Happy Gotcha Day, Kitty Kat!

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello Everyone!

Today is the year marker for the day we brought Kitty Kat home. I wanted to share some photos of her enclosure from when we first got her a year ago today and what her enclosure looks like now. I feel it speaks volumes about the amount of knowledge I have learned from all of you here on the Chameleon Forums, the Chameleon Academy, and Neptune the Chameleon. I cannot express enough gratitude to those who have taken the time to teach and guide me through this amazing chameleon adventure. This sweet girl would not be a healthy, thriving chameleon otherwise.

Kitty's enclosure a year ago today: (eek!!)
IMG-4878.jpg

Kitty's enclosure now:
IMG-6656.jpg

I have truly loved caring for this girl over the last year and hope to get many more years with her. I've attached some of my favorites in the photos below. Enjoy!

IMG-6333 2.jpg
IMG-6619.jpg

IMG-6666.jpg
IMG-6510.jpg
IMG-6564.jpg
IMG-6416.jpg

Thank you again, everyone, for all of your help!

Attachments

• IMG-6416.jpg
    IMG-6416.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 44
Happy Gotcha day and congrats on your wonderful growth as a keeper. She’s a beautiful little lady and you’ve given her a beautiful little home. 🥰💗
I do have to add (it’s mandatory 😔) to be careful of which plants you give her. While that is a cute little pink flowering plant, its overall safety for her is unknown. If one of those lights is a good plant light, a hibiscus is a much safer tasty choice. :)

Is the plant with the pink flowers a kalanchoe?
Cute little female Chameleon!
Do you have an egg laying bin in her cage?
She’s likely producing eggs.…you do know they can lay eggs without being mated I hope?

Is the plant with the pink flowers a
kalanchoe
?
Cute little female Chameleon!
Do you have an egg laying bin in her cage?
She’s likely producing eggs.…you do know they can lay eggs without being mated I hope?
No, it's not a Kalanchoe...I heard about it somewhere and then found them at Home Depot a while back. I figured they would do well in my enclosure since they were from Madagascar. Let me look around and see if I can find the name, and I'll get back to you.

I do have a lay bin in her enclosure. It's in there off and on because she has a horrible habit of pooping in her bin, so I have to take it out, throw away the dirt/play sand, sanitize the bin, and replace it. I've done it like four times now...little stinker.

Yes, she has actually laid two clutches so far. Her first clutch had 31 eggs, second clutch on 1/28 with 24 eggs. She is actually, as of this week, showing her colors again, so I am getting ready for her to lay a third clutch. She is on the 'diet' as well.

No, it's not a Kalanchoe...I heard about it somewhere and then found them at Home Depot a while back. I figured they would do well in my enclosure since they were from Madagascar. Let me look around and see if I can find the name, and I'll get back to you.

I do have a lay bin in her enclosure. It's in there off and on because she has a horrible habit of pooping in her bin, so I have to take it out, throw away the dirt/play sand, sanitize the bin, and replace it. I've done it like four times now...little stinker.

Yes, she has actually laid two clutches so far. Her first clutch had 31 eggs, second clutch on 1/28 with 24 eggs. She is actually, as of this week, showing her colors again, so I am getting ready for her to lay a third clutch. She is on the 'diet' as well.
Lol, it is a Kalanchoe. A pink flaming Katy Kalanoche to be exact.

Just an fyi on the kalanchoe plant. Like everything on the interwebz, I can’t find 100% consistent info on toxicity. It does contain a toxin that can affect the heart, but some sources say a large amount would have to be eaten for that to occur. The other toxic effect is digestive upset.

Just an fyi on the kalanchoe plant. Like everything on the interwebz, I can’t find 100% consistent info on toxicity. It does contain a toxin that can affect the heart, but some sources say a large amount would have to be eaten for that to occur. The other toxic effect is digestive upset.
Thank you for sharing. I took both plants out and will keep my eye out for a hibiscus or another flowering plant. She really seemed to enjoy the flowers so I’d like to keep something like that in there for her.

They’re in theorie “safe” plants for terrarium and chameleon use and we know that plants like the Pothos are poisonous, however these plants are also “field” tested over years and shown no direct affect on them.

They’re in theorie “safe” plants for terrarium and chameleon use and we know that plants like the Pothos are poisonous, however these plants are also “field” tested over years and shown no direct affect on them.
Got it. I still have a lot to learn…

It’s important to know what it is exactly that makes the plant toxic. For pothos it’s calcium oxalates crystals. These can be irritating to the digestive tract, which is usually the reason it’s put on toxic plant lists. (Hope I‘ve got this next part correct.) While oxalates can bind to calcium and therefore reduce your animals blood calcium levels, these are already bound from the plant’s calcium so can’t bind to anymore.
Then look at a plant like foxglove. It’s toxic because it contains digitalis which can cause a heart arrhythmia that can be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom