Healthy Jackson Diet with Limited Options

Aloha808

I know I need to offer a diet that consists of more than just crickets, however where I live we have extremely limited options. On this side of the island, from what I have found, there is only one pet store and they only sell the crickets. The next nearest shop is on the other side of the island, about 2.5 hours away and they only have meal worms. I did find a site online that sells phoenix worms and I believe they ship to Hawaii (not sure on this, waiting for them to reply to my inquiry). If I am able to get the phoenix worms that would be great, but is that enough variety?

I know I need to offer a diet that consists of more than just crickets, however where I live we have extremely limited options. On this side of the island, from what I have found, there is only one pet store and they only sell the crickets. The next nearest shop is on the other side of the island, about 2.5 hours away and they only have meal worms. I did find a site online that sells phoenix worms and I believe they ship to Hawaii (not sure on this, waiting for them to reply to my inquiry). If I am able to get the phoenix worms that would be great, but is that enough variety?

If it is all you can get then it has to be enough. Are there any types of native bugs you can get to feed? That is what I would look into. Good luck and let me know how it goes

I'm not sure, they must eat something else out in the wild. I just hesitate to feed them wild bugs because I don't know if they've been exposed to pesticides. Also, can't the cham potentially get parasites from wild bugs? Not sure about that one.

What you can do for wild bugs.

Find some, figure out if the bug itself is safe to eat.

if it is, quarentine it for a couple days, feed it good gutload, and then you can feed it off.

If possible, you can try to breed a captive colony of that bug.

if you have painted lady butterflies, you can feed those. (just make sure they arent monarchs)

also, the cham can get parasites from wild bugs, which is why you are supposed to do bi annual fecal exams.

:)

Chameleons can get parasites from crickets as well, so it's prudent to get them checked out anyway. But if you only have that variety to work with then your gutloading has to be that much better. Make sure you look up Sandrachameleon's blogs on here, they are PHENOMENAL when it comes to nutrition info.

Also, with wild insects try to find an area outside of town to go "hunting" in. I go to a field that is 15-20 minutes out of town and I know that no one sprays anything out there because it's wild area. I'm sure you must have something similar a comfortable drive away.

Also, if you keep them for a couple days you'll be able to see if any have been exposed to poisons/pesticides because they'll die in your care, probably overnight. Otherwise, healthy bugs should be fine in a cage eating good food.

Make sure you are gutloading the crickets very well. The addition of a few gutloaded mealworms and some phoenix worms (soldier fly maggots) certainly wouldnt hurt. Do consider wild caught insects, such as Termites, dragonflies, grasshoppers and leafhoppers (Oliarus). You could collect a dozen native snails for breeding (release them back once you have eggs and dont use /take an endangered species such as Achatinella mustelina) and feed the offspring to your jackson. Or maybe you could get a blue bottle fly culture going.

Some links that may be helpful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/213-use-wild-caught-insects.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...just-crickets-roaches-gutload-everything.html

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies! I know of just the place to look for bugs, it's a state park so shouldn't be any pesticides. The links were of great help as well, it was really nice that there were some pictures so I can tell what bugs I find.

Also, what if I left some food out to get maggots? Its extremely unappealing to me, but at least its another idea.

They live fine off the native bugs!! I would start a nice garden with native plants and flowers that attract native bugs. Collect them and feed them off. Just dont use any pesticides or any other harmful stuff in your garden. Hell, if I lived there I would try and make a little micro habitat, catch some jacksons, release them and see if they would stay near and reproduce!!!

They live fine off the native bugs!! I would start a nice garden with native plants and flowers that attract native bugs. Collect them and feed them off. Just dont use any pesticides or any other harmful stuff in your garden. Hell, if I lived there I would try and make a little micro habitat, catch some jacksons, release them and see if they would stay near and reproduce!!!

That is what Mary Lovein has going at her place on the big Island, she even has the book "Jackson's in the garden". It is in the forum bookstore. I love my copy

Back
Top Bottom