Haven't seen her eat

dragon923

I have a jackson chameleon that I have had for a month and I haven't really seen her eat. I have seen her attempt but not catch any thing. I mist the cage but she does not drink when I'm there. She actually doesn't do much of anything. She is always on the same branch. I have a fishers cameleon that's doing well in a cage beside hers. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Here are some pics. 1408751403400.jpg

1408751536710.jpg
Not sure how old she is bought her at a reptile show from the same lady I got the fishers cameleon from just know she is captive bred and it's a girl she even sold me the set up.

One thing that will be needed is for you to fill out this, copy and paste it:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Also, before you do that, I can already see some problems. First, you need horizontal branches going across the enclosure and a lot more foliage. You will also need to make the tank more vertical. You need foliage and vines and branches going all the way to the top, or at least close enough to the lamp that she has a basking spot. Also, I can't tell if there is a UVB lamp in there or not, but you will definitely need one.
Take a look at the care sheets here, they will definitely help and they have tons of information:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Surf around the website as well. You may find people with similar problems, and descriptions of problems and how to solve them.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female iv had for a month not sure of age
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Haven't handle much cause she is still real skiddish
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? Crickets about 6 daily. What is the schedule? In the afternoon. are you gut-loading your feeders?yes
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? It's a zilla product I'm out at the moment so not sure of name
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I mist with spray bottle. How often and how long to you mist? For about 10 mins 3 times a day. Do you see your chameleon drinking? No
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No its like a dark brown color
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 30x16
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo med 5.0 u b and 100 watt basking light on at 10 a off at 10p
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Baskin spot is 80 but she is never in it usually on the cool side which is about 65 to 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity isis 60%...zilla thermometer and a zilla digital thermometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Artificial plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In living room by fire place on a shelf.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Kentucky

Current Problem - haven seen her eat or drink

Ok, so, not seeing her drink is ok, most chameleons don't drink in front of their owners. Is there a little white thingy on the poop as well? that is called a urate, it's her pee. It should be a nice stark white. The fact that she's pooping means that she is at least eating a little bit. If she just moved into that enclosure, it's normal for chameleons not to eat for a few days as they get used to their new home. Are you cup feeding her or free roaming the crickets? How many crickets are left when you come back after each feeding? Lots of chameleons don't like to eat in front of their owners either. There are a lot of things you need to touch up on and change. One major thing is what I said before--foliage, vines, and verticality. You may want to use a smaller wattage bulb, 100 can be a little too hot and you want to be able to have the plants and branches going up higher in the cage. Please read the care sheet on the link I provided, and check EVERYTHING on there with what you have. Even things you think you have right could be wrong. The tiniest change could make a huge difference.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female iv had for a month not sure of age
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Haven't handle much cause she is still real skiddish
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? Crickets about 6 daily. What is the schedule? In the afternoon. are you gut-loading your feeders?yes
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? It's a zilla product I'm out at the moment so not sure of name
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I mist with spray bottle. How often and how long to you mist? For about 10 mins 3 times a day. Do you see your chameleon drinking? No
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No its like a dark brown color

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 30x16
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo med 5.0 u b and 100 watt basking light on at 10 a off at 10p
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Baskin spot is 80 but she is never in it usually on the cool side which is about 65 to 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity isis 60%...zilla thermometer and a zilla digital thermometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Artificial plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In living room by fire place on a shelf.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Kentucky

Current Problem - haven seen her eat or drink

The urate means she's drinking, which is a good sign. Riddle me this: After you feed her and go away, when you come back, are there leftover crickets?

Back
Top Bottom