeds basking temp.
If this is a one or two day wave, you can probably turn off the other lights. If longer, I'd turn on the UVB as normal. Plant lights—use your best judgment.

I would uncover the sides for air movement; I prefer cooling misting water with a little ice to ice cubes on top of an enclosure. Just watch the water temp.

Panther. The is set to last a couple of weeks so will be keeping the uv on and have turned fogger off as last night with windows open the temp was around high 60s to mid 70s f

. Decided to not uncover the enclosure just leave corresponding windows open as if/ when I get hybrid enclosure won't be able to uncover. I have small mini fans lucky reptile but don't know if they would do much

. Decided to not uncover the enclosure just leave corresponding windows open as if/ when I get hybrid enclosure won't be able to uncover. I have small mini fans lucky reptile but don't know if they would do much
They'll do more than you might think. If you still have packaging or can look up the models online, you should be able to find a rating. Here, it's "cfm" (cubic feet per minute); yours may be rated in cubic liters or cubic meters per minute. It tells you how much air they can move.

Can't see any capacity. Don't know if this makes sense 🤔?
20210720_155348.jpg

Air movement and turn off all lights except UVB. If you can buy a window unit air conditioner this would help not only pull your humidity down but lower temps.

Ice packs on top of the cage will help as well.

Can't see any capacity. Don't know if this makes sense 🤔?

With MY eyes? :ROFLMAO:

OK, I copy/pasted it and blew it up. That info. should be with the "Technical Data:"
That it's not concerns me a little, but it may be nothing. Fans that are marketed to specific hobbies are (IME) often (not always) somewhat vague & almost always overpriced.

Unfortunately, the archives are down for maint. ATM (There are threads about these fans), and for some reason, Amazon UK is insisting I allow their cookies (never seen that before). But I suspect the info is out there someplace.

Yeah thanks can't find anything currently . Yeah the instructions are vague I think a politican wrote them down lol. So anyway I last used them on my exo terra glass tank 2 back left input 2 front right output

WHY I DON'T LIKE ICE (or PACKS) ON TOP OF ENCLOSURES:

It definitely rains in rainforests, and we regularly utilize drippers, misters, foggers, etc., but the water temperature of any of those isn't at or near freezing, which water dripping from ice (or condensation dripping from packs) is. Sure, it can hail in some chameleon regions, but hail usually accompanies thunderstorms, which would send most forest dwellers running for cover in vegetation several orders of magnitude denser than what's in a typical enclosure, protecting them from both extreme cold and bombardment.

There's no question that chilled water can have an enhancing effect on evaporative cooling
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378778817319977
but IMO, water near freezing is too cold for our tropical habitat chameleons.

Instead, I would suggest/recommend adding some ice (not a figurative ton) to misting reservoirs. This temperature can be measured and controlled with an inexpensive kitchen thermometer (one that goes down to freezing) and hold cooler temperatures if occasionally mixed/stirred.

Cooling the water down to typical nighttime temperatures (mid-60sF) and misting manually—or modifying misting programming during these heat waves—should be adequate to provide the evaporative cooling we're trying to achieve.

Yes I also think this better. I wouldn't be putting ice cubes up top . Just as an aside also for members with large reservoirs would be a good idea to keep an eye on the temp of water in them I have an aquarium sticker on mine ( don't know how accurate) so stuck a probe in around 22c so stuck a couple of cubes in down to 15c and also adjust my manual mister thanks @ kyldeo'scope

So imo the last fan configuration on the glass exoterra two back in two front out opposite sides worked OK but I'm thinking with this repti breeze back and sides covered and chimney effect it would be better to have 2 or all 4 fans up top back all out ?

So imo the last fan configuration on the glass exoterra two back in two front out opposite sides worked OK but I'm thinking with this repti breeze back and sides covered and chimney effect it would be better to have 2 or all 4 fans up top back all out ?
Is there an air intake at/near the bottom?

WHY I DON'T LIKE ICE (or PACKS) ON TOP OF ENCLOSURES:

It definitely rains in rainforests, and we regularly utilize drippers, misters, foggers, etc., but the water temperature of any of those isn't at or near freezing, which water dripping from ice (or condensation dripping from packs) is. Sure, it can hail in some chameleon regions, but hail usually accompanies thunderstorms, which would send most forest dwellers running for cover in vegetation several orders of magnitude denser than what's in a typical enclosure, protecting them from both extreme cold and bombardment.

There's no question that chilled water can have an enhancing effect on evaporative cooling
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378778817319977
but IMO, water near freezing is too cold for our tropical habitat chameleons.

Instead, I would suggest/recommend adding some ice (not a figurative ton) to misting reservoirs. This temperature can be measured and controlled with an inexpensive kitchen thermometer (one that goes down to freezing) and hold cooler temperatures if occasionally mixed/stirred.

Cooling the water down to typical nighttime temperatures (mid-60sF) and misting manually—or modifying misting programming during these heat waves—should be adequate to provide the evaporative cooling we're trying to achieve.

I just fill a dripper full of ice and set it to full bore.

Back
Top Bottom