Hansel

Peachypink

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I decided to name him Hansel, you know cause "that Hansel is just so hot right now". I already have DZ(Derek Zoolander, cause he's really really ridiculously good looking) so I thought I would stay with the Zoolander theme.

I got Hansel yesterday, 12-9-2016. He came to me with MBD. I noticed him on 11-16 at the pet store and let them know they needed to take him to the vet and be treated for MBD and a possible fracture. They did and the vet confirmed MBD and possible fracture with a density scan. They let me know about a week and a half ago that as soon as he was done with his liquid calcium on 12-14 that I could take him home. Instead they called me on Friday and wanted me to go ahead and take him, they felt he would do betting in the proper set up.

After getting him home, I went to their vet and picked up more liquid calcium and his vet record.

So far he is doing great. I have him in a temporary set up for a few weeks. He ate a super worm and 3 dubia a few hours after he came home. He had been hiding behind the big log pretty much ever since. He even slept hiding behind it last night. I think last night was the first night he has ever spent with lights completely out.

I hope to document his progress of rehabilitation here. He is the sweetest thing and SO PRETTY!!

IMG_9072.JPG
IMG_9073.JPG
IMG_9075.JPG
IMG_9077.JPG

Grabbed a quick pic of him sleeping tonight. He doesn't look super comfortable but at least he's not hiding behind the log tonight. Last night he slept horizontal behind the log.
IMG_9093.JPG

I'm so glad to hear you say that! And after getting home amd getting to observe him I would say he's pretty strong and that we caught this at a good time.

This morning I got him out to give him the liquid calcium. Little stinker about flipped out of my hand! Scared the begeesus out of me! But after not sitting still, flipping around, racing up my arm and trying to climb my hair 3 times I was able to coax his mouth open and give him his dose of calcium. Man, he's quick and had a crazy strong grip!

I always find it a bit weird how as someone who rescues animals who are not quite "domesticated", such as chameleons and other reptiles, and hamsters, birds occasionally... my point is I find it weird how I get happy when a rescue is grumpy and more likely to fight or bite because in my opinion they aren't super sick or are feeling better.

Little update on my man Hansel....

He's getting more and more comfortable around here. He started the first night sleeping completely sideways behind the log, then each night after he looks like he is getting closer and closer to sleeping comfortable. Last night we actually got a tine little tail curl!

He has not eaten since Saturday, the day I got him, so I am going to try again today with a different feeding cup and see if I can get him to eat. If not, I will be having to force feed him soon.

He does well with giving him the liquid calcium, he a little bit of a booger to get out as he hides but never hisses or gapes at me. I don't like stressing him out for that but it needs to be done.

I got a weight on him yesterday...from what I can tell he was 75g. He wouldn't sit still so that was the best I could get. I'm gonna rig something up better today to get him to stay on the scale. On the vet report they have him weighing in at 70.5g.

I'm going to get him in the shower today.

SO skinny it breaks my heart...but see the tiny tail curl?
IMG_9151.JPG

I always find it a bit weird how as someone who rescues animals who are not quite "domesticated", such as chameleons and other reptiles, and hamsters, birds occasionally... my point is I find it weird how I get happy when a rescue is grumpy and more likely to fight or bite because in my opinion they aren't super sick or are feeling better.
I love it when A Dilly hisses and lunges at me! If she doesn't hate me, I know something is wrong.

Hansel is lovely. I hope his appetite picks up! Force feeding is no fun, especially if he's not a gaper.

This morning I got him out to give him the liquid calcium. Little stinker about flipped out of my hand! Scared the begeesus out of me! But after not sitting still, flipping around, racing up my arm and trying to climb my hair 3 times I was able to coax his mouth open and give him his dose of calcium. Man, he's quick and had a crazy strong grip!
That's good! If he is still fighting you, that means he is still fighting for his life!

Got him to eat some wax worms!

And now he's taking a shower. He was not a fan to start but I think he's getting the hang of it. Check out the pic progression here. THIS is why you have to supervise showers. He was at the top and in 2.2 seconds was down hanging from the vines. He's done this little path about 10 times now. I can't take my eyes off him for a second!

IMG_9157.JPG
IMG_9161.JPG
IMG_9162.JPG
IMG_9163.JPG
IMG_9166.JPG

And then he turns and starts over again. Lol

Got him to eat some wax worms!

And now he's taking a shower. He was not a fan to start but I think he's getting the hang of it. Check out the pic progression here. THIS is why you have to supervise showers. He was at the top and in 2.2 seconds was down hanging from the vines. He's done this little path about 10 times now. I can't take my eyes off him for a second!

View attachment 171974 View attachment 171975 View attachment 171976 View attachment 171977 View attachment 171978

And then he turns and starts over again. Lol
That's awesome I so glad he didn't make you force feed him I feel he will be good as new very soon now that he is eating (y)

That's awesome I so glad he didn't make you force feed him I feel he will be good as new very soon now that he is eating (y)
I just wish he would eat the dubia. I'm trying some smaller ones to see if that helps. I REALLY don't want to feed crickets. I have some silks on order. I'm gonna try a few supers again tomorrow. He's even turned those down.

Because MBD chameleons can't move easily, often they can't shoot as easily. Crickets can get out of most feeders cups without a problem. I refuse to feed them to my Jackson because though she is far along in her recovery with mbd she would never successfully catch them in time to where they would become a problem. But thankfully she relishes roaches. Most chameleons with mbd have slower reactions, harder times placing their feet, harder times focusing their eyes, and a harder time shooting their tongue at a normal length or shooting it at all. None of my mbd rescues/rehabilitations get crickets right off the bat unless I just can't convince them to eat anything else I have that is gutloadable. So when I do feed chameleons with mbd crickets I cripple them.

Back
Top Bottom