He or She?

YogiGirl

He's a boy, right? (7 month old Nosy Be) Reason I even started to doubt it is that he (she?) has been crawling around on the bottom of his cage lately...

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• YogiandFriends009.jpg
    YogiandFriends009.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 102
  • YogiandFriends008.jpg
    YogiandFriends008.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 116
  • YogiandFriends007-1.jpg
    YogiandFriends007-1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 108
Surley is a he. Crawling around on the bottom is not a good thing. Maybe try posting the info survey in the "How to ask for help" section. This may give us an idea of what is causing him to be doing this.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen 16 x 15 x 20 in.
* Lighting - 5.0 ReptiGlo UVB tube, 50 watt ZooMed basking spot lamp, 7:30 am - 7:30pm
* Temperature - basking spot temp 80-85 degrees, overall cage 75-78 degrees
* Humidity - usually stays around 30%, but I have ordered a mister to keep the humidity higher. He sheds regularly already though, and always sheds completely within a few hours... shedding today actually :)
* Plants - a Benjamin ficus, a scheflerra arbicorala, and a draecaena
* Placement - in my bedroom, on top of dresser, near window
* Location - California (near Sacramento),

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Nosy Be, about 7-8 months, I got him as a hatchling in September (now that I know so much more about chams, I know that he was WAY too young to have been sold... but fortunately I did my research and loved him so much that he was OK! I got him from Amazing Blue Reptiles. He's very small for his age (about 8 inches from head to tail), but has just started a growth spurt - grew 2 in. in the past month!
* Handling - Only to take him to his free range tree, a few times a week
* Feeding - he eats about 15 crickets a day, gutloaded with Vita-All, Pheonix worms, and have a shipment of silkworms on the way soon.
* Supplements - dust crickets with Minerall (with D3) 3x a week
* Watering - mist by hand 5x a day for 1 min each time. I don't see him drink very often, because he won't in front of me. Misting system is in the mail.
* Fecal Description - Brown, big; small white urate. Was tested positive for parasites when he was just 2 months old, but was treated with antibiotics, tested again and he was all cleared up.
* History - see above about parasites
* Current Problem - He's restless, crawling all over the walls, ceiling and now FLOOR of his cage.

He is really nice!:D
That is too much D3, though. Dust with plain calcium regularly and just give the D3 twice a month.

Does he just scope out the bottom and go back up. My chams go down to the bottom, never the floor though. They crawl around the top of the pots. I assume they r just hunting for when they search its just for a couple of minutes then back up they go.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments! He is pretty darn cute, isn't he?

As for crawling on the ground, I've only caught him actually on the ground twice and he went back up the wall immediately when he saw me. It was like he knew he was doing something he wasn't supposed to, lol. I think he might have just been hunting, like you said. It was just odd because he had never gone down there before...

From my list, does my husbandry sound OK? I'll get some calcium supp w/out Vit D today.

He's a good lookin guy! Cage a bit too small and humidity too low. You need 3 supplements. Calcium witout d3 at almost every feeding. Calcium with d3 twicw a month and a multi vitamin once a month.

The minerall with d3, has MUCH less d3 than normal calcium with d3. So i feel that if you choose to use it 3x weekly that would be fine.

rep-cal w/ d3 = 400,000 IU/Kg

miner-all I = 4,400 IU/Kg
(It also contains 35% calcium per Kilo)

as you can see the minerall has 10x less d3 in it than normal calcium with d3.

Minerall also has other goodies in it as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom