harmful white spots from uvb exposure?

I took enchilada back to the vet today, they said he was doing good and prescribed me some more silver sulfadiazine for his burn on his back, its healing well.

My vet mentioned something to me about lightened areas on the top of his casque and said they could be signs of a serious illness/condition from too much uvb exposure, she didnt say much about it except maybe to stop taking him outside in natural sunlight every once in awhile, so i was wondering if anyone knew any more about that and what i could do to help him

Some things my vet told me was to:
- put newspapers on the bottom of his enclosure (its just bare right now)
-start feeding him small meal worms and fruit flies (i told them i only fed dubias/crickets/(treats: waxworms/superworms)
- stop gutloading bugs with fruits/veg and switch to repashy gutloading supplement or the mazuri one

^ i also wanted to know if these were good ideas before i make any changes in his routine/diet

Attachments

• 1E208470-797C-4721-9313-9DABDD07A375.png
    1E208470-797C-4721-9313-9DABDD07A375.png
    479.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 93439A80-D64E-432F-8436-EEBF702C118E.png
    93439A80-D64E-432F-8436-EEBF702C118E.png
    669 KB · Views: 62
I took enchilada back to the vet today, they said he was doing good and prescribed me some more silver sulfadiazine for his burn on his back, its healing well.

My vet mentioned something to me about lightened areas on the top of his casque and said they could be signs of a serious illness/condition from too much uvb exposure, she didnt say much about it except maybe to stop taking him outside in natural sunlight every once in awhile, so i was wondering if anyone knew any more about that and what i could do to help him

Some things my vet told me was to:
-start feeding him small meal worms and fruit flies (i told them i only fed dubias/crickets/(treats: waxworms/superworms)
- stop gutloading bugs with fruits/veg and switch to repashy gutloading supplement or the mazuri one

^ i also wanted to know if these were good ideas before i make any changes in his routine/diet
Umm…why on all of it?
The only thing that I can find any rationale for is putting newspapers on the floor as if your floor is black, it’ll absorb heat.
My vet is always telling me to take my chameleons outside more for natural sun. While we try with our uvb and supplements, there really is no comparison to giving our animals natural sunlight and fresh air. I don’t know about the white spots, so can’t speak about that.
Why would you go from a nice variety of healthy feeders to ones that are too small (fruit flies) and not so easy to digest or as nutritious (mealworms)?
The more variety of fresh produce you feed your feeders, the more nutrients they can pass on. I feed primarily produce, but do also give a bit of Repashy Bug Burger to round things out.
I say keep doing what you’re doing and if you’re brave enough, send your vet for some schooling to Chameleon Academy.

What I´m going say are just my observations and not scientifically substantiated. I notice, especially with montane species, that they´re really well in regulating UVB exposure or specifically regulating overexposure of UVB. Don´t see this behavior with a Panther or Veiled, they can bask UVB all day. However, the montane species (got a Xan and Boehmei) seem to bask and then hide or go lower for less UVB exposure. Therefore, my question is, does your enclosure have a lot of foliage and branches where he can chose he´s exposure to UVB. If this is case I don´t think the white spots are from overexposure. And those lightened area´s on his head are what I belief pretty normal, mine has the same and I can only see some shed residue on the picture. Am I right about this @JacksJill?

But, once again I´m no vet nor are I extremely experienced and this is just based on my own observations. And for the rest I´m with @MissSkittles on this.

What I´m going say are just my observations and not scientifically substantiated. I notice, especially with montane species, that they´re really well in regulating UVB exposure or specifically regulating overexposure of UVB. Don´t see this behavior with a Panther or Veiled, they can bask UVB all day. However, the montane species (got a Xan and Boehmei) seem to bask and then hide or go lower for less UVB exposure. Therefore, my question is, does your enclosure have a lot of foliage and branches where he can chose he´s exposure to UVB. If this is case I don´t think the white spots are from overexposure. And those lightened area´s on his head are what I belief pretty normal, mine has the same and I can only see some shed residue on the picture. Am I right about this @JacksJill?

But, once again I´m no vet nor are I extremely experienced and this is just based on my own observations. And for the rest I´m with @MissSkittles on this.
Yes… i moved recently and some plants got damaged in the process, so i had to replace them with some fake vines for now until his new plants come in. Thats also why i had to find a new vet, my old vet was great and said his schedule was absolutely fine and that the only thing i should change was actually more heat and more uvb exposure. (his heat lamp is now propped up with a crate as well). I also talked to some employees at my local reptile shop and they said dont change much, just add more plants to his cage.

Attachments

• 4B86111B-EFBF-4BCA-A4DA-41791A8CAD0D.png
    4B86111B-EFBF-4BCA-A4DA-41791A8CAD0D.png
    586.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DCD1DEDA-4034-4B25-B74E-8F94D1D28885.png
    DCD1DEDA-4034-4B25-B74E-8F94D1D28885.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 52
Umm…why on all of it?
The only thing that I can find any rationale for is putting newspapers on the floor as if your floor is black, it’ll absorb heat.
My vet is always telling me to take my chameleons outside more for natural sun. While we try with our uvb and supplements, there really is no comparison to giving our animals natural sunlight and fresh air. I don’t know about the white spots, so can’t speak about that.
Why would you go from a nice variety of healthy feeders to ones that are too small (fruit flies) and not so easy to digest or as nutritious (mealworms)?
The more variety of fresh produce you feed your feeders, the more nutrients they can pass on. I feed primarily produce, but do also give a bit of Repashy Bug Burger to round things out.
I say keep doing what you’re doing and if you’re brave enough, send your vet for some schooling to Chameleon Academy.
yeah i think ill continue to gutload with fresh food, only thing im changing is what brand of supplements i use, im switching to the rep cal brands. tysm, he really loves to sit on his little tree outside on nice days.

Attachments

• D020667F-F689-4062-B9B0-4F07B4B03B8F.png
    D020667F-F689-4062-B9B0-4F07B4B03B8F.png
    818.5 KB · Views: 52
  • ED9C32DC-FDFE-4512-9029-1FEC966AB030.png
    ED9C32DC-FDFE-4512-9029-1FEC966AB030.png
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 56
Yes… i moved recently and some plants got damaged in the process, so i had to replace them with some fake vines for now until his new plants come in. Thats also why i had to find a new vet, my old vet was great and said his schedule was absolutely fine and that the only thing i should change was actually more heat and more uvb exposure. (his heat lamp is now propped up with a crate as well). I also talked to some employees at my local reptile shop and they said dont change much, just add more plants to his cage.
Can remember your enclosure, nice and big 👍🏻. Are you using any plant lights? And is the basking light on a timer? I only led them bask for 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. The UVB and jungle dawn plant produce enough heat for the right temps. When I use all day a basking light, noticed many times gaping / overheating. Without a basking light they’ll have some problem with their bowel movements.

Do you any pictures of his white spots? The only white spots I can see are shed residues.

It is ok to take your Jackson's chameleon out for sun on medium temperature days but they must absolutely be able to get into the shade at all times if they want to. My outdoor jacks bask quite a bit during the day when it is cold without a problem. They all have heavily planted cages so the choice is theirs. Over heating is the greater danger.
Don't use mealworms use supers. If you use Repashy Bug burger don't use the supplements it will cause gular edema in montanes, too much of a good thing. There is more but I am short on time.
The only light areas I'm seeing look like stuck shed. What am I missing. I'll be back later.

Can remember your enclosure, nice and big 👍🏻. Are you using any plant lights? And is the basking light on a timer? I only led them bask for 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. The UVB and jungle dawn plant produce enough heat for the right temps. When I use all day a basking light, noticed many times gaping / overheating. Without a basking light they’ll have some problem with their bowel movements.

Do you any pictures of his white spots? The only white spots I can see are shed residues.
his lights are on automatic timers, 12 hrs on 12hrs off. I do have led plant lights that i need to set up still, his basking bulb does heat up his enclosure quite a bit around the afternoon and i notice him gaping, so i might try letting him bask in the morning for a few hours, turning it off, and then later in the day let him bask again like you said, and then his plant lights will provide him with enough light hopefully. heres an image of the white spots/discoloration

Attachments

• E10F7DDD-6C03-4E85-80E6-9E212B1A949C.jpeg
    E10F7DDD-6C03-4E85-80E6-9E212B1A949C.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 58
his lights are on automatic timers, 12 hrs on 12hrs off. I do have led plant lights that i need to set up still, his basking bulb does heat up his enclosure quite a bit around the afternoon and i notice him gaping, so i might try letting him bask in the morning for a few hours, turning it off, and then later in the day let him bask again like you said, and then his plant lights will provide him with enough light hopefully. heres an image of the white spots/discoloration
Thanks, still looks IMHO like stuck shed.
All day a basking light is absolutely not necessary with led plant lights, therefore good intentions 👍🏻

Is you cage little ones combined into one?

Thats definitely stuck shed. I see it on the side of his horn too. Id say change the vet if you can, nothing made sense from what he/she told you.

I see it now thanks for the pictures. I'm not terribly excited by it and I would continue to keep an eye on it. If it's a burn it is a mild one but stuck shed is more likely.

I have a minute finally to break down what the vet told you.
If I'm trying to collect a fecal or need to be scrupulously clean like for an isolation cage I use paper towels. I don't like newsprint. Otherwise I keep the bottoms bare for easy cleaning. So either or.
I hope he/she meant small supers and black soldier flies, unless I'm totally misjudging his size and age.
I would advise against using the Repashy gut load in conjunction with a strong supplement schedule as this can lead to gular edema.
Here is a link to the schedule I use and some others for Jackson's. If he gets a lot of outdoor time regularly then only use multi with D vit once a month.

My Jackson's Supplement Schedule

Back
Top Bottom