Health Issues 8 month male veiled

jacquoo

I have had a male veiled for 3 months I adopted i'm thinking he is 6-8 months old. He has always been a nervous and skiddish. I also have a female veiled so I had them in separate rooms. Last Friday 2/9/19 while at work his cage was knocked over with him in it. I did not see how bad it was my roommate picked it up and I checked him over when I got home all seemed fine except for his nerves I'm sure. I moved him back into the office where the female is and they are on separate walls. I allow partial free range and have been alternating time out for each so they both get some climbing time. He was eating well crickets, hornworms, superworms, a couple of waxworms a week. Lighting consists of T5.0 attached to wall when he is on his vines outside his cage with a warmer bulb. On his cage is a 100 watt power sun only a month old approx 6 inches from top of cage. I give him repashy calcium plus everyday and twice a month calcium d3. Drip on cage and is misted 2-3 times a day and humidifer for 1/2 an hour. Temp is 90 with 50% Wednesday he stopped eating before he was great eater even after the fall and being moved. I have been misting him and he drinks, now he is always lying down and staying off his right front leg, also it appears he has some broken ribs on the left side. For the past 3 days he is barely moving. could this be from the fall showing up 5 days later or is this MBD, gout I'm worried I cannot get into the vet until AEGQtEXXTTCBZBtBE9ahuA.jpg wednesday even though I have called and said it is urgent. We only have 2 vets in area that deal with reptiles and one has no experience with chams.

Attachments

• 3QZBPEcqToqIY2%gEC7sLg.jpg
    3QZBPEcqToqIY2%gEC7sLg.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 66
  • QmU4rJcVQGuLhR1z5FaX2A.jpg
    QmU4rJcVQGuLhR1z5FaX2A.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 55
  • AEGQtEXXTTCBZBtBE9ahuA.jpg
    AEGQtEXXTTCBZBtBE9ahuA.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 66
  • fullsizeoutput_9b7.png
    fullsizeoutput_9b7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
  • xjb7ihhdSYmnzdR7ZeznHA.jpg
    xjb7ihhdSYmnzdR7ZeznHA.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 107
I would keep calling the vet to see about cancellations. As far as the power sun I am not familiar with them or what their uvb lighting output is. I use T5 lighting because of the deep wide lighting pattern. Do you have a solarmeter to check the UVI levels of the power sun? That is the only way to know for sure if it is providing the right amount at basking level.

PowerSuns are not acceptable lighting for a veild. He requires a T5 fixture preferably with a 12% Arcadia bulb. Even though you were giving him calcium, he can not metabolize it properly without good UVB lighting. So while I don’t see any obvious signed of sever MBD, I’m sure his bone density is less than ideal. It takes very little to break their ribs, see a vet.

Thank you for that info it was great! I pick him up with a stick but I’m concerned that the fall in the cage, I did call the vet again and they only have the reptile vet on certain days. I will try again Monday. I have been told by a different vet that the repitsun powersun bulb was good I know I’ve read pros n cons on them that is why I also have the repti T5 ho 5% so I should bump that up to a 12% will an Arcadia bulb fit in the reptasun fixture “24 in. ? My female is a year and she also has both on her habitat because they free range every other day. She also has the same supplement schedule but I keep her cooler for decreased egg production she is around 78° , she went to the vet at 6 months they didn’t really know a lot about chameleons she was vitamin a deprived so I started the rapashy calcium plus d3 twice a month. And a drop of vitamin A on a cricket once a month which really helped. She has recently layed her first clutch and has had extra calcium. I guess where I’m going with this is thank you for responding. I am neurotic about these 2 chameleon and will do whatever is necessary for them to thrive.

Also I have read about keeping them separated. Is a 10ft x 12ft room big enough for 2 veileds female n male ? They each have their own cage, his is 18x18x36 I plan on building a bigger one next month, he also has around 5 ft of branches and plants to roam on when he is let out.
Her cage is 24x24x50 with a ficus, fern, Pothos and branches to climb on when out.
I spend a lot of time in this room it is my office , they don’t appear to be stressed with there colors , Elle is much more relaxed though then Rango. Is this a suitable environment for them?

Rango’s 1st poop since Tuesday / he just did it today Saturday 4 days and last thing he ate was a large hornworm and nothing since. Like I said prior he was eating great, 5 dusted crickets, 5 super worms last Saturday,Sunday,Monday on Tuesday the large hornworm. Then Rango stopped eating maybe he was constipated? He is drinking water, if he doesn’t have Mbd or gout would he stop eating from pain ? Broken ribs pain?

Attachments

• 35B14D3C-1C28-42C3-94E3-4B85875E2E5F.jpeg
    35B14D3C-1C28-42C3-94E3-4B85875E2E5F.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 37
Also I have read about keeping them separated. Is a 10ft x 12ft room big enough for 2 veileds female n male ? They each have their own cage, his is 18x18x36 I plan on building a bigger one next month, he also has around 5 ft of branches and plants to roam on when he is let out.
Her cage is 24x24x50 with a ficus, fern, Pothos and branches to climb on when out.
I spend a lot of time in this room it is my office , they don’t appear to be stressed with there colors , Elle is much more relaxed though then Rango. Is this a suitable environment for them?

They can be kept in the same room, as long as they can’t see each other...

Back
Top Bottom