Hatching chemeleons

ChefRowan88

Hey everyone. My veiled chameleons are starting to hatch in the incubator. This is all very new to me. Do I keep them in the incubator in the dark. Or do I put the container in which the are hatching, into the prepared enclosure?

Side note: how soon do I start hydrating them and feeding them?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

You said..."My veiled chameleons are starting to hatch in the incubator. This is all very new to me. Do I keep them in the incubator in the dark. Or do I put the container in which the are hatching, into the prepared enclosure?"... Neither.
Leave them in the incubator until they are fully out of the egg and moving around in the container you're incubating them in...then move me to a baby cage. You don't want to leave the lid off the container the eggs are in formverynlong when you open it to get the baby out because it will change the humidity and temperture and make it hard or impossible for the rest of the eggs to hatch. More about baby cages in a while..I have to look for sites for you.

You said..."Side note: how soon do I start hydrating them and feeding them?"...you will need pin head crickets or fruit flies to start off feedin them with. You can mist the plants in the cage to provide water...do not spray the babies directly. More about this in a few minutes too.

Baby cages...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/show-me-your-individual-baby-cage-setup.174755/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/the-babies-are-one-month-old.40584/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hatchling-setups-tell-me-what-you-think.175909/

Hydrating...you want to use a hand mister and set it on a very very fine spray and do not spray it so it's getting in the hatchlings' mouths.

For feeding...you want to make sure you supplement by dusting the insects lightly at every feeding but one a week with a phos free calcium powder. On that one feeding, you want to alternate between a vitamin powder and a phos free calcium/D3 powder. You want to feed the insects well so the chameleon gets healthy insects. C I jets can be fed dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, etc.
Crickets and fruit flies are good starter insects but you can use other insects for variety as well as long as they are small enough to fit in the mouth easily.

Last edited:
You said..."My veiled chameleons are starting to hatch in the incubator. This is all very new to me. Do I keep them in the incubator in the dark. Or do I put the container in which the are hatching, into the prepared enclosure?"... Neither.
Leave them in the incubator until they are fully out of the egg and moving around in the container you're incubating them in...then move me to a baby cage. You don't want to leave the lid off the container the eggs are in formverynlong when you open it to get the baby out because it will change the humidity and temperture and make it hard or impossible for the rest of the eggs to hatch. More about baby cages in a while..I have to look for sites for you.

You said..."Side note: how soon do I start hydrating them and feeding them?"...you will need pin head crickets or fruit flies to start off feedin them with. You can mist the plants in the cage to provide water...do not spray the babies directly. More about this in a few minutes too.
Hi try reading chameleon academy episode 67

Hey everyone. My veiled chameleons are starting to hatch in the incubator. This is all very new to me. Do I keep them in the incubator in the dark. Or do I put the container in which the are hatching, into the prepared enclosure?

Side note: how soon do I start hydrating them and feeding them?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
So here's my question for you. What are you going to do with them when they're old enough to be rehomed?

O I see its below your comments forgive me I'm the best at posting stuff @kinyonga @ chefrowan88if you have not read up on these, now would be a good tme to start the chameleon academy has lots of great advice i wish you good luck. O and fast

Back
Top Bottom