Handling/trust-building question

ChameleonTherapy

Established Member
So, I have had Bodhi for almost two weeks now. I've been working on trust building every other day by trying to lure him out of his cage with a hornworm in the crook of my elbow and my hand outstretched well-below his level in the cage. He will eat them out of my hand no problem if I bring my hand close enough, but he won't come down to me. He got halfway down once this weekend.

In the beginning he used to come out to me whenever I took the screen cover off his baby bin, but after we put him in his big boy cage he likes it so much he doesn't want to come out. I know its just going to take patience and time to get him to come out, but I am open to hearing anybody's tips and tricks on other strategies. I have watched gingero's video on handling several times.

ALso I bought him a ficus tree over the weekend that is next to my desk upstairs where I work from home. I would like to bring him up to it to have some free range time while I work up here. Any thought on how I can get him out to bring him upstairs? I have tried using a stick for him to climb on as well.

I found that bsfl are real easy to hold between ur finger for a long period of time since they arent the most agile things xD I sorta pinch em and let it wiggle around to get Yoshi's attention.

I would put the ficus tree in front of his enclosure and wait for him to climb onto it. Just have to take baby steps and be veryyyyy patient. The fact that he is hand feeding is a big deal. Took Neptune MONTHS to finally hand feed from me. Keep sticking with it :)

I know its just going to take patience and time ...
what it all comes down to is time and a lot of patience.
Just have to take baby steps and be veryyyyy patient.
Am I sensing a pattern or theme here?... :unsure:?? :LOL:

I've been working with my dragon since the day I brought him home, and he still won't climb out on my hand unless there's a fat juicy superworm there (and they're fast). Even then, it's dart out, snarf that worm, and dash off. And these are supposed to be the "friendly" "social" lizards... :rolleyes:

At least he's stopped bearding, hissing, and biting me! ? And I can pick him up if he's in the mood. :rolleyes:

My point is, they're all individuals. Hopefully we can establish that trust, but at the same time we have to accept them for who they are. ;)

They are all very different in moving at their pace with trust... It has taken me two months with Bane to be able to just hand feed without him running away. Now he knows my hands mean food. I have literally worked with him every single day 3 times a day treat training. He will come to the front straight to me to get his treat. I have used this to my advantage. By slowly...... working the treat up my arm with my other hand so that he had to climb up on my hand to get it. He will not let me hold him so getting a weight is a bit tricky. But all the time and patience paid off last week. I was able to get him all the way up on my arm to carefully remove him to go to the table 2 feet away for a weight check. He was angry when he realized what happened... Eventually I hope that he will be like Beman where he understands that I will not hurt him. This way he will be able to go outside to an outdoor enclosure. But right now it is slowwwwwwwww moving. No more stress then necessary.

We each find what works for us. This happened to work really well for me with Beman although he warmed up and learned to trust me much quicker. I am using the same method with my newest baby Bentley as well. Right now he is learning that the treats are really yummy. He gets a few in his feeder cup each day. Then I will move into holding one up for him. I happen to use wax worms for trust building... Only when they are young though since they are a very fatty feeder. I have found that chams can not help themselves when it comes to a juicy wax worm lol.

I would put the ficus tree in front of his enclosure and wait for him to climb onto it. Just have to take baby steps and be veryyyyy patient. The fact that he is hand feeding is a big deal. Took Neptune MONTHS to finally hand feed from me. Keep sticking with it :)

I would do this but the tree is upstairs and the cage is downstairs. And this sucker is HEAVY. And I'm happy he's hand-feeding so soon; thanks for the encouragement there.

Just takes a long time with some. Just be consistent and move at thier pace, not yours?
Yup. ? When we got him he was quite skiddish as well, so that probably made a difference. It’s OK though cause I can do this everyday till he feels more comfortable.

It took me 5 months of daily hand exposure (literally leaving my hand near him in his cage so he knows I'm not a threat) and daily hand feedings to get my panther to walk onto my hand. This is my first chameleon and at the time I was nervous about getting bit and didn't want to stress him out so my mindset was he is only coming out if he willingly walks onto my hand.

Over a year later, he rarely will walk onto my hand to come out, but if I put my hand in there under his body and lift slightly he will grab on with his feet and then I just need to deal with his tail with my other hand. Just be careful with this, because you do not want to put pressure on his ribs/undercarriage, make sure to lift only when he has his mittens clamped onto your hand. It's not always the easiest to get him out, but the majority of times its doable. I wouldn't have expectations that your chameleon will just walk onto your hand when you put it in there since it's their comfort zone. While I've seen a few videos on youtube where this occurs, I think it's the minority. When I do get my boy out, he is completely calm and cool--no color changes, never has attempted to bite, his temperament is awesome. I know how it feels to want to hold your cham, but building that trust is key so try to be patient.

If you're just trying to get him out to allow free ranging or whatever, what I've done is connected 2 wooden trellis and then connected a rope from his cage to that. Out of curiosity he would walk across the rope onto this structure and hang out. You can try this with your tree, if it's large enough to support the weight.
IMG_20190427_191320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom