he didnt make it

melmelion

the dirt in his cage was so wet that had a pool of water at the bottom. i guess he sleep walked and drowned himself. im so sad he didnt even make it to his trip to the vet on friday. i guess that it was his time. :(:(:(:(:(

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy!

Do you use a glass terrarium? That's one of the bigger problems with these, it's so hard to control excess water in a glass cage. However, I don't think it was his time if he drowned because you weren't checking the conditions of his enclosure on a daily basis. For the future please make sure that you find a way to control water better and make a point to check over the enclosure several times a day.

I'm really sorry he didn't make it. You must be feeling horrible just now. I know how much you loved the two you had but having read your threads can I suggest you do a lot of research before you get a new one. You now know how expensive their care is and how you need to be there every day to care for them, and what can happen when left in someone else's care. It would be nice if you could lurk about here and learn as much as you can for the future. What was your little ones name?

I am sorry your lost your chameleon. What kind of cham was he? You stated you only know "veild care". I am not trying to be mean but now matter what kind of chameleon you have, other than a pygmy, you should not have dirt or any other type of substrate at the bottom of your cage and safe drainage is a must. This means no containers that can collect water that are NOT shallow enough for your chameleon to crawl out of if he were to fall in. I know you did not have a container but from what you described he drowned because the dirt created a pool. Please read our chameleon care sheets on all the species and how to set up your cage so you do not have any unfortunate accidents in the future. You did say he was born on Nov 3, so that would make him 9 mos old or so. He must have been of a decent size to drown like that. Are you sure he did not die and fall off the branch into the water?

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy!

Do you use a glass terrarium? That's one of the bigger problems with these, it's so hard to control excess water in a glass cage. However, I don't think it was his time if he drowned because you weren't checking the conditions of his enclosure on a daily basis. For the future please make sure that you find a way to control water better and make a point to check over the enclosure several times a day.

You nailed it! Key words, Excess water.

If there is so much water that your chameleon drowned, you clearly aren't paying attention.

So sad....

I don't think there was any hate intended from others post, I do believe that you may be a little under knowledged about the care for chameleons and it will be much better for you to learn more about the proper care before the investment of another one......I know you did care and love your past two babies and it is awful that they had to die, but proper care may have saved them both.....I do hope you get another in the future and best of luck to you if you do, please read as much as possible about the care of chameleons and the type you do get on these boards......I am very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom