Happy Gotcha Day, Kitty Kat!

It’s important to know what it is exactly that makes the plant toxic. For pothos it’s calcium oxalates crystals. These can be irritating to the digestive tract, which is usually the reason it’s put on toxic plant lists. (Hope I‘ve got this next part correct.) While oxalates can bind to calcium and therefore reduce your animals blood calcium levels, these are already bound from the plant’s calcium so can’t bind to anymore.
Then look at a plant like foxglove. It’s toxic because it contains digitalis which can cause a heart arrhythmia that can be fatal.
Ok, that's really interesting to know. My girl is an avid plant eater. Thank you for sharing!

It’s important to know what it is exactly that makes the plant toxic. For pothos it’s calcium oxalates crystals. These can be irritating to the digestive tract, which is usually the reason it’s put on toxic plant lists. (Hope I‘ve got this next part correct.) While oxalates can bind to calcium and therefore reduce your animals blood calcium levels, these are already bound from the plant’s calcium so can’t bind to anymore.
Then look at a plant like foxglove. It’s toxic because it contains digitalis which can cause a heart arrhythmia that can be fatal.
very good point. I also know by personal experience that calcium crystals causes psuedogout. Which is exactly the same as gout. The crystals get into the senovial fluid in the joints and causes the same reaction as uric acid crystals. Its also treated the same way. The kidney is responsble for fine filtering and maintaining safe levels. for numerous reasons this can fail And with time the uric acid or calcium can crystalize and once those crystals get into the joint fluid it causes damage to the joint. its like tiny shards of glass being pushed thru the joint with any movement of that joint. This makes sense now why none of my chams have ever nibbled on my pathos. Sorry for being off track. Just did a deep dive into understanding psuedogout. I can attest that pain level is 10 . one doc looked at my knee and asked was i born with that deformity? Ah no, thats why i am here. Because senovial fluid is thick, draining it was so much fun. 80cc later, it still looked deformed!

very good point. I also know by personal experience that calcium crystals causes psuedogout. Which is exactly the same as gout. The crystals get into the senovial fluid in the joints and causes the same reaction as uric acid crystals. Its also treated the same way. The kidney is responsble for fine filtering and maintaining safe levels. for numerous reasons this can fail And with time the uric acid or calcium can crystalize and once those crystals get into the joint fluid it causes damage to the joint. its like tiny shards of glass being pushed thru the joint with any movement of that joint. This makes sense now why none of my chams have ever nibbled on my pathos. Sorry for being off track. Just did a deep dive into understanding psuedogout. I can attest that pain level is 10 . one doc looked at my knee and asked was i born with that deformity? Ah no, thats why i am here. Because senovial fluid is thick, draining it was so much fun. 80cc later, it still looked deformed!
Holy cow that is crazy!

Ok friends, I am working on redoing some of the plants in my enclosure and adding more to my panthers; I just want to make sure I am reading this website correctly; this Parlour Palm is safe to put with my ferocious plant-eating veiled because it says its not poisonous, correct?
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 8.50.10 AM.png

My other question is, if my panther does not eat plants am I more ok with putting other plants in his enclosure because there is no concern for ingestion?

More questions. I have a polka dot begonia in there as well; according to this, I should remove it as well?
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 9.13.26 AM.png

Both are safe. I love parlor palms and had one in with my plant-eating female and another in with my male veiled and no issues. I recall seeing the begonia on a safe plant list and had one in with my male veiled and male panther with no issues. Those are now sitting in my kitchen where my cat has been nibbling them and she’s fine…just a jerk.

Both are safe. I love parlor palms and had one in with my plant-eating female and another in with my male veiled and no issues. I recall seeing the begonia on a safe plant list and had one in with my male veiled and male panther with no issues. Those are now sitting in my kitchen where my cat has been nibbling them and she’s fine…just a jerk.
Thank you so much! I'll probably have more learning questions as I go through everything in her enclosure. Just want to make sure I do it all right :)

Back
Top Bottom