Hawk moths

Chameleonmaster

Avid Member
I had a few left over horn worms that got too big on me so I let them go to moths. I didn't have a cage ready for them so they were in a container when they were pupating. I opened my room and heard a bunch if fluttering in the window and found this monster!
u5y4e6uh.jpg

nyrasymu.jpg

I will be getting a cage together tomorrow.

How many did you pupate? If you don't have at least 8-15 you probably won't get much in the way of eggs. If they don't make eggs you can always feed them off.

Hopefully you will get a few, the moths will live for a few days to a week depending on whether they are able to eat. Some just don't fly well or can't feed from the feeder, those don't last long at all. I have 13 right now, so far I have gotten about 75 eggs, and three died today.

Good luck! I hope your moths are smart and healthy.

this one was making a racket in the bedroom window, thats the only reason i knew he hatched. i quickly grabbed a deli cup and snatched him.

How long until u got a moth? From when you got the horns and from when they pupating? I get containers of horned worms regularly and never had moths but are intreseted to try them as feeders.

its about 2 weeks till they're big enough to pupate, then it took about 1 months for them to turn to moths. roughly 6-7 weeks but i've had a couple that went for 2 months before.

Hahaha:D I had the same thing happen to me the other day and it freaked me out! I walked outside of my bedroom and heard a crazy fluttering sound. It startled me a bit until I realized it was the Hawk Moth I had chilling in a container in its cocoon. Very cool looking moth btw:)

I've got 15 that buried and are "percolating" under the soil in a plastic tote... My first try at letting them pupate... I'm excited to see how it goes with them!!

One of mine escaped one night... they sound like helicopters when they fly and their eyes reflect light so glow brightly! Code brown time...

Back
Top Bottom