heat lamp at night?

just a quick question, do veiled chameleons need a heat lamp on at night? i’ve been using it at night, but i’ve been reading that there should be a drop in temperature. i just don’t want to turn it off, if it’s not good for her.

No, no heat lamp at night needed, they can handle nighttime temp drops that are quite low. It's better for them with no supplemental heat at night unless it's getting crazy low, like 40 degrees.
it would be 50° ish if i turn it off, that’s the house temp. i’ve been using it on her for a few months, should i just completely turn it off tonight?

Lets make it simple. If you are comfortable with just normal blankets it is not too cold. 50ish is fine, on the cool side but nothing to panic over. If it gets below 50f then maybe heat.
Here is the issue with heat at night. The need it cool 55f-65f is great, The also need it humid, like as close to 100% as you can get. Any heat source will dry the immediate area, hence not the best. So no heat at night. But what if my temps are regularly below 55 and even into the 40s. OK so this may require heat, but at this I would have to assume the region itself is very cold. SO in this case I would set up specifically to handle this. This might not be what is always standardly prescribed but in some situations it is the right setup. If you overall climate is clod and dry we would need more pics and info on how to get it dialed in.

Hi and yeah turn off night time heat ( what are you using at night for heat? and are you measuring this throughout the night) 50 f at night is fine . But if you have any concerns a govee mini is a great way to keep track of all your temps ,humidity, day and night

Lets make it simple. If you are comfortable with just normal blankets it is not too cold. 50ish is fine, on the cool side but nothing to panic over. If it gets below 50f then maybe heat.
Here is the issue with heat at night. The need it cool 55f-65f is great, The also need it humid, like as close to 100% as you can get. Any heat source will dry the immediate area, hence not the best. So no heat at night. But what if my temps are regularly below 55 and even into the 40s. OK so this may require heat, but at this I would have to assume the region itself is very cold. SO in this case I would set up specifically to handle this. This might not be what is always standardly prescribed but in some situations it is the right setup. If you overall climate is clod and dry we would need more pics and info on how to get it dialed in.
i try to keep it very humid at night, since i stopped using the heat lamp at night it’s been staying better. any other ideas or recommendations on how to hole humidity throughout the night, or just in general?

Also make sure the nighttime temps are at or below 65*F with enough airflow for fogging. Make sure you only get a cool-mist fogger. The fogger, tubes, and any other accessories used need to be properly and thoroughly cleaned at least once a week. If the fogger you get comes with crinkly tubing, replace the tubing with either vinyl tubing or PVC pipe

i try to keep it very humid at night, since i stopped using the heat lamp at night it’s been staying better. any other ideas or recommendations on how to hole humidity throughout the night, or just in general?
Is the enclosure all-screen or hybrid? Hybrid enclosures are much easier to control humidity.
An alternative is wrapping a screened enclosure in a moisture/vapor barrier, creating a sort of shower stall out of the enclosure. Enclosures need ventilation, but sufficient air-change can actually be accomplished with very little screen area—usually just the top and a small area/panel in front below the door.

Back
Top Bottom