Having some issues

I'm sorry you lost your other chameleon in spite of such a long battle with it.

hybrid said..."When I was going thru my battle with the little guy who died of whatever it was (8 months old and no better than 10 grams) we went thru the gamut of treatments"...I have seen and heard of this lack of growth a few times...but don't know for sure why it happens. In one case that I know of the chameleon showed hypovitaminosis A in spite of being given preformed vitamin A in its diet. ...and its parents being given preformed too.

hybrid said..."Pyrantle incase of a worm problem"...no fecal was done?

Metronidizal (dont know what that did........gram neg bac?)....I assume you mean metronidazole (aka flagyl)?
"Metronidazole can be given for protozoan (flagellates, amoebae) overgrowth. Many protozoa are commensal or harmless unless in large numbers. It may cause seizures if overdosed. "
http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptiles/detail.aspx?aid=16730&cid=3977&search=

It also works against some bacteria...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2002/sept2002/flagyl/flagyl.html

hybrid said.."finaly we tried ammacacien and by the time he was due for the next shot he was dead"...i had this happen with a couple of chameleons and with other lizards that were treated with it although I have heard of others being treated successfully with amikacin. If overdosed, it can cause ear and balance problems in humans and this is part of what I thought I was seeing in the chameleons and other lizards....so I wondered if the medication was mixed at the right ratio for the reptiles. Temperature can affect the clearance rate in some reptiles....don't know if that was part of the issue or not.

Well today she seems to be doing "A LITTLE BETTER" as she climbs with her forelegs abit more and is at least grasping things with her hind feet.

She definetly has some sort of respitory problem.......I see the mucous when she opens her mouth..........I tend to think I probably helped that with me forcing water and other liquids into her.

Im hoping the next week of baytril will finish that off and I can see her regain her composure. Seems all my chams will fight to live and that makes me happy.

Again for all you guys that helped me out, I appreciate it and especially you Jim!

Kinyonga, no fecal was done on the little guy who died on me. The vet who does specialize in exotics who was visiting my surgical vet neighbor (from ohio) said he looked like he needed to eat more. I told her what the deal was with him and she prescribed the treatments.

We did a dillution of pyrantle and the others and finally got to the ama and I am pretty sure that the amma is the straw that broke the camels back you know?

We shall see how this turns out.

Still no real changes..........she is moving around the medical cage some but not too much. The back legs have a tiny and let me stress TINY improvement with grasping but she still pulls herself around the cage with her front legs.

Her color is a very dark brown and if I thought she could do something like lay eggs I dont believe to be there........Id put her in a bucket to see if she could do it.

In any case Im continuing the treatment of baytril untill wednesday and then its all up to her.

Toss another update for yall.........

She is less lethargic but still has very little control of those hind limbs. Almost done with the baytril course and I will continue mixing in the calcium powder with her water and babyfood cocktail.

On a side note, I had placed my little sambava female with her mate for three days at a couple hours a day. Never actually saw copulation but Im hoping it happened as she is plumping right up and having fits of hunger strikes and then gourging on calcium dusted crickets.

I hope that she doesnt lay a batch of unfertilized eggs on me. After she is done I will put her back in with him just to be sure.

Next update

I tossed a couple crickets in her cage..........she eats.

Still really not wanting to use those back legs. She kind of gets around on the screen but every so often I still see her laying on the cage floor.

If by chance she is absolutely egg bound.............what good would it do to put her in a bucket of soil? I cant see how she could pass eggs if she is that weak in the back.

I cant feel any eggs at all...........and not having ready access to an x-ray Im wondering what I should try next.

Back
Top Bottom