Handling your Chameleons?

lilwish

How often does everyone hold thier Chameleons? I was told the more i handled them the better but I want to hear more views on this.

Does anyone have a cham that likes to be held?? :D

eeeeeehhhhhh......

I don't think so. Some chameleons seem to welcome being held. My first seemed okay with it. However, the one I have now would just as soon eat me as have me hold him.

I do not handle him at all. He can just move out of the way when I clean his realm if that's the way he's going to be.

I think you need to pay close attention to how your chameleon reacts. If he/she doesn't like it, then don't do it.

The mantra I learned is: People don't take their fish out to pet them.

Chameleons are sometimes the same.

well good then I know its not personal I thought maybe he just hates me!! because one I have flares up and tried to bite me when i went to get him out and the other loves me it comes right to me when i put my hand in there and is really hard to get back in the cage cuz it keeps grabing onto me. So i wont push it and try to hold him ;)

Out of my 6: 1 actively seeks interaction, 2 don't mind it, 1 moderately tolerates it, and 2 absolutely hate me. So how much I handle them depends on the personality of each. Obviously I try to leave the ones that don't like it as much alone as much as possible, but if the others are open to it then great. My friendly one is on my shoulder a lot during some days, just getting a ride around the house as I do chores.

My male Veild hates all people,and anything do do with people.People holding A female Veiled are on his kill list. lol His name is Big Nasty. My male panther is fine riding on my hat as i wonder about the house.For the most part chams see people as A possitive ( food source, change heat bulbs, ect.)or A negitive (forceful handeling,medicating,stressful stuff.Just treat all of them with respect and you wont get bitten verry often. lol And rember there not warm fuzzy puppys.

Is the bite of a Jackson's sever enough to cause stiches?

How rare is it for the Jackson's to actually like to be held?

They can draw blood, but I don't think they will require stitches. As for being held, well it's like asking someone if they like pickles on their hamburgers. Some do, some don't. You won't get an exact percentage of how many chams like to be held. And you can't really say that because they tolerate someone holding them that they actually like it. It could still be stressful for them.

Is the bite of a Jackson's sever enough to cause stiches?

How rare is it for the Jackson's to actually like to be held?

Jackson's I would have to say are one of the shyer more sensitive species-so I would say it is very rare they like to be held. As for the stitches, almost any of the medium to larger species can bite pretty hard-and it would depend on how and where on your hand they got you!

Last edited:
My situation is almost identical to Olimpia. And I took my little jackson out to get some sun a few days ago and he tolerates me, but he was plastered to my arm pretty much the whole time. He was comfortable enough to not run, and part of that may have just been attraction to true sunlight, but he certainly didn't enjoy it like my panther seems to. Oscar frequently gets to explore other areas of the house while I am doing chores or whatnot. He's going to be star of the show soon - taking him on tv for a short news segment on animals. I never thought I'd be able to take a cham, he's very unusual - in a good way. :) My veiled who hates the world bit me hard enough to draw blood. Hurt quite a bit for a day or two.

How often does everyone hold thier Chameleons? I was told the more i handled them the better but I want to hear more views on this.

Does anyone have a cham that likes to be held?? :D

My chams love to be on me. Luie would stay on me 24/7 if I allowed him to.

I free range all my animals and interact with them on a daily basis. My chameleons are very friendly and always have been. Even my babies were very friendly and most have remained friendly even the ones kept in cages. Take a look at this video from last year of my babies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzulorMdTE

Dont let em fool you mate, this bloke had a jacksons.....

They is killers!
images

:D

My chams love to be on me. Luie would stay on me 24/7 if I allowed him to.

I free range all my animals and interact with them on a daily basis. My chameleons are very friendly and always have been. Even my babies were very friendly and most have remained friendly even the ones kept in cages. Take a look at this video from last year of my babies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzulorMdTE

loved seeing the video Jann!!!!! i think i could pick Stanley out of the herd!!!!

i have one of Jannb's babies, had him for almost 10 months now and he is the friendliest little guy, loves to be out with me. i handle him several times a week for extended periods, on the days i can't, he clambers to the front of the cage and looks at me, i can tell he's wondering why i'm not getting him out.. ;(

Thank you Lisa and Nicole. I loved those babies so much. Sending them off to their new homes was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. :(

Reactions: Hoj
my guy love to be held or just hang with me but as people have said its a diff situation with each cham.

p.s. jann that video it too cool/cute love it!!!

Back
Top Bottom