He always seems to be looking for something on the bottom

chamsofgram

Alright, I have filled the form here and included a couple pics of his enclosure as well as showing off some of his pretty colors.

Recently I've been noticing that my chameleon will occasionally (usually in the middle of basking) venture to some branches and vines to climb to the bottom of the cage. Often, but not every time, he will then walk across the bottom. Almost like he is patrolling his turf or something, but I get the sense he is looking for something. I don't know if it's a way out, but doesn't seem to be looking for food. He ignores any feeders at the bottom and only hunts them when he is up top.

He seems very healthy otherwise and his other behavior also seems really normal. I also used to see his "neutral" colors more frequently, but now I only see them at night after he's sleeping. He spends most of his day basking or hunting.
Oh and I'm also unsure if I have enough hiding places for him.

My main concerns:
Is it normal to not see his neutral and lighter colors during the day?
Should I be worried about his bottom walking? It really only lasts a minute or two a couple times per day. Is it a stress response looking to escape?

I know he would also probably prefer to be higher up, do you recommend I find a way to raise the cage a few feet off the ground?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled, 7 months old. Had him for 5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not more than once per week for only a couple minutes at a time
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • Gutloaded crickets (carrots, sweet potatoes, kale mostly), gutloaded superworms, and an occasional hornworm. Have been feeding 5-6 crickets 2x per day, starting to slow down
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Reptivite vitamin (once every 3-4 weeks), repashy calcium without d3 every day
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • Mist 2-3 times per day for 3-4 minutes each. First thing in the morning and 2~ish hours before he goes to bed. Also provide a dripper over leaves 1-2 times per day for 15 minutes. See him drink on occasion but he's shy about it!
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • Very consistent, looks healthy and solid. Never been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 48 inches tall x 24 x 24 screen mesh enclosure
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • 12 hours UVB (tube light) and incandescent bulb (separate lights) and 12 hours no light.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • 2 sensor in cage at basking spot. Use a temp gun to test floor and other areas.
    • 80-85 basking, 75-78 ambient temp
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • hygrometer on the top of the cage
    • averages 45-50 throughout day. no fogging or misting at night, so no night time spikes, but when I mist morning and evening it spikes above 80%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • There's currently a small and growing hibiscus as well as a golden pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • Its not near any air vents or high traffic areas, but now that I'm working from home all the time, his cage is near my desk. the cage rests on the floor, so its 48 inches from the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
    • NY

1598300637041.png
1598300653349.png
1598300685002.png

@chamsofgram See my feedback in red bold.

My main concerns:
Is it normal to not see his neutral and lighter colors during the day? Yes they darken when absorbing heat.
Should I be worried about his bottom walking? It really only lasts a minute or two a couple times per day. Is it a stress response looking to escape? Nope he is now at an age where he is maturing and patrolling his territory. THis is totally normal.

I know he would also probably prefer to be higher up, do you recommend I find a way to raise the cage a few feet off the ground? On a table is best. They do prefer to be high.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male veiled, 7 months old. Had him for 5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not more than once per week for only a couple minutes at a time
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • Gutloaded crickets (carrots, sweet potatoes, kale mostly), gutloaded superworms, and an occasional hornworm. Have been feeding 5-6 crickets 2x per day, starting to slow down... Make sure you start curbing him back as he starts maturing. At this age start working him over to an every other day feeding of 5-6 feeders. When he is 12 months it should be every other day 3 feeders.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Reptivite vitamin (once every 3-4 weeks), repashy calcium without d3 every day Can you please post a pic of the front of your supplements?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • Mist 2-3 times per day for 3-4 minutes each. First thing in the morning and 2~ish hours before he goes to bed. Also provide a dripper over leaves 1-2 times per day for 15 minutes. See him drink on occasion but he's shy about it!
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • Very consistent, looks healthy and solid. Never been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 48 inches tall x 24 x 24 screen mesh enclosure
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • 12 hours UVB (tube light) and incandescent bulb (separate lights) and 12 hours no light.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • 2 sensor in cage at basking spot. Use a temp gun to test floor and other areas.
    • 80-85 basking, 75-78 ambient temp
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • hygrometer on the top of the cage
    • averages 45-50 throughout day. no fogging or misting at night, so no night time spikes, but when I mist morning and evening it spikes above 80%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • There's currently a small and growing hibiscus as well as a golden pothos. Hibiscus prefer high light or they die off...
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • Its not near any air vents or high traffic areas, but now that I'm working from home all the time, his cage is near my desk. the cage rests on the floor, so its 48 inches from the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
    • NY
hammock should be removed they hold bacteria and chams can get their nails caught in them. You might check out Dragon ledges www.dragonstrand.com which would give you the ability to mount branches and plants.
Artificial plants should be removed. Looks like your pothos is dying off too. Should be a bit fuller with plants and branches.

Here is a good site for accurate info as well for cage set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/

Recently I've been noticing that my chameleon will occasionally (usually in the middle of basking) venture to some branches and vines to climb to the bottom of the cage. Often, but not every time, he will then walk across the bottom. Almost like he is patrolling his turf or something, but I get the sense he is looking for something.
Maybe he dropped a bug once and is still looking for it? ?
(My dog does that with crumbs. Even after he finds it, he'll patrol that same piece of floor for days in case he missed any...)

My main concerns:
Is it normal to not see his neutral and lighter colors during the day?
Should I be worried about his bottom walking? It really only lasts a minute or two a couple times per day. Is it a stress response looking to escape?
Yup, Nope, and probably not, in that order.

I know he would also probably prefer to be higher up, do you recommend I find a way to raise the cage a few feet off the ground?
If his enclosure is on or near the floor, yes. He should be at or above eye-level when basking.

Back
Top Bottom