hanging

Yea the light thing of course was just a joke as I only prefer one light, but like u said it could just very well be that she is just walking around and likes that spot. I know u seem to be pretty set on your current light set up but have u by chance just tried only one uvb, and watched her behavior? I only say that just because that seems to work great for almost everyone.

The first light I had was a self balasted mercury vapor lamp. It over heated my room and from 5 ft above the screen it was still getting the radiant temps of the metal up to 130. I took it back and got a 15W 18" linear 5.0 zoomed. I had trouble gettting enough light from it as it was the only other light besides a 60w incandescent attached to a desk near the cage to bask in. The bottom of the enclosrure was nearly pitch black and could not view her to save my life.

I picked up a 26w cfl style zoomed and it was great.
But after reading through the useful stuff in the lighting forum I decided to go and get another one to disperse the uvb over the majority of the canopy. They did not have any zoomed in stock so I picked up a reptisun. The zoomie puts out slightly more visible light.

The changes in her behavior from the one linear to the one zoomie compact was unbelievable. She quit crawling on the ceiling and walls and was actually moving about on the stems and foliage. With the addition of the second compact style uvb her behavior only continued to improve and she started to remain active throughout the entire day. Now she just tends to be weird and occasionally will cling to the cage as i first described in this forum. I am not sure if this is a behavioral thing or something to do with heat or light.

I have considered removing the two and adding a 24" T8 5500k grow light and a 24" T5Ho with a 6-12%arcadia bulb for uvb.

The enclosure is only 18"L x 18"W x 30"H right now.

I am hoping to wrap the utility shelf in screen in the next few months so she can utilize the entire 36"l x 18"w x 58"h of potentially usable space.

If you have any tips of where I can affordably get lights simmilar to what you are using I would really appreciate it :)

Yeah I think you need to tighten up the husbandry a little bit. 3 lights is very excessive and can hurt their eyes. If you dont think you are getting enough light, switch to the 10.0. but only one UVB is recommended and sufficient. I use t5 because my cages are 5 foot in height.

Young chameleons often hang from various locations in the cage. it will subside once they get older.

It is great that you are doing plenty of homework, keep it up!

Thanks! :)
oh and im not sure if it is a problem or if my eyes and assumptions are just out of controll... but the species of schefflera that your cham is chilling on in your profile picture appears to be one of the poisonous subspecies such as the schefflera amate -> http://houseplants-care.blogspot.com/2007/01/schefflera-plant-care.html

Man idk but it sounds like your having a time of it all. I just have the reptisun 5.0 18 in linear uvb.for basking I usually keep a hundred watt regular housebulb or if im feeling crazy ill go ahead and buy him the 75 or 100 watt zoomed basking bulb. Not to be confused with the mercury ballasted powersun, I stay away from those. I have the 2x2x4 enclosure and just pull the lamp back a ways to get the correct temps, that lights up my bigger cage just fine. Of course u probably can't usesuch high wattage bulb for yours, ut thats what I use for my veilled.

Back
Top Bottom