Has anyone ever kept furcifer angeli

ciafardo 4

I know they have rarely been kept in captivity and they were banned from export in 1995 but has anyone in Europe kept them or seen them? Any pics anyone has would be great. How about it Benny have you ever seen a live specimen ?

Personally I have never kept them but I'm with you on this one I'd love to see some better pics besides the ones on the web. The have been one of my favorites to look at and I think I've seen all the pics on the net. The males have always looked like sawfish to me and the females look like young female pardalis if I remember correctly. When I set enough money aside to go to madagascar they are one of my "have to photograph" species for sure. Truly fascinating to say the least.

justin

There was an article written by a student from the university of florida that I read about 3 years back about them amongst other rare malagasy chameleons but I can't find it. There were some killer photos along with it also. I had it saved on my computer. When I find it i will post it on here for you.

Here ya go:

4233184850_575cfb86b3_o.jpg

Chris

if you google them....its fantastic....Chris your pic is fantastic...they show a red color as adults

There has been speculation that Furcifer angeli may be a natural hybrid of F. pardalis and F. rhinoceratus.

i think that this speculation is possible.

In the new handbook of François Le Berre, he speak that to may be there are natural hybrid for Furcifer Tuzetae of F. verrucossus and F. antimena, and for Furcifer belalandaensis of F.antimena and F.Lateralis.

Why not?

i think that this speculation is possible.

In the new handbook of François Le Berre, he speak that to may be there are natural hybrid for Furcifer Tuzetae of F. verrucossus and F. antimena, and for Furcifer belalandaensis of F.antimena and F.Lateralis.

Why not?

Unfortunately there is a lot of speculation and very little justification about some of these rarer species being hybrids between two common species. I think in most cases it is an attempt to try to explain why they are so rare but rarely has there been any type of justification or evidence to support these thoughts. Two examples I can think of off the top of my head are T. pfefferi and Ch. calyptratus calcarifer.

It was suggested in the past that T. pfefferi is a hybrid between T. montium and T. quadricornis. This too seemed possible due to the presumed rarity of T. pfefferi, its sympatric records with T. montium and T. quadricornis and the intermediate morphology between the latter two species. As more T. pfefferi specimens have been found, however, it seems that few people, if anyone, thinks they are a hybrid species any longer.

In the case of Ch. calyptratus calcarifer, there was speculation that this subspecies was a hybrid between Ch. calyptratus and Ch. arabicus. In this case, however, captive crosses between these two species resulted in animals that resemble Ch. calyptratus calcarifer, thus giving at least some support for this theory.

I would never say it wasn't possible that a couple of these rare species are hybrids, as suggested, but the support for such theories is lacking. Molecular analysis of these species could help clarify their taxonomic origins.

Chris

There was an article written by a student from the university of florida that I read about 3 years back about them amongst other rare malagasy chameleons but I can't find it. There were some killer photos along with it also. I had it saved on my computer. When I find it i will post it on here for you.
Please post it if you can

Back
Top Bottom