He Hissed At Me

I got bit twice a while back when his mouth was smaller and he didn' t have any practice in. Lately, he pulls things in his mouth like his water dripper and the syringe I'm using to give antibiotics. He's getting real tired of that! Today was traumatic, but I got it down him. If that had been my finger.... I'd be missing flesh, I think. Anybody seen that happen with a veiled? And do I really want to know the answer to that question? lol

My chams a big hisser as welll. evertime i go to get him he opens his mouth and doesnt shut up until i pick him up, then he's all nice and happy with me. from the ages 3months - 9months i was actually too scared to pick him up then i had no choice coz i thought he was ill(he wasnt though).

Hes only bitten me once before and that was about 4months ago when i left him for 2 weeks at the pet shop while i was on holiday. when he was in his cage i tried to get him out and he decided to bite me but he never did it again. it was like he was getting back at me for leaving him lol.

The first time i tried to take a picture with the flash he went mad, hissing and running about but after that he poses all the time and he loves it!

every chams different and they do change as they get older!

i still havent been biten and i dont want to but it came close today ... he hissed at me for the first time. he did it befor but only if i had a camera if not he wouldnt but today he didnt it to me when i whent to get him....

Hissing little friends

Chameleons are meant to go through life not being seen. so they will be aggressive when they are approached. Handling stresses them out and will eventually kill them. I've had a hiss only once in 6 months, and it was while I was misting him, he hates it. I never handle him. He's never been out.

Last edited:
My cham always hisses when I start the misting. But then he realizes that the water is warm and he gets into position and I see he likes it. Or is he tolerating it?
Yesterday he bit his syringe a few times. I'm glad this is his last does today. 10 days of this trauma.

my first cham was a veiled he would get sooooo pissed at the camera usually start out by hissing then a bite to the lens and then for some strange reason he would lock onto it with his eyes and shoot his tongue at the lens! almost every time too and i never figured out why.

deizel is more of a runner and when i open the door to his cage he goes straight to the middle of the back the only place i cant get to him... the only way to get him out these days is the meal worm lure out

My 4 month veiled only hissed once, and that was at the computer! Shes never bitten me, she doesn't get mad too easily, usually only when she is near the computer. My cham is used to being handled, because the breeder that i bought her from, told me and my friend that also bought one, to handle them regularly, and so far its worked out great.

Bugboy... I wonder if your cham could see a warped reflection of himself in the liens that was bug like to him? lol

Back
Top Bottom