Handling/taming

vangarret2000

I have a 2 month old panther. He is super skidish. Only time I have handled him so far was when we first got him/put him in his tank. He would literally just try to jump if your hand he was so skidish. If your ham goes near him in the tank he runs or even just let's go o all his branches to get away faster.

For trying to make him handleable should I wait until a certain age or start now? And how long/ often should I handle him at first? And when do I start bumping it up?

Hi

We started handling our panther (male) from 6 months old. It was very slow process. Ge was puffing and roaring alot at first but over time he got used to our smell and knew we were sade and now he is tame as anything

My little guy who will be 3 months old on Monday does not like me going in his cage either. He does not puff up, gap, or hiss at me, but he goes to the very back corner and hides or tries to lean sideways to blend into the branches. He will not hand feed at all as I try it every 3 days but it is a no go, he just does the hiding or leaning thing. I think I am going to give him a couple months and then try again. He is very healthy and is over 6 inches long now with the tail, but maybe he is just not ready to be social. I was told to not get discouraged as he will realize in time that I am the one that provides food and will not hurt him.

i spend a lotta time sitting in front of the cage with the door open, usually reading or websurfing, i feel this makes them more comfortable with you.

I have a 2 month old panther. He is super skidish. Only time I have handled him so far was when we first got him/put him in his tank. He would literally just try to jump if your hand he was so skidish. If your ham goes near him in the tank he runs or even just let's go o all his branches to get away faster.

For trying to make him handleable should I wait until a certain age or start now? And how long/ often should I handle him at first? And when do I start bumping it up?
I have a four month old Veiled. I have only had him for two weeks on the 12th, but he is already getting used to me I think. When I am in the room, I'll open his cage and let him climb out (turning off the lamps so he doesn't burn himself. He'll climb out on his own, and now that I am feeding him regularly he is getting more used to me. He's not hissing, gaping, or really running from me.

I let him climb around a little in my room with vines I strategically placed in a safe area, and help him if he needs back up higher. That really helps a bunch for me. :) Just give him a little space to be himself, and be close enough so he can get used to you.

i spend a lotta time sitting in front of the cage with the door open, usually reading or websurfing, i feel this makes them more comfortable with you.

Definitely this. I can't say if it has helped or not but I've done that exact thing and Aesop is pretty friendly. Freeranging also helps. That's a later step though. If they are freaking out at the sight of you, you need to be patient and just build up some positive associations. Even if they won't hand feed you can still slowly put something in a cup in front of them, making sure they see it happen. Eventually they will learn that food comes from your hand and will loosen up :) It could take a while though, and they may just not be down with it at all, in which case you'll have to respect that.

Back
Top Bottom