Health Problems.. Can Someone Help Please?

Brooklyn427

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Carpet Chameleon.. I have had her for a few weeks now.

Handling - I never handle my chameleon, or any of my reptiles for that matter.

Feeding - I am currently feeding her gut-loaded crickets, every other day dusted with Calcium (non- D3)

Supplements - Like I said, NON D3 Calcium powder.

Watering - I have an automated mister which i use 3 times a day.

Fecal Description - Everything here is perfectly fine.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x30 Screened On All Sides..

Lighting - 5.0 UVB with a 60 Watt basking bulb..

Temperature - Temperatures are between 74-86 degrees throughout the tank, the basking spot is circa 85 degrees.

Humidity - By misting throughout the day. I have 3 water bottles filled all the time and they all get used. Also I have a cheap plastic humidity therm..

Plants - Fake Potho plants with moss and vines.. (pictures will be included)

Placement - See Pictures

Location - NYC ( VERY HOT SUMMERS VERY COLD WINTERS )

Her eyes are not fully opening, and she is being very unresponsive. I recently had a power outage that lasted for a long time yesterday. Do you think that this could of been a factor in her sluggish behavior today and last night?

Her eyes, and a slight SLIGHT loss of grip are the problems that I am seeing right now. Maybe she is a little dehydrated due to not having enough water during this outage?

EDIT: I noticed a light positive difference in her eyes opening when I heavily misted her.. should i try a soak as well due to her eyes not being 100%?

At first she was eating alot when I first received her from Big Apple Herp, but now she is ALSO on a hunger strike.. maybe i should offer more variety as well in terms of foods?

Attachments

• IMG00050-20110405-1211.jpg
    IMG00050-20110405-1211.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG00051-20110405-1214.jpg
    IMG00051-20110405-1214.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG00052-20110405-1215.jpg
    IMG00052-20110405-1215.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00054-20110405-1216.jpg
    IMG00054-20110405-1216.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG00056-20110405-1217.jpg
    IMG00056-20110405-1217.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 147
Here is another picture that shows her current condition...

Attachments

• IMG00057-20110405-1234.jpg
    IMG00057-20110405-1234.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 141
She is VERY dehydrated, and looks rather skinny as well.
Feeding - I am currently feeding her gut-loaded crickets, every other day dusted with Calcium (non- D3)

Supplements - Like I said, NON D3 Calcium powder.
What are you gutloading the crickets with? And also, your chameleon needs more than just non d3 powder. You should use that about 5 days a week or so, and then a d3 powder 1-2 times a month, and a multi vitamin 2 times a month.

Plants - Fake Potho plants with moss and vines.. (pictures will be included)
Seeing how dehydrated she is, I would definitely get a real plant. Pothos are like $10 at most at home depot. Real plants hold humidity better, and hold water driplets better than fake vines and leaves.

She is VERY dehydrated, and looks rather skinny as well.

What are you gutloading the crickets with? And also, your chameleon needs more than just non d3 powder. You should use that about 5 days a week or so, and then a d3 powder 1-2 times a month, and a multi vitamin 2 times a month.

Seeing how dehydrated she is, I would definitely get a real plant. Pothos are like $10 at most at home depot. Real plants hold humidity better, and hold water driplets better than fake vines and leaves.

Okay, thanks for answering!

Now, should I try a soaking bath, or continue to mist as the day goes on.

Well they are being gutloaded with a special cricket feed from joshsfrogs.com

They are also being loaded with that special cricket watering formula so they do not drown.

I will buy REAL pothos as well today based on your recommendations!

Should i try taking her out of the tank and soaking her in the shower lightly?
And putting her in a container with meal worms/crickets/ or super worms?

And ALSO what vitamins do you recommend in particular?

Okay, thanks for answering!

Now, should I try a soaking bath, or continue to mist as the day goes on.

Well they are being gutloaded with a special cricket feed from joshsfrogs.com

They are also being loaded with that special cricket watering formula so they do not drown.

I will buy REAL pothos as well today based on your recommendations!

Should i try taking her out of the tank and soaking her in the shower lightly?
And putting her in a container with meal worms/crickets/ or super worms?

And ALSO what vitamins do you recommend in particular?

I would continue to mist, soaking probably would cause stress, especially in her condition. What I have seen people do though, is put a plant in the shower and let warm water hit the plant. I've never done it personally though.

You should probably be gut loading with more nutritious stuff right now. I mean, I use these green cubes every once in a while, but it's better for the cham for the crickets to have real nutrition. here's a link of things you can feed them. Usually dehydrated chameleons don't want to eat. So after you hydrate her up, she'll probably eat a more natural way than putting her in a cup :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
:)

31q1vGjbSpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Herptivite is a good multi-vitamin, as well with Reptivite.

Rep-cal also makes a d3 calcium and a no d3 calcium. Amazon is freezing up my computer every time I try and click so you can just search and see them :)

Now, I don't know if these are the reasons why she is acting the way she is, but at least you can get her hydrated and whatnot.

Bimac, you are a SAVIOUR.. there needs to be more people like you for sure.. I also just re-did the whole cricket tank... which is a 30 gallon tank with hides, and NOW slices of apple and banana... i will also purchase what you have sent me.. thanks for the details and for the help, and if anyone else has anything to add, please, do not hesitate!

Bimac gave you good advice, and I agree that she looks extremely dehydrated. I would shower her, so she can have a good opportunity to drink as much as she wants and to help clear up/open up her eyes. When my guys are having eye issues, the showers and higher humidity in their cages have cleared it up pretty quick. What is the humidity in her cage?

To shower her, do what bimac suggested - put a plant in the shower and let the mist from the shower hit the plant. Don't point the water straight at the plant, that will probably freak her out. When I shower my guys, I put the plant in the back of the shower and point the water at the wall, and the mist will fall on the plant. If you shut the shower curtain and the bathroom door the humidity will go up pretty fast - that might help her clear up a little. Some chams love showers, others not so much. Try it and see how she reacts.

To get some weight on her, and hopefully get her eating again, try some worms. Hornworms and butterworms seem to be favorites with a lot of chams, even picky ones. You should mix up her feeders regularly - don't feed her only crickets, even if they are gutloaded properly.

Last thing you might want to do is get a fecal done. Especially if she is WC. It's cheap (my vet charges $27), and it could save you from a lot of problems in the future. Parasites can be the root cause of a lot of problems, including dehydration, refusing food, and weight loss.

Hope she starts looking better soon... keep us updated!

Bimac gave you good advice, and I agree that she looks extremely dehydrated. I would shower her, so she can have a good opportunity to drink as much as she wants and to help clear up/open up her eyes. When my guys are having eye issues, the showers and higher humidity in their cages have cleared it up pretty quick. What is the humidity in her cage?

To shower her, do what bimac suggested - put a plant in the shower and let the mist from the shower hit the plant. Don't point the water straight at the plant, that will probably freak her out. When I shower my guys, I put the plant in the back of the shower and point the water at the wall, and the mist will fall on the plant. If you shut the shower curtain and the bathroom door the humidity will go up pretty fast - that might help her clear up a little. Some chams love showers, others not so much. Try it and see how she reacts.

To get some weight on her, and hopefully get her eating again, try some worms. Hornworms and butterworms seem to be favorites with a lot of chams, even picky ones. You should mix up her feeders regularly - don't feed her only crickets, even if they are gutloaded properly.

Last thing you might want to do is get a fecal done. Especially if she is WC. It's cheap (my vet charges $27), and it could save you from a lot of problems in the future. Parasites can be the root cause of a lot of problems, including dehydration, refusing food, and weight loss.

Hope she starts looking better soon... keep us updated!

Thanks so much for responding Lingling, people like you are needed in this world, anyway, i have a small shower in my room which is perfect for this, i will do this right now, I also have a nice vaporizer (without the medicine of course!) which can provide a nice misty/steamy/humid atmosphere.. it is hot/warm water as well ( not hot but more like nice and warm )

i will keep you guys updated!!

EDIT: She is now in the shower and her eyes were open for good 5 minutes and her skin color is now VERY VERY BRIGHT with yellows and such...

but now they are closed again maybe due to stress? I am going to put in a new plant a (live one) to see if that will work... she is opening her mouth and i will now have to give her fresh cooler water..

Keep with the shower regiment and get a real plant or two in there for her. I had the same problem with eyes with my baby panther and one was just a littler irritated from some shed. A few showers a week for a week or three and he was just fine!

Pictures AFTER AND DURING SHOWER... MAJOR change if you ask me.... colors are vibrant, rich, and very nice!

Is this a good sign? Maybe all along my humidity was not good enough... everytime i took her away from the shower mist, she got dark again... when she went BACK she got all bright looking again!

Bimac, she is drinking slightly, but nothing over the top...

For instance, when I say major change, look at the one i uploaded in the original thread, as opposed to these below...

Attachments

• IMG00059-20110405-1525.jpg
    IMG00059-20110405-1525.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00061-20110405-1528.jpg
    IMG00061-20110405-1528.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG00062-20110405-1549.jpg
    IMG00062-20110405-1549.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 107
Keep with the shower regiment and get a real plant or two in there for her. I had the same problem with eyes with my baby panther and one was just a littler irritated from some shed. A few showers a week for a week or three and he was just fine!

Followed your recommendations as well, and like my previous posts said, I think it is working!!!!! However, she is back in the tank and dark and back to what happened before...

Maybe i should use a vaporizer with warm water all the time?

She looks better, but you'll have to keep up with it or she'll go downhill as fast as before. It look like you have a screen cage, which makes it hard to hold in humidity. I cover 3 sides of my screen cages with clear plastic painter's tarp. It's extremely cheap and it helps hold that moisture in. I also bought a ultrasonic humidifier for $20 at Walmart, and I love it. Huxley loves it too! He's been so much more active since I got it. It doesn't heat the water like a regular humidifier (so not hot parts) and it puts off a very fine mist, plus it's really adjustable. I actually put it in the bottom of his cage, and the humidity went from 30% to about 75% (on a medium setting). I make sure to turn it off at night so it doesn't get drafty in there.

Upping you humidity, in whatever way works for you, will be a big step in the right direction. Get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity. Again, worms would be a good addition to her diet. They have an extremely high moisture content and will help her rehydrate (plus, the right kinds of worms are more nutritious than crickets alone).

She'll be awesome once you get her rehydrated and eating again. I would really love to have a carpet.

She looks better, but you'll have to keep up with it or she'll go downhill as fast as before. It look like you have a screen cage, which makes it hard to hold in humidity. I cover 3 sides of my screen cages with clear plastic painter's tarp. It's extremely cheap and it helps hold that moisture in. I also bought a ultrasonic humidifier for $20 at Walmart, and I love it. Huxley loves it too! He's been so much more active since I got it. It doesn't heat the water like a regular humidifier (so not hot parts) and it puts off a very fine mist, plus it's really adjustable. I actually put it in the bottom of his cage, and the humidity went from 30% to about 75% (on a medium setting). I make sure to turn it off at night so it doesn't get drafty in there.

Upping you humidity, in whatever way works for you, will be a big step in the right direction. Get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity. Again, worms would be a good addition to her diet. They have an extremely high moisture content and will help her rehydrate (plus, the right kinds of worms are more nutritious than crickets alone).

She'll be awesome once you get her rehydrated and eating again. I would really love to have a carpet.

Okay, like I said, I have a Vicks Vaporizer and that can actually get hot, but shoots out a nice stream of steam! I can put it in front of the tank so it streams directly in the front... I will also use the tape that you mentioned in order for the moisture to hold in..

I have a huge colony of superworms and meal worms as well that can be used ASAP when this stage is over. How long or often should I shower her?

Paint tarp, it'll take you hours to cover the cage in painter's tape :p

You don't want to shower her too often, as handling her too much can cause more stress than it's worth. It depends on how she reacts to it, but if she seems to enjoy it then I would shower her maybe twice a week or so. Others might do it more/less often. The main thing is to raise the humidity in her cage. If the humidity in there is too low, occasional showers won't do much good, they'll only help for the 15 minutes she's being showered.

Paint tarp, it'll take you hours to cover the cage in painter's tape :p

You don't want to shower her too often, as handling her too much can cause more stress than it's worth. It depends on how she reacts to it, but if she seems to enjoy it then I would shower her maybe twice a week or so. Others might do it more/less often. The main thing is to raise the humidity in her cage. If the humidity in there is too low, occasional showers won't do much good, they'll only help for the 15 minutes she's being showered.

TARP haha, yes, i should of known that and read it properly!

Thanks though lingling, I am grateful for your help and assistance. I have the Vicks Vaporizer shooting (lightly, but with effect) into her tank from the side.. it is getting in and hopefully raising the humidity... i will tarp this up right now..

my vet along time ago told me to drip pedalite in my old female jacksons mouth. dehydration kills. I am in arizona and I am very very careful about not letting any of my animals get dehydrated. a repti-fogger works great for humidity use a sheet drape around the enclosure and use a repti-fogger. also I use battery back ups for my tanks and chams. so if we ever have a power outage i can atleast opperate water, weather it be a mister, a power head, or a fogger. they are a great investment.

Thanks though lingling, I am grateful for your help and assistance. I have the Vicks Vaporizer shooting (lightly, but with effect) into her tank from the side.. it is getting in and hopefully raising the humidity... i will tarp this up right now..

You still need good ventilation, so would only cover 3 sides. I don't know if I made that very clear - without proper humidity, you obviously have problems, but without proper ventilation, you'll have more problems. Try covering just 3 sides, if that's not what you're already planning on doing.

Where are you located? I'm in northern Indiana, which isn't exactly "chameleon friendly" territory :rolleyes: I'm jealous of all those California people.

You still need good ventilation, so would only cover 3 sides. I don't know if I made that very clear - without proper humidity, you obviously have problems, but without proper ventilation, you'll have more problems. Try covering just 3 sides, if that's not what you're already planning on doing.

Where are you located? I'm in northern Indiana, which isn't exactly "chameleon friendly" territory :rolleyes: I'm jealous of all those California people.

Well, yes, that was my original intention... 3 sides...

I am located in Brooklyn, NYC.. So its on and off here, a very hot summer will soon come, and very cold winters are usually what comes as well.... Right now it is about 52 degrees out... but yesterday it was like 68... =/ very crazy sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom