Handling a Veiled

chamlove

I recently got a baby Veiled and was wondering if handling him is a good idea, i would think it would get him used to being handled and make it so he is not as aggressive. Please let me know if i am wrong in thinking this.

Unfortunately, chameleons don't particularly like to be held. No chameleon likes to be held they just put up with it. If you search the site you will see that most everyone handles their cham only to clean their cage and the occasional photo shoot. A cham is like a piggy bank for stress, every time you handle it or put any excess stress on it you depositing stress into his "stress bank." I read on here somewhere that the number one killer of chameleons is it being over stressed.

Yeah, handling chameleons is definitely not recommended and should not be done frequently. It is a major stressor and excess stress can decrease a cham's lifespan. Most people only handle them when they have to clean the cage well or for a little health check. Of course the occasional photo shoot comes up now and then, but overall handling should be kept to an absolute minimum. I've only handled my veiled twice and he doesn't enjoy it and therefore I don't enjoy it. Just keep your cham's best interests in mind. Some chams may fall when trying to get away from you and it's not worth the risk to put them in danger, in my opinion

It all depends on the cham. I am a great believer that chams are a 'look but dont touch' pet. Saying that I have 4 chams and they are not over handled at all. The only time they get handled is on a monthly basis when their cages get a thorough cleaning as well as getting a good once over for any health problems and the occasional photo and that is it. Any other moving is done via a branch to a free range area and they over time have associated the branch with a fun time. 3 of my chams I got as adult rescues and over time learnt to tolerate me and the occassional human touch and are fine and dandy being on their own and undisturbed in their cages. My 4th I got as a baby and is slightly different as he really hates being caged and has the choice between being in his cage and free ranging. He is definately more social and will tolerate me more than the others. Has this got anything to do with me getting him as a baby where he got used to me earlier than the others or is it just his laid back temperment? I am not sure :)

It does stress them to be handled and some can tolerate it more than others. Its something that I have thought about a lot and I think as long as you limit your handling to cage cleaning and for a health check & dont over handle them you are fine.

Not looking forward to carrying a 2x2x4 outside for a panther everytime I think it's a really nice day out. Sure lights work, but everyone loves the sun.

Are they usually tolerant if you pick them up on a somewhat normal basis and stick them in a sunning cage for the day?

You could buy 2 cages?

If its in your budget...? Otherwise there is many threads on cheap Do it yourself Cages :)

Hope that helps

That's what I mean. If I had an oustide cage and an inside cage would it stress a panther out to carry him from one to the other on a somewhat normal basis?

Not looking forward to carrying a 2x2x4 outside for a panther everytime I think it's a really nice day out. Sure lights work, but everyone loves the sun.

Are they usually tolerant if you pick them up on a somewhat normal basis and stick them in a sunning cage for the day?

Uhm... Mine is tolerant just not if i keep moving her, thats when she gets mad, All chameleons are differant, some are nice some are mean, some, as mine is are in between, She has her days :p

So, geuss the answer would be.. Yeah they tolerate it usually... Just if they get mad. then watch out :p

my chameleon is normally smart... i have a stick up top, she climbs to it, and gets on my arm, when she wants out, and when she want to stay she doesnt do anything.

;)

All though, i did read a thread a while back..

Someone said there chameleon never minded it, and all of a sudden hates it!

I geuss they change?

:p I geuss this isnt much help but yeah...Your chameleon should be fine.

Temperment is a funny thing. Sorry to threadjack but I guess everyone got their questions answered for the most part. Thank you New Owner.

Yup, Btw, Chambabysitter, i dunno if i said already... welcome to the forums, what you did was a good thing :)

Im going to bed now.. :D

Goodnight,

-Levi

Back
Top Bottom