Happy 1 year rehoming day, Flash!!

xraygirl

Established Member
I'm 2 days late, but we were visiting with family in Florida. We are back in South Carolina and I can finally post! Happy 1 year rehoming day, to my sweet blue boy, FLASH. Who has really gone through transformations in color and personality. I've rattled on about his story before, but (long story short for those who may be new), I found him on the Lakeland Craigslist just browsing one day and kept on browsing.... Then someone posted his ad in one of the chameleon groups on facebook, I clicked on his picture again, and after that I couldn't stop thinking about him. I originally wanted a "blue" chameleon of some locale, but found my little red nugget Chief first. So, I communicated with his owners for almost 2 months, exchanging pictures of Chief's cage, and just talking about husbandry. (It took me a good month to slowly convince the boyfriend to let me bring him home....hehehehe) The owners were sweet enough to hold him for me until I could get down there to get him.... Apparently people offered more money to get him right then and there, but the owners held out for me, saying that they felt better if he went home with me... And that's how it all started!

He was super skittish, and couldn't be handled without flying out of your hands. I got a weight on him 2 weeks after him being home and he was 164 grams (he's at 249 now). Worked with him slowly with hand feeding, slow movements, chin rubs, leaving his door open (he wouldn't come out), to hooking a fake vine inside his cage to a free range right next to it, and backing away. He slowly ventured out. It took 10 months for him to suddenly realize that the human = free range time. So now, every time he sees me come into the room, he's doing the "let me out" dance.

What is so cute about him, is he'll be doing his own thing, crawling around on something.... then stop, and look at me, and make a little "huff", like a "I'm disappointed in you" huff. If he sees me giving attention towards Chief's cage, he'll sit at his door, and literally "huff" (it's barely audible) to get my attention. I really thought I was hearing things, but he does this to let me know his distaste towards me (like for instance, picking him up off of something that he shouldn't be crawling on), or to get my attention.

He's extremely sweet, but shows me his beard to tell me he's the boss. But he's never attempted to bite me, and he hasn't hissed at me since the night I brought him home. I honestly thought he was going to be a "look, don't touch" chameleon..... turns out I was wrong :) He's so incredibly funny and full of it... I love coming home and letting him out to dominate the world (aka, the living room) I sure wish I had an age on him.

The first thumbnail has some pictures from when I first got him. :)

Attachments

• 1 year collage.jpg
    1 year collage.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 1 year collage_2.jpg
    1 year collage_2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 1 year collage_3.jpg
    1 year collage_3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 151
Love the collages! He is a beautiful guy and lucky that you took him home with you!
I just love him to bits.... I was kinda sad when we got home from FL because their lights had already turned out, and they were snuggled up to go to sleep.... I haven't seen my babies since Christmas Eve! Can't wait for tomorrow! :ROFLMAO:

Nice collages! (y)

Question: What type of moth is that in the 2nd collage?
It's a hawk moth, from a hornworm..... Flash was terrified of the big flappy monster. It had crawled on him, and he was frozen stiff, so I had to "rescue" him from the killer moth. ;)

Nice Collage!

Are thoughs orchids in his cage? or what are they and where did you get them?
No, that's actually my bathtub.... I have over 45 orchids now, and some of my vandas are as tall (or taller) than me. So they hang in our second bathrooms tub with lighting and easy access to water. I let the boys crawl around in there. The particular flower you are seeing is a Vanda orchid. It's a V. Robert's Delight "ink blue".

Nice Collage!

Are thoughs orchids in his cage? or what are they and where did you get them?

This picture is probably a year or two old... but I definitely have way more orchids stuffed in the bath tub this year. ;)

Attachments

• 1723799_246719552176901_541811292_n.jpg
    1723799_246719552176901_541811292_n.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 114
Hey Xraygirl,
Congratulations on a successful year with Flash. Your doing a great job with him, he looks happy and healthy, I like the collages
Dave

It's a hawk moth, from a hornworm..... Flash was terrified of the big flappy monster. It had crawled on him, and he was frozen stiff, so I had to "rescue" him from the killer moth. ;)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:, too funny!

I'm going to order some hornworms too. I want to see if my little guys likes them... And maybe I'll get to see what happens with one of these moths too! :D

Happy anniversary! May you have many more happy years together.
Thank you Jann! :love:

Hey Xraygirl,
Congratulations on a successful year with Flash. Your doing a great job with him, he looks happy and healthy, I like the collages
Dave
He is a very "healthy" boy, hehe :ROFLMAO:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:, too funny!

I'm going to order some hornworms too. I want to see if my little guys likes them... And maybe I'll get to see what happens with one of these moths too! :D
My guys love them. It took Flash a couple of days to figure it out what they were, and that they are edible. He gobbles them up whenever I offer them. Heck, he gobbles everything up! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom