Handling.

Riddell1984

I have had Pascal nearly 2 weeks now. He is only 4 months old.
He clearly doesnt want to be handled. Now I dont want to be handling him as if he were a hamster but it would be nice if he were to get used to my hand. For example I'd like to be able to lift him out of the terrarium so that i can do maintenance and generally for his own stimulation every once in a while.
I dont want to ever have to grab him I want him to be able to walk onto my hand.
Are there any methods I can use to try and enable handling or should I except that he wants to be left well alone.

Give him a whole lot of time and patience. Offer him good wiggly worms and eventually he will probably become desensitized. Then, just work your way SLOWLY closer each time you offer him something. Once you can touch a branch in the cage, make your arm like an extension of the branch and hold the worm in your other hand back just enough that he has to come forward for it.

He clearly doesnt want to be handled. Now I dont want to be handling him as if he were a hamster but it would be nice if he were to get used to my hand. For example I'd like to be able to lift him out of the terrarium so that i can do maintenance and generally for his own stimulation every once in a while.
I dont want to ever have to grab him I want him to be able to walk onto my hand.
Are there any methods I can use to try and enable handling or should I except that he wants to be left well alone.
There are many ways to "build trust" such as offering feeders, starting with a stick, etc. Here's my experience:

My first male and female have always been pretty straightforward. They both learned early that hands = food or outside. My second male and female didn't get the memo. Both would gape and hiss, launch at hands and fingers - even when putting food in the cage, "hide" behind a branch, etc. The female is now the only one I don't have a "good relationship" with when it comes to handling. The male has grown to be just like all the rest. Even my WC has learned [sort of] that my hands offer food or free range.

My boys and girl will come to hands. My veiled girl will also walk right out to you. The WC and the youngest female require some work, but if you're willing to take the risk they will settle on the biting once out.

Now, it took a LONG time for the younger male to become more "docile". Time, patience, body language and knowing when to persist are the key factors. Move at their speed, think at their level and just keep at it.

Best of luck!

Give him a whole lot of time and patience. Offer him good wiggly worms and eventually he will probably become desensitized. Then, just work your way SLOWLY closer each time you offer him something. Once you can touch a branch in the cage, make your arm like an extension of the branch and hold the worm in your other hand back just enough that he has to come forward for it.
Thankyou. sounds like patience is the key. I will keep hand feeding him everyday until I make progress

I agree, the female panther Peri I had ate silks from my hand the same week I got her. My male panther I've had since November and he still wants to fight me every time I come close to the enclosure.

They are. Especially male veileds. I am super lucky to have a male and a female who are both VERY SWEET! Both make a b-line for me as soon as I open their enclosures.

Biggest piece of advice is to be patient. Took me 5 months before my panther came out on his own. Also leaving the enclosure door open while keeping a close eye helps and just hanging out reading a book or watching TV next to their enclosure. It just comes down to your chameleon trusting that you're not going to eat them. Everything is a threat to them.

I like the podcast on taming your chameleon by Bill Strand. It is episode 85. Not sure how to post the link. I found out in that episode that it is a great success if my chameleon will come out on one of my hands and eat out of the other hand. Etosha will do that so I feel I am doing better than I thought. This took months however.

Not an expert or anything, just telling what I did with mine. First time holding a chameleon (my girls father), I got bit because the breeder pulled him out if the cage. Gotta get bit once to show you're serious, right? I'm kidding.

Allow them to adjust and everything. I've had my girl since a hatchling and what I started with was a worm in the hand. I'd cut it into pieces (because she was so small). She'd eat a piece, and I'd slowly inch my hand closer to her and well...I'd pet her I guess (lightly rubbed one finger down side). I did this a couple times a week, or I'd just hold my hand out in the cage and just let it sit there, she'd watch and if it stressed her out, I'd leave her alone for 2 days, and cover her cage for a couple hours. I'd also act as if my hand was an obstacle, I'd lightly slip my finger in her "hand" and let her walk over it. After about a week of owning her she was cool with it. Now all she ever wants to do is come out (when she's not making clutches).

Then again....mine thinks she's a dog or something. She can't hiss and she doesn't attack at anything.

Attachments

• 20191228_173512.jpg
    20191228_173512.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom