Handling reptiles

Thatcher

Chameleon Enthusiast
I need help. I'm not very good at handling animals Im always scared and I was wondering if anyone could help me. (mainly for my leopard gecko)

Leopard Geckos tolerate handling but generally don’t ‘enjoy’ it much like chameleons, at least in my experience. For the sake of being able to take them out to clean the enclosure though I have found that hand feeding or tong feeding gets them used to you. Then get them used to your hand. They may lick it. When you place your hand in the enclosure, try to keep your finger still or they will think it’s food. If they are used to you there is little chance they will bite and if they do it is not harmful. I’ll see if I can find one of the videos that helped my family with handling our gecko.

Attachments

• DDAFCC75-41FB-4B3A-A28C-21A5911B03B5.jpeg
    DDAFCC75-41FB-4B3A-A28C-21A5911B03B5.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 63
I need help. I'm not very good at handling animals Im always scared and I was wondering if anyone could help me. (mainly for my leopard gecko)
What is it that you're afraid of?
  • Hurting the animal
  • Being bitten
  • Animal jumping/escaping
  • Other
  • All of the above

I’ve never been bitten by a leaopard gecko but I don’t think it would hurt that bad I have been bitten by a snake and chameleon and hey I lived in the other hand hurting the animal is different if ur just gentle and always work with it they will get used to u like the first responder said just keep working w em

OK. As long as you allow him to stand on your hand, and don't put a hand around (grabbing) him, the only way he could get hurt is jumping off of your hand. This can be reasonably foreseen, so practice inside the enclosure until you're more comfortable/confident. Once he's comfortable with you, he'll have less reason to jump.

More on holding if/when necessary: holding leopard gecko

So, do Leopard Gecko bites hurt? No, generally the bites of a Leopard Gecko don’t hurt. While the bites of baby Leopard Geckos don’t hurt at all, the bites of adult Leopard Geckos are nothing to be worried about as they don’t have big teeth.
https://reptilecraze.com/do-leopard-gecko-bites-hurt/

I suggest reading the entire article. :)

What I do for my Leo’s is gently scoop them up and hold them flat on my hand. If they want to move around I let them go back and forth between my hands. Leopard geckos are usually docile, but some are weirdos and freak out with handeling. I have two like this so sometimes while checking them out or moving them from their enclosure I have to grip them securely, but I’m pretty sure yours won’t be like this.
31B29644-84FC-45F7-87E6-6474DD611680.jpeg

How to normally hold a calm leopard gecko.
44551E9C-7C18-4183-83FD-1C47E769D1FF.jpeg

How to hold a leopard gecko that seeks vengeance on everything including you.

Leopard gecko bites aren’t bad and usually don’t draw blood. Just a small pinch. Just pretend it hurts so you don’t hurt their feelings.
958A129E-B5EC-45CD-B1F0-CB8297DB8802.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom