He hates me?

Alyxszoo

I have a 5 month old veiled cham that HATES me. When I walk up to his cage he runs to the back of his cage. If I stick my hand in his cage (to mist or something) he will jump off the screen and land on the bottom of his cage (about 30 inches) then run and freak out trying to climb back up away from me. Why does he hate me so much? I have never even touched him once and ive had him for almost 3 months. I can't clean his cage either.

That kinda sucks, I got lucky 4 of my 6 don't mind being held (makes weighing and cleaning so much easier). Some people have luck training them by hand feeding, but this can take a few weeks to help (I did this with one of my chameleons, now she doesn't mind being held).

Mine hates me too. I used to hold him all the time then one day he decided we were done. I only see him when I'm very still in my bed, any other time he is hiding in his tree. I have no chance of hand feeding him like that.

Don’t feel bad my male veiled AKA “Mr. Happiness” hauls butt when my hand is in his cage. Today rather strangely my female veiled (no name yet) while I was spraying her enclosure came right up to the MotoMister and climbed up on my hand!:eek: she stayed there to. Give the little dude a chance things may change. :) O forgot to add she hated me to! Things can take a turn for the better.

don't give up hope on handling him! He is still young. I have a couple of suggestions that were given to me by my breeder and worked like a charm. I handle my cham everyday and move him between three areas that he lives in with no problems what so ever.It was not easy in the very beginning, but got better as he began to trust me more. First I would try taking a branch and kind of coax him to get on the branch. If that works, then sit down very still and put the branch on your lap. Just let him get used to you. he may even crawl on you. secondly, try putting a tall plant outside his cage door and see if you can get him to crawl out of the cage on that. Then try using the stick(or your hand) to get him off the plant. Approach from the front, not the back so he can see your hand. Just keep trying everyday, but if he gets too freaked out and is in danger of harming himself by jumping and falling then I would say no. If he puffs and hisses, so what! I would atleast give it a try and also try handfeeding so he gets used to your hand as something that is good and not bad to him. It sure makes life easier when they are friendly and tolerate handling. Good luck!!!

don't give up hope on handling him! He is still young. I have a couple of suggestions that were given to me by my breeder and worked like a charm. I handle my cham everyday and move him between three areas that he lives in with no problems what so ever.It was not easy in the very beginning, but got better as he began to trust me more. First I would try taking a branch and kind of coax him to get on the branch. If that works, then sit down very still and put the branch on your lap. Just let him get used to you. he may even crawl on you. secondly, try putting a tall plant outside his cage door and see if you can get him to crawl out of the cage on that. Then try using the stick(or your hand) to get him off the plant. Approach from the front, not the back so he can see your hand. Just keep trying everyday, but if he gets too freaked out and is in danger of harming himself by jumping and falling then I would say no. If he puffs and hisses, so what! I would atleast give it a try and also try handfeeding so he gets used to your hand as something that is good and not bad to him. It sure makes life easier when they are friendly and tolerate handling. Good luck!!!

Awesome information! Mr. Happiness gets so spooked when I try to handle him he almost faints. Just tries to free fall, still working on that one thank gosh the Asparagus fern has cushioned his fall. DON’T GIVE UP MAN!

That was great advice Carol5208..I just recently got a BB Ambilobe male and he's a stubborn lil one. I'm definitely gonna try it out tonight :)

Back
Top Bottom