Hardest... not Hardiest

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Hello there,

I hope everyone and their chameleons are well!

Today, I have a question that is no more than curiosity: Everyone is always discussing how Veiled and Panther chameleons are the best started chameleons as their needs are easier to meet. However, what was the most difficult and demanding species of chameleons that you have ever kept? I'd love to know

-Keopi and Mondo

For me personally, I had a female panther who was blind in one eye. She was my first chameleon and I wasn't given the right advice. I should have been given a small vivarium but was sold a very tall viv. Consequently, she fell a lot which was distressing. I prepared her egg box and she laid 28 eggs successfully. But one egg broke inside her so she got an internal infection. It was heartbreaking and I cared for her 24/7 for 3 days before she died. She was my hardest (although my experience is limited), because I was given bad advice. Fortunately, I read a lot and adjusted her viv to help her with her sight. But watching her become so confident in her environment and then see her so distressed was hard. I would urge people to only buy a female if they are experienced and intend to breed. Those lovely girls go through so much, they need serious care. NOT for beginners.

Melleri and WC parsonii have to rank highest on the most difficult list.
Partially, what is difficult for you depends on your climate, what comes intuitively for you ( some people have a intuitive knack for caring for plants and animals, but this intuition alone will not qualify one to care for every species ), your budget, your creativity, and your space requirements.
I wouldn't consider most chameleons hard, if you start with a healthy animal and where you live is close to that animal's natural environment in climate.

I think jacksons are among the easiest. They get listed as slightly more difficult, but other than not overdoing the supplements, avoiding extreme heat, above 85F, and providing enough water, I find their personality more agreeable, livebearing species eliminate some of the risk associated with egg laying, and they are smaller.

Back
Top Bottom