Has this ever happened to you before

jaglon53

So today was the day i deep clean all my cages and all went well as usual. When im done i like to just visually scan one time all my cages individually and when I looked at my one females cage there was a baby crawling up the screen. I thought maybe on accident a baby hitch hiked on my clothing and ended up in there or something like that but no this baby must of hatched out of her potted plant. She must of laid a clutch or maybe just a few eggs in there without me noticing at some point because upon further inspection i found 4 more eggs 2 that were venting. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else because this was definitely really cool and a pleasant surprise? Thanks and now that i think about it i do remember her laying a clutch in the plant opposed to her laying bin. So maybe i missed a couple of them but i still thought it was really cool how this little cham managed to climb up about 5-6 inches of pushed down sand-potting soil mix with rocks covering the whole top and be so healthy.
Does anyone have any stories about chams hatching unexpectedly from random places????
Thanks and please share if u do:)

Last edited:
I am willing to share, put the baby in a box.:) Had one lay in a tree pot in her cage, but that is all. That really sounds cool, I could do that kind surprise.

What was weird also Laurie was that the baby cham was about half a size bigger than the clutch i just hatched in vermiculite. When i started digging in the plant, the soil and sand was so wet it contradicts the way most of us think eggs should be kept during incubation. Started making me realize we all have opinions on husbandry, health and overall proper care for chams. In the end all we really have are OPINIONS and mother nature is the only one who really knows the correct formula to the T.

Congrats on the 'wild born' baby. Agree that husbandry rules are very artificial. But we also keep our Chams very artificial anyways. They are pets. Not wild animals. It is like with any pet. They are kept in a rather alien environment which is way too small for the size they are. And we are over cautious not to have casualties.

I don't breed mine, but in nature, Chams lay their eggs mainly just before the rainy season. Soil should be soaking wet upon hatching towards the end of that season. And food for the hatchlings should be abundant.

I have always wanted to see a Cham living free in the wild. It is a dream I do not expect to ever be able to fulfill. I have a wc male quad who has w 14 by 18 foot bedroom with trees that go all the way to the ceiling. I love going in spending time with him because I know he is as close as I can come to one living free. But he is really just in a larger cage. As long as the room has wall he can never be free.:(

That's amazing! That guy's going to be a strong cham for sure. Hercules seems like an appropriate name moving those boulder sized rocks. That would sure is a pretty sweet surprise.

That is way beyond cool! Talk about a pleasant surprise!! I think the little guy (gal?) needs a name that depicts his tenacity!! Can't wait to see a picture or 2!

That is way beyond cool! Talk about a pleasant surprise!! I think the little guy (gal?) needs a name that depicts his tenacity!! Can't wait to see a picture or 2!

You named him and here are some pics of this little one. Also though it sounds better he didnt move the rocks anywhere these are some large rocks covering the soil. If he did I didn't see it also I would be scared if this happened and notify Stan Lee that I have a chameleon who is going to grow to human size proportions with super powers lol! Hercules Hercules Hercules!( Grandmom Klump Voice)
Thanks Calypso and everyone for the imput!

Attachments

• 2012-09-30_14-26-55_771-172712913.jpg
    2012-09-30_14-26-55_771-172712913.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 2012-09-30_14-26-34_902831513629.jpg
    2012-09-30_14-26-34_902831513629.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
You named him and here are some pics of this little one. Also though it sounds better he didnt move the rocks anywhere these are some large rocks covering the soil. If he did I didn't see it also I would be scared if this happened and notify Stan Lee that I have a chameleon who is going to grow to human size proportions with super powers lol! Hercules Hercules Hercules!( Grandmom Klump Voice)
Thanks Calypso and everyone for the imput!

OHMYGOODNESS....he's beautiful!! :D So I was lying in bed the other night (insomniac supreme!) and was thinking of your little guy and thought of the name "Tenacious C"....lol...I thought that would be quite fitting!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom