Having troubles breeding my panthers

I have a beautiful male ambilobe who is about 2 years old and i have gotten him a female in hopes or breeding them. She is about 1 year old and is showing her bright pink receptive colors, however when i introduce her to him my male doesnt seem very interested. The first attempt my male did the typical head bobs and fired up, however she was not responsive. Now when i introduce them she remains a bright pink and approaches my male but he doesn't react to her. He will fire up, gape and his eye turrets will turn black but thats all that he will do. If i leave them together for any amount of time he usually ends up on the opposite side of the cage of her even hiding sometimes. It seems like she is interested but is not. Plese help im open to any suggestions from more experienced members. My male is very tame and rarley aggressive im wondering if hes just not a breeder or if im doing something wrong. Ive attached pictures of my female.
20180429_104012.jpg
20180430_175915.jpg

20180430_175915.jpg
20180429_104012.jpg

At 2 years old he shouldn't have a problem mating. Not too old and losing his drive?

I had the same problem with a male up where I lived (1700 meters above sea level, naturally low humidity) and I went on holiday to a tropical coast and brought all Chams with me. When I was there he all of a sudden became a lot more interested in mating. I don't know if it had anything to do with the air pressure change, temperature or humidity. Maybe you can try increasing humidity and misting to simulate a response.

I know some people also try encourage their males by showing them other males first, getting them fired up and territorial. If you don't have another male maybe pull a mirror up in front of him to fire him up and then introduce the female after you've removed the mirror.

You could also introduce them differently. Put her in his cage, him in her cage, or maybe even put them in a large plant outside both of their cages - keep a close eye that neither escape.

Let us know if you try anything and if it works?

I have a beautiful male ambilobe who is about 2 years old and i have gotten him a female in hopes or breeding them. She is about 1 year old and is showing her bright pink receptive colors, however when i introduce her to him my male doesnt seem very interested. The first attempt my male did the typical head bobs and fired up, however she was not responsive. Now when i introduce them she remains a bright pink and approaches my male but he doesn't react to her. He will fire up, gape and his eye turrets will turn black but thats all that he will do. If i leave them together for any amount of time he usually ends up on the opposite side of the cage of her even hiding sometimes. It seems like she is interested but is not. Plese help im open to any suggestions from more experienced members. My male is very tame and rarley aggressive im wondering if hes just not a breeder or if im doing something wrong. Ive attached pictures of my female.View attachment 204924 View attachment 204925
View attachment 204925 View attachment 204924

Wish I knew the secret answer for you. My 2 year old is the same way. I've been trying for the last couple of months on the weekends to get him to breed. For the first month he would do like yours and just go to the opposite side of the cage. I've tried putting them in each others cages, showing him one of my other males before putting him with her, letting him see the other male do his dating ritual towards her and put them outside in my maple tree while I watched for hawks to circle.

This last month he has mounted her several times but not actually performed the deed. I've consulted with a couple of breeders and they were stumped too. I was told usually if they mount they go all the way through copulation. I have noticed a change in her demeanor though after the last time and decided to stop trying to pair them. She will now be paired with the wc male after he's had his quarantine/ fecal done.

Sometimes you just have to accept not all males will breed. I'm perfectly cool with letting mine live out his days as the awesome little guy he is. Though, I realize that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

Thanks for the info everyone. Ive put them together today in a neutral location and he seemed much more interested in her. He not only fired up but also began to persure her when she walked away, he tries to mount her once but unfortunately the branch they were on gave way and ruined the moment lol. Ive talked to a local breeder and she seems to think my female may already be gravid and thats the reason i seem to be getting no where. I did pair them up once before and when i returned she had turned from a bright pink to a dark grey with pink spots signifying that she was gravid? but since then her resting color has returned to the bright pink. I know i should have kept an eye on them to see if her mounted her but i wasnt able to, im just not confident shes gravid let along fertile. The attached pictures of her are most recent but of course they dont do the true colors and justice.
20180501_195712.jpg
20180501_195712.jpg
20180501_195712.jpg

What's the story behind your username PapaYskoud? That's "Daddy Ice Cold" from the South African Afrikaans language.
Yup, that's my 9 year old boy! His chameleon is Yskoud and he is the dad of his chameleon. Thus the username. I am originally from South Africa (as @dshuld mentioned). My children (born in the USA and have not yet been to RSA) hardly now any Afrikaas. Some male panthers do lose their drive young though, so it is not impossible. Also as summer rolls in some boys become more eager to breed! Try again in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom