He has some balck something on his head

my chameleon is 9-8 months I have been removing the legs of his crickets and has been eating and I have been misting everyday, but he now has a black thing on his head that I don't know what it is. Please someone help me I also got him 5 months ago and if there are any tips and anything I'm doing wrong please tell me

captura-de-pantalla-2022-04-27-a-la-s-6-36-35-p-%E2%80%AFm-png.323606
Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-27 a la(s) 6.36.14 p. m..png
Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-27 a la(s) 6.35.15 p. m..png

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-27 a la(s) 6.36.35 p. m..png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-27 a la(s) 6.36.35 p. m..png
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Hi. Rather than point out all I see, I’d like to direct you here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/ and here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then if you answer the following questions, we can review all of your care and make suggestions for changes.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

you Have a beautiful boy there! Is that his permanent home? If so it is way too small and inappropriate for him. Where are his basking and uvb lights? I’m going to tag someone in that can help you with your question.
@Beman @MissSkittles
I just keep him outside adn he doesn't have any uv or basking lights is this wrong!? because I have a friend that also has a chameleon with the same kind of cage and she has no basking light and for the measurements they are

If that's an outdoor cage you are correct it does not need lights. But, it needs to be bigger and more planted. Does he have access to shade while outdoors? How often do you mist? And what are the high daytime temps and night time lows in your area?

If that's an outdoor cage you are correct it does not need lights. But, it needs to be bigger and more planted. Does he have access to shade while outdoors? How often do you mist? And what are the high daytime temps and night time lows in your area?
I mist twice a day and the temps are 74°F to 91°F and is rarely below 72°F or above 94°F I live in Jakarta Indonesia and he does not have a place to shade could you tell how to do it please and also I am getting a bigger cage just that we are trying to find a place to do it could you tell me a good measurement for the cage please?

Hi. Rather than point out all I see, I’d like to direct you here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/ and here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then if you answer the following questions, we can review all of your care and make suggestions for changes.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Species: Veiled Chameleon
Sex: Male
Age 8-9 I have had him for almost 6 months
Before I handled him a lot but now every time I try to grab him he hisses at me and tries to bite me
I feed him 3 crickets in the morning and will start feeding him another three in the afternoon and fo gut loading the guy that sells us the crickets gave use these kind of leaves
Watering I spray his cage twice a day in the morning and afternoon
I don't think he has been tested for parasites his poop is has a little bit of white stuff and then the poop is brown

the type is a green mesh and I keep him outside wich the chameleon handler told me it's okay so I don't have artificial light
I don't understand what this means: cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps
To create humidity I mist twice a day I don't know how to measure it
Yes I am using live a live plant and I don't know what type the guy didn't speak English nor Spanish so I couldn't ask
He is left outside in My backyard not close to a road bc we live next to a golf place
I live in Jakarta Indonesia
There is something black on his crest I am worried about and I don't any vets because I recently just moved to Indonesia
The
Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-27 a la(s) 6.36.25 p. m..png

Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-28 a la(s) 7.29.07 a. m..png

I’ll put my feedback in bold. There are some things I’m not sure about related to outdoor keeping, so I’ll have to ask for some help.
Species: Veiled Chameleon
Sex: Male
Age 8-9 I have had him for almost 6 months
Before I handled him a lot but now every time I try to grab him he hisses at me and tries to bite me You’ll need to work on building trust with him. Here’s a great blog on how to do that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
I feed him 3 crickets in the morning and will start feeding him another three in the afternoon It would be better to give him all 6 crickets in the morning so he has time to bask and digest them. You will want to start cutting back on his feedings in about another month. By the time he’s around 10-12 months old he should be getting fed about 3 feeders every other day. I don’t know what types of feeders are available to you, but if you can add more variety that would be excellent. Attaching graphic below. and fo gut loading the guy that sells us the crickets gave use these kind of leaves The problem with that is the crickets quickly digest their food and are then empty of nutrients to pass on to your chameleon. I keep my bugs well fed with a variety of fresh greens, vegetables and a little fruit. Attaching another graphic.
Watering I spray his cage twice a day in the morning and afternoon Very good. It’s best to spray for at least 2 minutes.
I don't think he has been tested for parasites his poop is has a little bit of white stuff and then the poop is brown It’s always a good idea to have a fecal test for parasites.

the type is a green mesh and I keep him outside wich the chameleon handler told me it's okay so I don't have artificial light I’m not sure what levels of uvb are able to pass thru the green mesh, but your guy does look healthy. The enclosure is a bit small for him though. He really needs at least a 2x2x4’ (60x60x120 cm) enclosure. Also, the mesh of his current enclosure looks like a predatory bird or other animal could very easily tear thru it to get your cham. Hardware cloth is a heavy duty wire screen that would be much safer. If you’re handy, I’d suggest building an enclosure.
I don't understand what this means: cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps As you keep him outside, this doesn’t really apply. However, you do need to monitor temperatures. Ideally we like to keep our male veileds around 82-85 F (27-29c). At night it is best to have a good drop in temperature, but outside that happens naturally anyhow.
To create humidity I mist twice a day I don't know how to measure it Again, keeping him outside this doesn’t really apply since he has unlimited air flow. When we keep our chameleons inside our ventilation is limited and we need to monitor humidity and keep it within 30-50% to prevent respiratory infections.
Yes I am using live a live plant and I don't know what type the guy didn't speak English nor Spanish so I couldn't ask This is one of my biggest concerns as he needs more plants and branches or vines. He needs to have plenty of leaves to take shade under and cool off if he gets too hot. He also needs lots of branches to travel on and get exercise and stimulation. Males especially can be quite active and patrol their enclosures several times a day.
He is left outside in My backyard not close to a road bc we live next to a golf place Is there a tree that you can place him near so that he isn’t in the full sun all day? If not, you should cover at least half of the top and maybe part of one side to provide him some shade...otherwise he’s just baking.
I live in Jakarta Indonesia
There is something black on his crest I am worried about and I don't any vets because I recently just moved to Indonesia I do believe the black is just part of his natural patterns/colors. Most male veileds do develop black along the front of their casques and bony facial ridges as they mature.
The biggest thing I don’t know about is if you should be providing any supplements and how often. He doesn’t need any vitamin D3 as he gets plenty from the sun. I would think he still needs a calcium and multivitamin, but need to ask @janjan20 or @Kaizen to provide that info and any other input they have about keeping your guy outside.
By the way, welcome to the forum! Very glad to have you here. :)

C4EE7973-514D-4568-8A87-AEA40D7A6B46.jpeg
CF6FB250-CD5A-4F07-A24F-13EA997EF5FF.jpeg
43D3B741-48C8-48B1-8A51-1D606BFEFF63.jpeg

Thank you so much for the information and btw does cutting back on his feedings mean? and as soon as I get home I will get a shady area and last 2 questions for the gut loading do I just put in a few leafy greens in the cricket container or some other way and what other bug do you recommend for me to give him apart from crickets?

Thank you so much by the way you have really helped me and will try and get the best cage and plants for him and also sorry for asking so many questions 😶

Thank you so much for the information and btw does cutting back on his feedings mean? and as soon as I get home I will get a shady area and last 2 questions for the gut loading do I just put in a few leafy greens in the cricket container or some other way and what other bug do you recommend for me to give him apart from crickets?

Thank you so much by the way you have really helped me and will try and get the best cage and plants for him and also sorry for asking so many questions 😶
Cutting back on his feedings means reducing the number of bugs and the frequency that you feed him. For example, in about a month or so, feed him 4 crickets every day, a month later feed him every other day, another month later feed him 3 crickets every other day.
There’s several good bugs to feed him like dubia roaches (or other farmed roaches), silkworms, locusts, etc. I have no idea what is available in your area. I know that here in the USA, most pet stores don’t sell much variety so we have to order them from on line.
For plants, try to find the ones that are on the list. Your guy will eat the leaves so they need to be safe. If you can find a nice schefflera (umbrella plant), that would be perfect. Pothos is also called devil’s ivy in some places and is one of the best and easiest plants for chameleons. Many philodendrons are great too (even though they aren’t on the list).
You’re very welcome and ask all the questions you need. It’s the best way to learn and make sure you’ve got everything right. :)

I have one last question I did the trust exercise I put a cricket on my hand and stood still, the first cricket he ate and the second he put his tongue on my tongue as if he went to eat a cricket and he did it three times which made me drop the cricket is he just so smart he knew that would happen or was he just not hungry or what is wrong and then I checked a few minutes later and he had eaten it and btw this is the powder I use to cover the crickets
Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-28 a la(s) 5.26.28 p. m..png

Back
Top Bottom