Handling 3-4 month chams

Hell yea my panther no likey me lol. Is not curious about whats outside his cage either. But I'm waiting for him to come around

They tend to spaz a little at this age until they get a bit older. I found that they mellow out around 10 months to a year. I use a stick to pick them up at that age. It's easier for them to hold onto.

They tend to spaz a little at this age until they get a bit older. I found that they mellow out around 10 months to a year. I use a stick to pick them up at that age. It's easier for them to hold onto.

The female i got from you does good she doesnt freak out like the others i have. The same day i got her she ate out of my hand pretty awesome!!!

Ok i feel better,just making sure it wasnt just me lol. yea cant wait till they come around

Yupppp it kills me a little inside when I read posts about juvenile chams that run straight out of their cage and onto their owners hand. cause my guys having non of it! And he'll even flair up if I try to get him on a stick to move him to his free range area :(

Yupppp it kills me a little inside when I read posts about juvenile chams that run straight out of their cage and onto their owners hand. cause my guys having non of it! And he'll even flair up if I try to get him on a stick to move him to his free range area :(

My nosy be which is almost 4 months will let me hand fed him but if you try to get him out he will jump run whatever he can do not to get out. My female nosy be does the same thing but she won't even eat out of my hand :(.

most of mine have been pretty chill at those ages w/ a few exceptions; and i try to work with those a little more to “bring them around”. in most cases i’ve made progress. i do have a few that will gape and puff, but no attempts to bite.

most of mine have been pretty chill at those ages w/ a few exceptions; and i try to work with those a little more to “bring them around”. in most cases i’ve made progress. i do have a few that will gape and puff, but no attempts to bite.

Mine don't try to bite me. What did you do? I hand fed and talk to them
I only try to get them out about twice a week

My nosy be which is almost 4 months will let me hand fed him but if you try to get him out he will jump run whatever he can do not to get out. My female nosy be does the same thing but she won't even eat out of my hand :(.

We're in the same boat.. I just tried to get my guy on a piece of bamboo and for once he actually jumped on but as I started to pull him outa the cage he was not having it. He'll hand feed no problem but I think I made his cage too awesome or something he doesnt wanna leave!
Also I read that making eye contact with them while trying to handle them is not the way to go, but how else do you look at them?!

Dr. O could you elaborate on how you work with them to bring them around? Is it anything in particular or just extra love and care?lol

We're in the same boat.. I just tried to get my guy on a piece of bamboo and for once he actually jumped on but as I started to pull him outa the cage he was not having it. He'll hand feed no problem but I think I made his cage too awesome or something he doesnt wanna leave!
Also I read that making eye contact with them while trying to handle them is not the way to go, but how else do you look at them?!

Dr. O could you elaborate on how you work with them to bring them around? Is it anything in particular or just extra love and care?lol

Yea hell if you don't make eye contact the could get out them little ones are fast!!! I also wondered if you should try a lot or alittle don't want to stress them out but want them comfortable with me

nothing really magical, just several strategies.

-i definitely agree about the eye contact, they don’t like it if they’re scared. so i just use my peripheral vision. it really makes a huge difference; they may start to relax but if you look at them again they immediately tense right back up.

-for the really nervous ones i may pick them up for all of 10-20 seconds with my hand still in the cage, and then put them right back down. i want them to learn that i’m not a threat and they will not be hurt by me. over the course of months the times get longer and longer, we leave the cage boundaries, and i may just sit still in a chair and let them explore a bit.

-my hands rarely enter their cage without dropping some food around, and although i’m one of the few to use a commercially-made duster (covered in another thread a while back) i always use it since they really seem to recognize it and start to gather around for food. by them seeing the shaker most are already keen on being fed so that’s when i often get them to start eating from my fingers, or use that time to pick them up while they already have a positive association going on in their little heads.

-almost daily i bring a few inside to sit on some decorative bamboo in the corner of my living room, and then leave them there for a few hours while i’m around. that way they’re 6’ off the ground and feel protected, but observe humans and bulldogs running around along with whatever frequencies their hearing may be picking up.

-the most promising sign that they are responding for me is when i let them wander freely around my body/chair, and they begin using their tongues to taste things. that’s a really good sign of a relaxed cham imo; they’re curious about exploring and are not on the defensive. so it’s the goal that i set for them, i want to be licked!! :D

if i think of anything else i’m doing i’ll add it on.

o-

-i definitely agree about the eye contact, they don’t like it if they’re scared. so i just use my peripheral vision. it really makes a huge difference; they may start to relax but if you look at them again they immediately tense right back up.

-for the really nervous ones i may pick them up for all of 10-20 seconds with my hand still in the cage, and then put them right back down. i want them to learn that i’m not a threat and they will not be hurt by me. over the course of months the times get longer and longer, we leave the cage boundaries, and i may just sit still in a chair and let them explore a bit.

-my hands rarely enter their cage without dropping some food around, and although i’m one of the few to use a commercially-made duster (covered in another thread a while back) i always use it since they really seem to recognize it and start to gather around for food. by them seeing the shaker most are already keen on being fed so that’s when i often get them to start eating from my fingers, or use that time to pick them up while they already have a positive association going on in their little heads.

-almost daily i bring a few inside to sit on some decorative bamboo in the corner of my living room, and then leave them there for a few hours while i’m around. that way they’re 6’ off the ground and feel protected, but observe humans and bulldogs running around along with whatever frequencies their hearing may be picking up.

-the most promising sign that they are responding for me is when i let them wander freely around my body/chair, and they begin using their tongues to taste things. that’s a really good sign of a relaxed cham imo; they’re curious about exploring and are not on the defensive. so it’s the goal that i set for them, i want to be licked!! :D

o-

Yes please do. That was very helpful, now with your bamboo you put your little ones in there? Also I've notice the babies have a hard time climbing on that do you by chance have a pic? Thanks for the advice :)

along with whatever frequencies their hearing may be picking up.

o-
Is that what hes doing?!?! I always thought that was a bad sign and to stay away! haha when hes actually just tasting stuff! thats a relief. But the eye contact is going to take ME awhile, lol. I cant help it.

Thanks Dr.O ill start incorporating these things into my routine!

Yes please do. That was very helpful, now with your bamboo you put your little ones in there? Also I've notice the babies have a hard time climbing on that do you by chance have a pic? Thanks for the advice :)

this is the “bamboo”; it’s a decorative piece that they sell in different colors at World Market. since they can climb down (but usually go up) i’m actually going to flip it upside down and screw it into the ceiling so it’s an “unescapable” perch. my adult chams like Pixel or Bacchus will often sleep the night away on it as well.

also i’m not doing this with hatchlings or anything, rather more when they are 2-3+ months. since i prefer to sell them older it gives me plenty of time.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/boys-bamboo-103582/

Is that what hes doing?!?! I always thought that was a bad sign and to stay away! haha when hes actually just tasting stuff! thats a relief. But the eye contact is going to take ME awhile, lol. I cant help it.

Thanks Dr.O ill start incorporating these things into my routine!

they do have a vomeronasal organ (Jacobson’s organ) like snakes do, so it’s essentially the same thing. just touching their tongues to surfaces to “sniff” them.

this is the “bamboo”; it’s a decorative piece that they sell in different colors at World Market. since they can climb down (but usually go up) i’m actually going to flip it upside down and screw it into the ceiling so it’s an “unescapable” perch. my adult chams like Pixel or Bacchus will often sleep the night away on it as well.

also i’m not doing this with hatchlings or anything, rather more when they are 2-3+ months. since i prefer to sell them older it gives me plenty of time.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/boys-bamboo-103582/

Um that's cool I remember seeing that thread. I've never seen anything like that I might have to check out our hobby lobby I don't think they sell that at our local Walmart. Cool thank you so much for all your help

Back
Top Bottom