Have you seen this?!!

Laugh all you want... it's actually true, The Antelobe truly exists... I have proof:

antelobe.jpg

:)

Uh, you forgot the cute fuzzy ears :) These are too funny, keep em coming....

Also, I've played with the effects tools and stuff on photoshop but I have no idea how to move parts from one photo to another. IS it something anyone could easily explain in a pm?

Edit: Question answered. Thanks Skeleptica!

Last edited:
It continues to amaze me how many "breeders" and dealers in general post such bad ads. Misspellings, grammatical errors, run-on sentances, lack of any punctuation... and above all, a complete lack of knowledge.

Sure, I have had my mistakes...
Like, I worked with chameleons for over 10 years spelling the genus Chamaeleo as "Chameleo"... what the heck kind of purpose does that "a" serve anyway???

But I've never posted an Ad, representative of my experience and the quality of my animals, that looked like THIS:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_classifieds/showproduct.php?product=31680&sort=1&cat=26&page=1

I don't know what's better, the grammer, the paragraph structure, the MBD, or the "pose."

Oh my gawd! I totally retract what I said about his animals looking nice in this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/where-buy-chameleon-cage-5346/

The "pose" is by far the funniest thing I've ever seen related to chameleons though. I thought his quote about Sambava, Ambanja, and Ambilobe being islands that neighbor Madascar was funny, but that takes the cake! The MBD....horrible. Horrible, horrible.

here is a pic that I received from the person.

male1.jpg

So my question is...since ambanjas can have sky-blue or turquois banding, and red in the underbelly, how does the marketplace distinguish them from anilobes. I always thought that the distinguishing feature was yellow or orange in the belly. Without yellow or orange in the belly, its an ambanja? With orange or yellow, its an anilobe? This isn't the first time I've seen an animal advertised as an anilobe that looked more like an ambanja. How far is ambanja (the town) from anilobe?

I have a vested interest in saying this because I bought an ambanja that doesn't look too different from this fellow, yet, he came from the same clutch with some of his brothers that look more like traditional ambanjas (i.e., darker bands), yet he was captive hatched (but not captive bred) from a w.c. female.

Eh?

Steve

Well, a couple possibilities. First is that it's just natural variation withing the clutch, or it's possible that the dam mated with an animal from another locality somewhere along the importation process. Also, Ambanja and Ambilobe are quite close together, and I don't believe they are seperated by any natural barriers. At any rate, Ambilobe is the next closest advertised locality to Ambanja on the mainland.

Last edited:
Now, let me state that what is hilarious is the Ad. It's a bad AD. His animals might be top quality. MBD in a breeder male means little, as many were obtained with MBD to begin with. for instance, Flash Gordon, the Kammer's finest male veiled (and father of my breeder), had deformed legs and a deformed casque from MBD! Of course, the Kammers didn't do it, but his previous owner did.

This guy might have fine chameleons, do not jump to conclusions.

However, it's just evidence of how bad an AD can be. Seriously, if you had a rescued animal that has recovered from MBD, don't show the evidence in pictures. If you do, leave a disclaimer. It just LOOKS bad.

Tonight, I'm sending him a message to alert him of this, and how it appears.

Last edited:
So my question is...since ambanjas can have sky-blue or turquois banding, and red in the underbelly, how does the marketplace distinguish them from anilobes. I always thought that the distinguishing feature was yellow or orange in the belly. Without yellow or orange in the belly, its an ambanja? With orange or yellow, its an anilobe? This isn't the first time I've seen an animal advertised as an anilobe that looked more like an ambanja. How far is ambanja (the town) from anilobe?

I have a vested interest in saying this because I bought an ambanja that doesn't look too different from this fellow, yet, he came from the same clutch with some of his brothers that look more like traditional ambanjas (i.e., darker bands), yet he was captive hatched (but not captive bred) from a w.c. female.

Eh?

Steve

Check out this link: http://www.mythicalchameleons.com/ambilobe.htm

This guy agrees with me about the yellow color thing.

There's a bunch of stuff in there about a Picasso debate. I don't want to get into that. But I do think yellow is the division line between the Ambilobes and Ambanjas.

Steve

Are you f*&%#@^! kidding me with that fullspectrum ad???!!!???!!!
Oh my god, I am the first to admit that we participate in an avocation that attracts some odd ducks....but...
Seriously!!! That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life! And those poor chameleons.
Wow. Well, nothing like sabatoging yourself.

-Brad

Well, a couple possibilities. First is that it's just natural variation withing the clutch, or it's possible that the dam mated with an animal from another locality somewhere along the importation process. Also, Ambanja and Ambilobe are quite close together, and I don't believe they are seperated by any natural barriers. At any rate, Ambilobe is the next closest advertised locality to Ambanja on the mainland.

Too true. What does a panther look like from halfway between the two locations? What do you call it? :) I think Kingsnake did a great thing by trying to pin down the morphs with pictures, but their website says that Ambanjas only have dark stripes, and thats all they show, yet I know there are first hand accounts of light banded ambanjas from people who have explored the region. Interestingly, adcham doesn't mention ambilobes at all. I'm not knocking adcham. I support their efforts. I do wish they would update that site with actual pictures from the region.

I think the animal in the picture (the revered antelobe) is an ambanja unless his underbelly fires up yellow.

Well, at the risk of public ridicule, here is a link with a picture of my male: www.chameleonplantation.com There is a lot of flash bounce in the picture, but he runs from a turquois color to a darker colored (but still light) band. Its premature to post this website...oh well. I'll be posting a pretty neat blog very soon.

Steve

Eric,
You're right. He may very well take excellent care of his chams and offer fine animals. He does make himself an easy target for criticism with an ad like that though.
Additionally, he offers no care instructions on his website to give us an idea of how he is keeping these animals. (a caresheet is provided with the purchase of a chameleon)
He does tell you not to tease the dog with your cham and not to let your little brother tap on the glass.
He is apparently shipping animals at 4 to 5 weeks old

-Brad

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Although Adcham remains a great resource, I think it's pretty much dead (hence my somewhat recent presence here) and thus no new updates have been seen in a while about new pardalis locales. Your pardalis is beautiful regardless of what he is. I would say he looks Ambanja or Ankify, rather than Ambilobe. I've not been able to ever put into words "why" exactly, it just does based on seeing so many over the years. Can't say I can remember seeing yellow on an Ambanja's belly so that could very well be it.

It just surprises me that since Ambilobe is on the road between Diego Suarez and Ambanja that the Ambilobe locale is so new on the market, at least in the states. I've also been thinking about the fact that I've never seen any photos of animals in situ actually around Ambilobe, as I have many of the other locales. They must come from somewhere in the Northwest, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson and Love don't find the same morph right around the town next spring. Anyone know of photo documentation that's where they come from?

Edit: I jsut read Steve's link after posting the above. Apparently Love did get some photos from Sirama and they're saying that whatever the locale is called, it should refer to the whole general area of Ambilobe and nearby, smaller villages. So, yeah, that makes sense. Never mind

Last edited:
It continues to amaze me how many "breeders" and dealers in general post such bad ads. Misspellings, grammatical errors, run-on sentances, lack of any punctuation... and above all, a complete lack of knowledge.

Like, I worked with chameleons for over 10 years spelling the genus Chamaeleo as "Chameleo"... what the heck kind of purpose does that "a" serve anyway???

But I've never posted an Ad, representative of my experience and the quality of my animals, that looked like THIS:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_classifieds/showproduct.php?product=31680&sort=1&cat=26&page=1

I don't know what's better, the grammer, the paragraph structure, the MBD, or the "pose."

WHAT THE ? That has got to be the funniest sh*t i've seen in my life. Listen I dont claim to be a grammatical expert but that SH*t is the worse writing ever. Would some one please write this man and help him out. Oh I almost for got whats with the leg up on the wall deal ? Does his Chams do that to ?
This is great have a wonderful day all

Oh Skeleptica.........thank you for taking the time to put that together! That is so funny! And Eric...........that ad is the most friggin stupid lizard related ad I've ever seen. I was totally cracking up until I saw the MBD arms and the casque on the middle picture. I can't believe someone would actually be proud of those results. He's got a distorted view of what is really HOT...on many levels. Yucky yucky yucky! Lots of fun today. Those two ads belong in a "Hall of Shame".

Hey Steve,

Although Adcham remains a great resource, I think it's pretty much dead (hence my somewhat recent presence here) and thus no new updates have been seen in a while about new pardalis locales. Your pardalis is beautiful regardless of what he is. I would say he looks Ambanja or Ankify, rather than Ambilobe. I've not been able to ever put into words "why" exactly, it just does based on seeing so many over the years. Can't say I can remember seeing yellow on an Ambanja's belly so that could very well be it.

It just surprises me that since Ambilobe is on the road between Diego Suarez and Ambanja that the Ambilobe locale is so new on the market, at least in the states. I've also been thinking about the fact that I've never seen any photos of animals in situ actually around Ambilobe, as I have many of the other locales. They must come from somewhere in the Northwest, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson and Love don't find the same morph right around the town next spring. Anyone know of photo documentation that's where they come from?

Edit: I jsut read Steve's link after posting the above. Apparently Love did get some photos from Sirama and they're saying that whatever the locale is called, it should refer to the whole general area of Ambilobe and nearby, smaller villages. So, yeah, that makes sense. Never mind

Here are a couple photos I took in Ambilobe a few years back:

61we7oh.jpg

6h7lpxj.jpg

4lhdveo.jpg

4manp5w.jpg

This photo was of an individual to the N/NE of Ambilobe and seems to me like an intergrade between a "typical" Ambilobe and a Diego Suarez:

4lrrl82.jpg

The problem is, this is an extremely variable locale (as many are). The photo of the Antelobe, or whatever they said it was, looks to me like one of the standard color variations of Ambilobe, however.

Chris

LOL.......i kept mistype Melleri as Miller....LOL... Mike from FLChams thought i was drinking too much of Miller

Back
Top Bottom