Hardy Dubias?

RiftPoint

Prior to my first chameleon passing away in April I had bought a small container of Dubia roaches, I ended up putting them in the same cage that I was keeping my crickets in. Well, when my veiled passed I only had a couple of crickets left and the roaches. Not thinking much of it I hadn't done anything with the cricket cage since then (no extra food, H2O) figuring I'd give it a good cleaning just prior to getting a new cham. Lo and behold the roaches are still doing fine (there might even be a couple more of them, I didn't count and I didn't buy "breeders").

I'm guessing this probably isn't very unusual for these guys to be so resilient, considering they're roaches... I guess I'll just fatten them up for when I get my new cham!

It seems in the tub they are immortal. I heard them lasting 6 months+ with no food and water because they were forgot about. Still mine dont last long outside the tub, i find them dried up a few days/week later.

Dubias are pretty resilient, and they will eat pretty much anything carbohydrate or cellulose based. Like cardboard or egg crates. Not saying it's healthy, but they will. They have a life span of about 2 years and gestation of about 2 months, so they probably will reproduce assuming there are males and females. They are live bearers so don't be surprised if you see tiny nymphs running around.

I have a fully planted (live plants) terrarium with a chameleon and when it died over a year ago I didn't have the heart or energy to break it down. The terrarium sat for a year, with no misting or lighting. One day my son "heard something" a year later in the terrarium...it was a big fat Dubia scrambling around, looking quite robust and healthy. One year later...no heating, no watering...pretty impressive

Back
Top Bottom