Half Albino chameleons

There are so many cooler chameleons out there- for me-- But respectfully to each his or her own.. )Tipping my hat(

This is an interesting fella :)
14052011479.jpg

What about possible issues with skin cancer or similar problems down the road - seems those "open" areas surely would not protect the underlying flesh from U.V. radiation as well as "normal" areas. I am no expert and not trying to make a claim here....just a thought. To each is own, but to me they look like they were splashed with boiling water and scalded!

What about possible issues with skin cancer or similar problems down the road - seems those "open" areas surely would not protect the underlying flesh from U.V. radiation as well as "normal" areas. I am no expert and not trying to make a claim here....just a thought. To each is own, but to me they look like they were splashed with boiling water and scalded!

Yes I this is a serious point, aside of whether you like them or not, although naturally occur in the wild it could a disadvantage to have this colouration both in terms of skin protection and predation?

Met a big breeder of Bearded Dragons here in the UK the day (he has hundreds of breeding adults) and he was talking about the selective breeding to see how far the 'leatherback' gene (smooth and no scales on the back) could go. He said that he has a small group of selective breed beardies that now require cream to be applied as the skin is now so thin on the back. He told me that was a far as he would go and that these animals would be well cared for the rest of their life, but they would never be sold or breed from. He now concentrates on nicely coloured healthy beardies and is not inclined to ever breed this selectively again. Some things are just best left alone ...

I just don't like them, they ugly looking. :D

I have to agree here. If someone finds them cool, well, that's the freedom of choice. I can't imagine why anyone would select a colorless form of an animal famous for its amazing ability to show brilliant color and also change its color! But, I've never understood the whole "patternless" morph idea in snakes either. What some consider a boring, ordinary, inexpensive "normal" ball python I feel is intricately beautiful (and each is unique too!)

I know naturally occurring diversity is due to genetic mutation (the majority of which express themselves as negative traits or disadvantages for the animal), but this particular one, naturally occurring or not, just looks like a real defect.

Back
Top Bottom