Heat bulb exploded over enclosure!

SacredFootballLB

The heat bulb exploded at about 3:30 this morning. I'm kind of worried that it could affect Sammi. I know there are toxic chemicals in the bulbs and was wondering what I should do. Luckly, no glass got in the enclosure because of the tight wire mesh.

She was very unhappy when it happened too. It probably really scared her. When I was cleaning up the class, she was all dark and hissing; she's never hissed at me before :( When I used to go pick her up, she' try to scurry away but that was about it. Now I'm worried she'll go all defensive and hiss/bite :(

Any advice?

The heat bulb exploded at about 3:30 this morning. I'm kind of worried that it could affect Sammi. I know there are toxic chemicals in the bulbs and was wondering what I should do. Luckly, no glass got in the enclosure because of the tight wire mesh.
She was very unhappy when it happened too. It probably really scared her. When I was cleaning up the class, she was all dark and hissing; she's never hissed at me before :( When I used to go pick her up, she' try to scurry away but that was about it. Now I'm worried she'll go all defensive and hiss/bite :(

Any advice?

I'd take EVERYTHING out and give it a good hosing down with a shower and hoover (vacuum if you're in the states!) out the enclosure as when glass shatters, little tiny shards that you can hardly see go EVERYWHERE - obviously a bit of hassle cleaning everything is far more beneficial than having a cham with glass splinters in her feet!

Not sure what to suggest about the behaviour though unfortunately, maybe another more experienced owner could help on that front :)

Why was your heat bulb on at 3:30 in the morning? That sounds like reason enough to be PO at you! I'm with Amanda, clean it up and rub it down with cotton (it helps pick up the really small pieces you may not be able to see.)

I'm in CO and it's been snowing. We also keep our house pretty cold; too cold for Sammi (usually around 65-68). The bulb itself is about 8 inches from the nearest branch.

Why was your heat bulb on at 3:30 in the morning? That sounds like reason enough to be PO at you! I'm with Amanda, clean it up and rub it down with cotton (it helps pick up the really small pieces you may not be able to see.)

I'm not familiar with the term PO. Please explain.

She wasn't mad that the bulb was on, she was mad at the loud noise it made when it popped

Last edited:
65-68 at night is plenty warm for most chameleons. Don't use a heat bulb at night.

I'm in CO and it's been snowing. We also keep our house pretty cold; too cold for Sammi (usually around 65-68). The bulb itself is about 8 inches from the nearest branch.

They require a heat drop at night - what are your daytime temps? This doesn't sound too cold for a night time temperature at all. Just checked my guys (his heat lamp has only been off for about an hour) and his temp is currently about 65F

I think PO means Pissed OFF! lol! And yes as Pssh said your temps are just fine and no need for a heat bulb!! They can take temps down in to the 50's!

65-68 at night is plenty warm for most chameleons. Don't use a heat bulb at night.

Really? That's not what I was reading :(. It can easily get to 55 at night here though. We don't run the heat, we choose to bundle up if we get cold.

Maybe I need further clarification on heating then.
Here's what I've been reading:

"Veiled chameleons like hot basking spots. It is not uncommon to see veileds basking even when the ambient temperature is 80 to 90 degrees F (Annis, 1995). It is critically important that the owner provide a heating lamp to create a basking spot of 90-105 degrees F at one end of the enclosure. The ambient air temperature in the rest of the cage should be 70's at nighttime, with a preferred rise to the 80's over the course of the day."

I've also been reading that veileds like their temps to be warmer than most chams.

What are your thoughts?

90-95max F is how warm a veiled basking spot should be

a little below 70's is fine
the veiled should be able to warm up in the morning

The heat bulb exploded at about 3:30 this morning.... I know there are toxic chemicals in the bulbs and was wondering what I should do. ..

Broken incandescent light bulbs offer no health risks other than possible cuts from broken glass. There are no serious toxic chemicals in them. You are probably thinking of the newer CFL bulbs or Fluorescent tubes. These contain small amounts of mercury, and therefore require more careful clean-up / disposal.

Broken incandescent light bulbs offer no health risks other than possible cuts from broken glass. There are no serious toxic chemicals in them. You are probably thinking of the newer CFL bulbs or Fluorescent tubes. These contain small amounts of mercury, and therefore require more careful clean-up / disposal.

Oh, thank goodness. Was worried about her breathing in chemicals/ingesting some from water droplets. I've just about gotten her enclosure cleaned.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D

Back
Top Bottom