has anyone used a halogen mini dome?

little leaf

Avid Member
m husband got me some Easter cham goodies :D one of the things he got me was a Zilla mini "light & heat dome" it uses a halogen 25 wt. bulb, I love the small size of it, but I was not sure if it was safe for the babies ? ( Jackson babies 8 days old ) or if it will hurt their eyes -

Ive used small halogen spot lights as basking lights for jacksons.

I liked them better than a regular incandescent, as they heated a smaller area, but still heated sufficiently.

The animal seemed to prefer the halogen spot light as well.

Not sure if thats the same/similar to what you have though.

I'm also interested to see what others have to say because I'd love to have a smaller basking area on the other side of my uv tube than my regular incandescent dome. Because my little panther has two spots he likes to bask in and I move the dome around to accommodate him. I was thinking about getting a mini deep dome but a halogen would make much more sense.

I have that same zilla mini dome and just as snake said, it does heat a much smaller area than a typical incandescent bulb. The light output seems very similar, but again, more concentrated as well.

I'm also interested to see what others have to say because I'd love to have a smaller basking area on the other side of my uv tube than my regular incandescent dome. Because my little panther has two spots he likes to bask in and I move the dome around to accommodate him. I was thinking about getting a mini deep dome but a halogen would make much more sense.

If he has heat and UVB access, its best to leave the lights stationary, as the chameleon will rewuire just one or another at any given time, and the animal should be allowed to regulate his heat and UVB intake as it deems necessary. ;)

I have that same zilla mini dome and just as snake said, it does heat a much smaller area than a typical incandescent bulb. The light output seems very similar, but again, more concentrated as well.

Yes, thats why I liked them for jacksons, as they require less heat overall.

How close to you basking shots are you getting appropriate temps at?

With a 45w halogen mini spot light, I was getting appropriate temps maybe 6-9" away from the actual bulb. (80-85F-ish)

I do have a sep/ UVB 18" - it is about 4 mo old- I was told not to use a brand new one, so Olive got a new light, and the babies got the older one -
I have a 25 W bulb for the mini- but I am still messing w/ the heat/height - that little thing really puts out the heat !!
they have a bask area, a UVB, and also a "cool" area - lots of live plants, and vines - so far all 6 are still doing great :D eat like little chow hounds -

Ive used small halogen spot lights as basking lights for jacksons.

I liked them better than a regular incandescent, as they heated a smaller area, but still heated sufficiently.

The animal seemed to prefer the halogen spot light as well.

Not sure if thats the same/similar to what you have though.

I think it is the same- :) we are going to go pick up 3 ( or all the rest :eek::D ) more - they have them and the bulbs on clearance :D

CAREFUL! Can cause burns....

I started using these lights about a month ago on all my lizard and chameleon enclosures. They put off less light and heat a much smaller area. All my temps were checked with a digital temperature gun. Problem is, the temp gun only does surface temperature. Because chameleons are tall, and the heat is so concentrated, 2 of my animals ended up getting mild burns. (Even though the basking surface temperatures were spot on.) This problem was rectified by lifting the lamps higher off the cage.... when checking temps with these lights take into consideration the height of the animal and measure accordingly.

I use halogen lighting because I have an Exo Terra dual top canopy. Exo Terra offers 35W halogen bulbs for these canopies however I would suggest LOWER wattage. 8" below I had a temperature reading (using 35W) of 95*F!! So my veiled's basking spot was moved to 10" below the light where it was then around 89F and that way I knew that just a couple inches up was between 93-95F. Just be aware that the heat is much more concentrated when using halogen lighting. Also I would like to point out that now that the weather has been warming up I dropped down to a 20W halogen bulb and I got a reading of 86F same basking spot. When my veiled is on the spot his upper spikes and veil hit a temp of 90F.
So to take the words from Julia's post, make sure you consider the height of your chameleon before finalizing the basking spot!
Cheers!

this is how I have mine- it is on an angel , so it only heats like 1/4 of the one side - but covers alot of the vine so they can all bask if they want to - the other part of the cage is 72 - baking is 78-80 I have mine mounted on an old microscope, so I can adjust it up or down on the angel - I just was not sure if the light would hurt their eyes :)

Last edited:
this is how I have mine- it is on an angel , so it only heats like 1/4 of the one side - but covers alot of the vine so they can all bask if they want to - the other part of the cage is 72 - baking is 78-80 I have mine mounted on an old microscope, so I can adjust it up or down on the angel - I just was not sure if the light would hurt their eyes :)

i have this same kind, used it for my first baby veiled and it does really crank out the heat! i liked it after i got it in the right spot so it wasnt over heating him :) it didnt appear to hurt his eyes but he was approximately 2 months old.

You have a lot of unused space there.

Sort of a cardinal sin. ;)

Ive not used those bulbs before...

I do have a sep/ UVB 18" - it is about 4 mo old- I was told not to use a brand new one, so Olive got a new light, and the babies got the older one -
I have a 25 W bulb for the mini- but I am still messing w/ the heat/height - that little thing really puts out the heat !!
they have a bask area, a UVB, and also a "cool" area - lots of live plants, and vines - so far all 6 are still doing great :D eat like little chow hounds -

I like that idea too.
Have you monitored the heat it gives off at say, 10'' with a digital probe?

I started using these lights about a month ago on all my lizard and chameleon enclosures. They put off less light and heat a much smaller area. All my temps were checked with a digital temperature gun. Problem is, the temp gun only does surface temperature. Because chameleons are tall, and the heat is so concentrated, 2 of my animals ended up getting mild burns. (Even though the basking surface temperatures were spot on.) This problem was rectified by lifting the lamps higher off the cage.... when checking temps with these lights take into consideration the height of the animal and measure accordingly.

I agree.

great point RandJ!!

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

Too focused hot light is bad.:eek::eek:

That would be like them trying to bask in the tiny-est little micro pin-beam of sunlight streaming down through the branches in the wild.

Does not create a large enough basking zone.

I am so sorry to be a downer here....:(

because it seems like it might be good....

but I just had to call it as I see it for the animals sake.

Cheers!
Todd

Last edited:
I agree.

great point RandJ!!

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

Too focused hot light is bad.:eek::eek:

That would be like them trying to bask in the tiny-est little micro pin-beam of sunlight streaming down through the branches in the wild.

Does not create a large enough basking zone.

I am so sorry to be a downer here....:(

because it seems like it might be good....

but I just had to call it as I see it for the animals sake.

Cheers!
Todd

I have a dig/ read out- (temp/humi)I set the tank up a few days before I moved them into it so I could read all the temps in dif/ areas - the light is on such a slant, it covers about 1/4 of the top- maybe a tad more- the "pinhead" highest part of the light hits in the center so they can not get under that part of the light unless they are quite low in the tank - (that readind is 73 ;) ) and I was sure to make it so they can not get on the roof - that was my biggest worry- they are still very samll, so I do not worry about the height (yet) - but I did be sure to check that in Olive's ( the mom) cage-but she just has a reg 40 wt
you are no "downer" - ANY HELP is always welcome :D and if I was doing something wrong, I would sure want to be told :) and I am glad you are looking out for the chams :)
the only thing I am doing is adding more plants - and a "runway" along the top so they can pass each other with a bit more room - but in less then 2 weeks they are all getting sep/ cages - or at least only 2 in a cage- they are growing so fast, but I worry about "bullying" - so I want to get them split up soon
I am at work- and trust me - ALL my thoughts are on them -

You have a lot of unused space there.

Sort of a cardinal sin. ;)

Ive not used those bulbs before...

lol- not all the way done- a few more plants to go in yet- but I was looking for a smaller one- the only one I have left is way to big for that cage- maybe gonna do some shopping after work today :)

I am still kinda "up in the air" on those bulbs too- I love the tiny dome- but I do not like that "pinhead" death ray - LOL that does worry me, like if the light gets moved even a TINY bit - it will change the whole temp/ thing I got going
I am SOOO glad I do not have a cat to worry about jumping up there and moving anything :p

Back
Top Bottom