Had to share with you guys… thoughts on this?

I mean, idk this person and I don't do or watch tiktok. I'm not sure of her general husbandry, but overall people do worse. She at least seems to care and put effort into her cham? She's also just showing his reaction, not sure if all day she's harassing her cham. I mean all of us piss our chams off taking monthly photos for the contest...

Panthers generally warm up to handling with time, but some species never do. My Parsons I have to handle 1-2x a week during winter. He's very passive, but he stresses out everytime. No amount of enticing or taming will get him to be okay with it. So I have to gently 'force' him onto my hand to move him, weigh him, etc. As long as it's not an all day thing I don't think it's a problem.

At least she doesn't put her hand over the chameleon's back and "pull" him off the branches. He seems to be less stressed than a lot I've seen.

Other than the handling....chameleon looks healthy...but...Fogger on during the day...plastic plants....dry moss in the cage?

I know for a fact that handling snakes when they clearly dont want to be held is basically mandatory, unless you want an animal that sees you as a threat and has the ability to "deal with it" (large pythons, anacondas)

It also helps most other species calm down as well and eventually see people as non threatening, or even interesting and fun, a state of mind they would never reach if we did what they wanted all the time.

Doubly so for varanids.

Granted these aren't chameleons, but a case could be made for basic conditioning, an animal that begrudgingly tolerates you is healthier in the long run, than an animal that fears for its life every time it sees you.

Ultimately it's balancing your needs with the species, a panther handles contact better than trioceros hoehnelii for example.

Last edited:
I have wondered some of the same things about handling. There are conflicting advice. My honeys Rou and Blythe hate me 😂 so slow training is having little to no impact. If anything, with my girl Rou, the lack of touching her seems to make he super pissed when I do touch her.

I’ve seen some folks say handle them 30 mins once or twice a day, even if they hate it, to get them to eventually see you won’t eat them. Idk. I’m going to finish their outside free range tree this week and I made them an inside free range, I really want them to be able to use them. I worry about stressing them out and shortening their already short lives 😩

Back
Top Bottom